Sea Ranch Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Timber Cove Resort(Jenner)(Great Value!)
$259
$251
Orbitz.com
Fort Ross Lodge(Jenner)(Great Value!)
$149
Hotels.com
$105
Super 8 Cloverdale(Cloverdale)(Great Value!)
$124
$95
$135
$125
Geyserville Inn(Geyserville)(Great Value!)
$179
TripAdvisor
All reviewswindow seathiking trailsthe northern california coastadirondack chairsgas fireplacehot tubocean viewbeautiful propertyblack point grillsitting areacomplimentary breakfastgualalacoastlinedeerwildflowersinsulationwhales
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 26, 2005

I don't understand why the Sea Ranch is listed with 2 stars. It is very elegant and a wonderful place to stay. We had made reservations down the road at Timber Cove and it was awful so we took a chance on a room being available at Sea Ranch. I loved it so much I wrote them later asking where I could by the furniture and linens. I can't think of a thing wrong with the place. The rooms are gorgeous with thick down comforters and $1500 Barcalounger recliners. I'm still trying to find the chairs for my living room.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank CottonwoodBonnie
Reviewed September 4, 2005

I own a home at The Sea Ranch and we eat very often at the Lodge. Haven't stayed there in 20 years but we frequently walk to the Lodge for cocktails (best Bloody Mary's on the North Coast) and dinner. Yes, the restaurant is worth our five mile hike. We always make a point of returning for dinner sometime during our stay.
I want to correct a notation regarding The Sea Ranch weather. Winter fog may obscure our mornings but usually burns off by 10 AM. And it doesn't happen every day. Summers are usually bright and sunny EVERY day. This part of the Coast is sometimes called a Banana Belt since it projects outward to the south into the Pacific Ocean and the weather is very predictable.
I have always found the Lodge accommodating and gracious. Service is attentive and responsive. The food has improved over the years and is reliably good. There are restaurants in Gualala, 10 miles north, but we still prefer the Lodge. We are used to good food and wine since we live in Napa. The wine list is overpriced. Bring your own and pay the $15 corkage and you'll stay ahead of the game. Beer is $6. Expect to spend about $120-150 for two for a complete meal, or their tasting menu (includes tip).
Have a great time, the Lodge is worthy of your attention.
AK, Napa, CA

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank TnisFan
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 29, 2004

My new husband and I traveled up the Northern California coast after our October wedding. We had a wonderful time at the Sea Ranch lodge for the two nights that we stayed their (We wished we could have stayed more!). The dinners were incredible (fresh fish, and all of the meals had the freshest ingredients), and the complimentary breakfast was amazing!

Our room looked out over the ocean (but I don't think their would be a bad room in the entire lodge). The staff tended to our every need with a smile - and the massage was much needed.

We would recommend the Sea Ranch Lodge for anyone wanting a few days of TOTAL relaxation. Bring your jacket, and walk the trail along the coast for an additional treat.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 26, 2004

We found "Heaven on Earth" at the Sea Ranch Lodge. The very friendly staff, the gorgeous ocean view from our room, the delicious food served in their restaurant, the walking trails, frolicking deer, playful seals, spouting whales. If you really want to get away and relax, this is the place.

6  Thank gervais2013
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 15, 2004

First of all, lest you think I'm someone from the hotel writing this review, I'll start off with the cons. There are very few.

First, expect the weather at The Sea Ranch to be overcast most of the time. My wife and I liked it, though. Second, the restaurant is very romantic and gourmet, but my wife didn't enjoy either her appetizer or main course. The hotel is not adults-only, so there were a few instances of loud little kids around us at the restaurant and the main parts of the lodge. And finally, our room wasn't stocked with new coffee, enough toilet paper or conditioner, perhaps because we arrived early and they hurried to accommodate us.

Now, the pros: the Sea Ranch Lodge is truly a little slice of heaven. It has the glow of first-class luxury, the intimacy of a private retreat, and the super-friendly and accommodating service of a four-star boutique hotel. All with dramatic ocean views from almost every corner of the hotel.

My wife and I just took a week-long trip up the coast to Big Sur, San Fran, The Sea Ranch, and Mendocino. The Sea Ranch was by far the highlight. When we first entered the lobby after our drive from S.F., we were enveloped in soothing Zen-like music, clean polished wood, and a homey atmosphere that made it seem like we were in a millionaire's vacation hideaway.

We walked down to the restaurant, which offers sweeping ocean and cliff views, then into the solarium -- our favorite part of the place. The solarium a sort of hallway with floor-to-ceiling, uninterrupted windows facing the field behind the hotel and the ocean beyond. Seated at a cocktail table while waiting for our room to be ready (again, we were early), we had rich local beers in frosty glasses. It was the perfect vacation moment -- private, scenic, and flavorful. We couldn't help but feel immediately relaxed and pampered.

The Lodge upgraded us for our anniversary, and our second-floor (of two floors) accommodations were spacious, with a raised ceiling and a sitting area in front of corner windows overlooking the walking paths down to the ocean. I felt I could sit with a glass of wine and a newspaper all day in this delightful spot. But we were dying to get out and stroll the resort's inviting trails across fields and ocean bluffs. There's even a secluded beach nearby. Afterwards, we drove 10 minutes to the town of Gualala, where we bought wine, bread and cheese from two "supermarkets".

Dinner, as I said earlier, could have been better, though the service was crisp and friendly. My wife's veggie roll looked and tasted like it was from the supermarket, and she said her halibut was "fishy". My heirloom tomato napolean was good, and my steak was terrific, if a bit pricy at $34.

We went to sleep very satisfied that night, with the pin-drop silence a welcome change from our nights in San Francisco.

The next day we had the hotel's complimentary breakfast, which was decent if not sumptuous. Then we headed out, sorry we had to leave.

I've been raving about The Sea Ranch Lodge since our return, and I hope you'll look into staying there. We paid a slightly discounted $150 (usually $165), and were upgraded to a $265 room (I think). It was worth every penny, unlike our accommodations in Mendocino. But that's another story.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member