“Dining at its best”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Sea Ranch
manhattan, NY
“Dining at its best”
Reviewed September 20, 2006

Nice rooms, nice staff, great property--now that's out of the way, let's talk about the dining. Absolutely the best meal we've ever had! Top quality chef must be there, but in Gualala area? I had to read the property's web site to find out, and did! Do yourself a favor and read about this guy, you are sure to see headlines all over America as soon as word gets out. Take some time a visit this place, not for the lodge, not for the great service, but go just for the FOOD. We've dined around the world and this is clearly up there with Michelen 3 stars in Europe and Mobile 5 stars in America minus the stuffy elegance. Wish we lived closer just so we could eat there more often!

• Liked — Quiet and Private
  • Tips/Secrets — Make dinner reservations and eat at the lodge every night
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank forloveorfood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
California
Reviewed August 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Sea Ranch Lodge in early June. Since we were there Sunday-Wednesday, our stay felt very private, which is what we wanted. The place is probably much busier Friday-Saturday. (We actually originally planned for a Saturday night stay too but no rooms were available that one night.)

We enjoyed our accommodations and especially the ocean view from our room. I even asked the front desk where I could purchase similar linens and bedroom furniture (which would work wonderfully in our guestroom at home) but alas they didn't possess the information.

The breakfasts were so delicious and filling. We ate dinner once in the main dining room and once in the little bistro/cafe area. They were ok meals, a bit overpriced but convenient for guests like us who wanted to take it easy and stay in. We drove into neighboring Gualala for one dinner.

There seem to be some nice trails though we didn't take advantage of them -- opting to play Scrabble, sleep, read, and take advantage of the free Internet access. It was very relaxing.

Our one main complaint is that Sea Ranch was going under renovation during our visit. The construction noise was very loud and took place right next to our room. Given how the lodge was practically empty during our stay, we should have been given another room when we checked in. Upon our departure, we told the front desk. (We probably should have complained earlier.)

Anyway, unexpectedly, a note from the lodge came a few days after our return home. In it was a sincere apology for the noise along with a gift certificate for a future 2 night weekday stay at the lodge. We greatly appreciated the kind gesture and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mypenguin
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed August 20, 2006

My husband, daughter and I just stayed at the Lodge for 4 nights in a second-floor corner room facing the ocean. The concept of this lodge -- small, rustic, unobtrusive, amid stunning natural beauty -- is perfect, and we loved it. Our room was large and roomy and had a very high ceiling. We didn't experience any "thin walls" problems, and the breakfast included in the room rate was fine. The problems with the Lodge are that they desperately need to (1) enlarge and update the bathrooms, (2) invest in better sheets, towels and laundry service, and (3) better manage the cleaning staff. We are not "large" people by any stretch of imagination, but each one of us had difficulty squeezing into the bathroom. The sheets and towels are worn and stained. The cleaning staff seems disorganized and disappears after 3 p.m. I would love to come back to stay at the Lodge if they would only make a bit more effort to take care of it. I would even be willing to pay more for it.

Stayed August 2006
7 Thank Drer
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed August 12, 2006

This is a great get away with great views. The rooms are nice, not anything special but clean and nice. The beds are soft and comfy with lots of extra pillows. They have individual thermostats, which I like, and the other amenities like hair dryers and shampoo etc. I had the two room suite and the second bedroom is in the back with no ocean view. The bathroom was small for two people much less three or four but it was clean and fairly new. The walking trails are awesome as is the beach. The hotel has thin walls and you can hear other guests quite clearly in your room. We were there three nights and maid service completely missed our room one day. When I inquired about it at the desk I was told they were gone for the day. I asked if I could at least have fresh towels. They took them to my room for me, walked past the unmade beds and the wet towels on the bathroom floor and left them on the dirty bathroom counter. (For this we paid $240 per night). At least I had clean towels. The food was good. The fish of the day was the same two days in a row as was the soup. But it was good. I recommend lunch in Gualala at Trinks.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Maid Service
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank FatherMckenzie
San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 5, 2006

While I am certain other reviewers had an enjoyable experience at Sea Lodge, I feel obligated to temper their enthusiasm with my own review as I can attest to a less-than-mediocre experience at The Sea Ranch Lodge. We visited the Lodge over the 4th of July weekend, so it was probably booked solid. Our room was the one we reserved. However, the bed was old and soft. The towels were not soft and new. The view of the ocean was great, but we could hear our neighboring room's dog barking. We could also hear our other neighbor talking to his small kids. In other words, the walls are thin. The bathroom needs updating. In fact, the whole room needed updating.

At the Sea Ranch Restaurant, breakfast was much better than dinner. Our dinner experience was a disappointment. We should have driven into Gualala. My halibut was too salty and my fiance's lamb was undercooked. The executive chef featured in their ad was not the same one cooking that night. I guess he has moved on. The service was slow and unattentive.

Location was by far the redeeming quality of this hotel. It's a nice drive out there and it's great to walk along their trails. But, please know that the Lodge is not top-notch.

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank Bonboko13
Forestville, California
Reviewed May 3, 2006

At a special Spring rate of $149 for an ocean view room with Queen bed, we expected an adequate, but “nothing special” room--and we were so wrong! The extremely comfortable, quiet lodging was impressive, from its soaring beamed ceiling, generous use of woods, fresh flowers, and subdued “colors of nature” decor, to the sunny windowseat/daybed with large window framing a full ocean view with a quaint, old barn in the foreground, we found our 2nd floor accommodations to be one of the best lodging experiences on the Calif. coast that we’ve ever had--at half the price of many. We left a window open at nite and fell asleep to the sounds of the ocean, and in the morning we awoke to birdsongs. The room rate inc’d a full breakfast in the Lodge’s dining room with several choices of entrees, plus “right-out-of-the oven” baked bread and slices of fresh fruit. We also had dinner in their restaurant and sat at a corner table with 2 walls of windows around us with a lovely view of sunset over the ocean. Altho’ dinners are expensive, our halibut and filet entrees were expertly prepared and delicious. The Lodge also has a separate lounge with an attractive fireplace that invites one to sit and read or converse, or simply admire the surroundings, including the artwork of local artists. Steps away from the Lodge buildings are trails that meander to magical coves, bluffs and cypress trees--and to the picturesque barn we viewed from our windows. The landscape was strewn with iris, goldfields, poppies and many other brilliantly colored wildflowers. The views of the rugged coastline were wonderful. We walked, explored and photographed for hours during our stay. If you need a place to revitilize or just contemplate, this wonderful lodge is it!

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank Forestvillian
SF, CA
Reviewed April 27, 2006

My two colleagues and I took advantage of a mid-week reasonable rate to get away on an office retreat to the Sea Ranch Lodge. The setting was perfect for our needs - comfortable, ocean view rooms, little touches that make a difference (bottled water, fresh fruit, special toiletries and teas, good linens and pillows, window seats w/ plenty of pillows, a great comfortable leather reclining chair). The free breakfast was terrific both in selection and quality - the best oatmeal I've ever eaten. We felt at home when no one pushed us out as we conducted informal meetings at various places in the lodge restaurant and other common rooms. They were even happy to serve us lunch outside the restaurant. The warm, spring weather was an added treat. Even though the purpose of our trip was work-related, the environment could not have been more relaxing. I have been to private homes in Sea Ranch many times, but the hike along the coast never fails to astound. Gualala and other surrounding towns leave a lot to be desired in the way of restaurants, except for St. Orres, a dining experience one should not miss - dishes prepared well from strictly seasonal offerings and at a reasonable prix fixe price. I am planning a return trip with my husband as I write....

Stayed April 2006
#1 of 2 in Point Arena
Terra Glamping
Terra Glamping
#1 of 1 in Stewarts Point

Been to Sea Ranch Lodge? Share your experiences!