“An enthusiastic 5 stars”
Review of Sea Ranch Lodge

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Sea Ranch
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The views are awesome, the ambience is casual, our room (#11) was lovely and the bed was comfortable. The Lodge and grounds are clean and well maintained. Without exception, the staff was cheerful, friendly, and eager to help. Our room had large corner windows with two inviting window seats complete with plush pillows and soft throw blankets. The windows could be opened to let in the sea air and, when the weather cooled down, the gas fireplace lit with a turn of the dial. We didn’t miss having a TV at all, but did appreciate the reliable wifi. In the mornings a deer and her spotted fawn paused to munch grass just outside our windows. The restaurant served a generous complimentary breakfast with a nice variety of choices from the menu. Everything we ordered from the lunch and dinner menus was reasonably priced and well prepared with seasonal local produce and fresh seafood. I especially enjoyed the fish & chips with sweet potato fries. The walking trails are well defined, and there are bike trails as well. Everything about our stay was a 5-star experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
shakey26, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Ginnie G

Thank you for your wonderful review. It sounds like your visit struck a positive chord on everything from our accommodations and service to the natural splendor that The Sea Ranch represents. The really isn't anything more for me to add as we are always striving to make every guests' experience match yours.

We look forward to your next visit.

SEA RANCH LODGE

There are newer reviews for Sea Ranch Lodge

Reviewed July 18, 2013

There is not a better view anywhere. Strolling out to the rocks or down to the beach is magical. Rooms were perfect, very clean, and each one has an ocean view. Staff was extremely helpful. I had a complicated email/scan/FAX request and they eagerly took care of it for me. The wine list at the bar was outstanding, as was the quality of food. I'd stay here again in a minute.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hal G
shakey26, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Hal G

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We count ourselves fortunate to be in such as beautiful part of the country, it IS magical. My staff strives to really take care of our guests' needs and it sounds like they made an impression on you. I will share your remarks with my team, they definitely love to hear that their efforts made a difference in someone's stay.

The wine list is representative of the area we find ourselves in ... right in the middle of some of California's premier world class vineyards. Our Executive Chef does an excellent job with interesting cuisine to match.

I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

No tv was replaced by ocean views, huge room, fireplace and nightly appearance of deer. A photographer's dream with trails full of ocean vista, wild flowers, wild life and very photogenic hotel. We had corner room #11 which had expanded wall of windows that I would highly recommend. The included breakfast was outstanding and the the corned beef hash was hard to beat. We spent three nights and spent one day exclusively at the property checking out the cliffs, trails and close by beaches. The other two days we this made a great home base. Definitely recommend hotel and friendly staff. It also has very reliable wifi that helped us plan our next day's activity.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David W

David W

Thank you for you contributions and the photos you posted. You are right in that we see many photographers and artists come to this area to capture its natural beauty. Every one of our rooms offers wonderful views of the Pacific coastline, but #11 seems to come to the top of many of our guests' lists as their favorite. I often forget to mention the opportunity to see the local wildlife, my relatives refer to it as living near a zoo.

Thanks for mentioning the corned beef hash at breakfast. I finally had an opportunity to try it myself recently (I've been here for about 6 weeks now). For as often as I've heard people talk about corned beef hash during my career, I had never tried it myself. Our Executive Chef has made part of his reputation on this very dish ... I must admit it is quite delicious!

I will definitely share your comments with out staff, they do a great job taking care of our guests.

Hope you have the opportunity to return soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Made a mistake and only booked one night wish I had known how wonderful this Lodge was.
The room the view the restraint the staff no TV no noisy neighbors just the perfect everything.
If you are looking for a great place to stay then the Sea Ranch is the place.

Room Tip: Reserve well in advance .
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Frank B

FrankB

Thank you for sharing your remarks about the Lodge and the area. We too believe that if you want to visit a place to enjoy the environment, The Sea Ranch is a place like no other.

I hope we see you again soon (and for a longer stay!)

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Excellent views and access to 10 miles of trails about 30 feet from the ocean. Rooms are noisy as hotel was built of basic wood construction in the 70s. Best hotel/lodge in the Sea Ranch/Gualala area. Treat yourself and stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank TMHighway

TMHIghway

Thank you for posting your review. the Lodge is a historic part of The Sea Ranch community and unique in its design. The area is naturally spectacular and we appreciate our location in teh middle of all its beauty.

We hope you have an opportunity to visit again soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

A 50 year old hotel, with nicely refurbished rooms, on the edge of the cliff at Sea Ranch,has good views from the windows, but they would be much improved if the windows were clean. The open stairways leading up to the upstairs rooms are attractive to swifts whose excrement on the stairs makes them dirty and slippy.
The restaurant is understaffed especially at breakfast, and the breakfast menu, tho stressing it is complementary for hotel guests, lists orange juice ,amongst other things, as a chargeable extra which combined with stressing that gratuities are not included, feels penny pinching.
Their accounting is total rubbish, and the listings of expenses on the total room charge made absolutely no sense at all. They just seemed be be dazed and confused every time a change was presented, especially in the restaurant.
All that being said, the location is remote and beautiful and if you enjoy long walks, looking at the ocean, even when it's foggy, you might like to give it a chance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dzonka

Dzonka:

Thank you taking the time to review your experience. It appears that in your closing sentence, you enjoyed the location and our environment, but there were details you pointed out that made your stay less than satisfying. Let me say that I appreciate your feedback, so that I can improve upon future guests' experiences.

As you might imagine being next to the Pacific Coastline, keeping the windows clean is a challenge and we are actually researching better ways to accomplish that. That is a weekly regular maintenance project as it is, but not really where we need it to be today. You can expect improvements in that part of the operation soon. We are also addressing the problems that our feathered friends pose and are working toward a solution there as well.

You did happen to visit a time when our restaurant staff was thinner than we normally schedule due to unforeseen circumstances, but that was unusual for us.

I have taken into account your observations on the way charges appear on the guest folio and restaurant bills, we have already made changes to make it easier to read and understand. I thank you for pointing that out.

I hope that there is an opportunity for you to return soon and see how your suggestions help to make us a better operation and a more enjoyable stay for our guests in this beautiful part of Northern California.

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked this luxury getaway as a surprise for our 30th anniversary. We live a pretty hectic life with multiple family members living with us. He booked this hotel specifically because they advertise peace and quiet. No TV's or Internet in rooms. Just come and relax. We arrived to check in and immediately noticed loud power tool noises, but went ahead and checked in. We got our keys, heading to our room. Unbelieveable to us, there is a work crew in the courtyard, directly in front of our room. We returned to the front desk to ask what the heck!!! She seemed surprised with our questions. She walked outside with us, and then said... Oh yes, we're remodeling and replacing the wood walkways all week. Things went from bad to worse. We had driven 6 hours to get here ... Looking to sleep and walk the beach for 3 days. Turns out the work begins at 8 each morning and goes on until 5 pm. The walls of the room vibrated and the hammering, power saws, and saws all were completely ruining our stay. Management said we were supposed yo get a call to inform us of the construction. We received none. We tried to find another place to stay but everything was booked close by.
Management offered us on night at half off. I was infuriated. They then offered us a 25% discount if we wanted dinner in their restaurant. Still I was not close to satisfied. With no end to the noise in sight.... And I mean very loud... We decided to check out and head home.
I contacted the head office to explain our unhappy visit. The response I hot was a coupon in the mail for I've free dinner at the main restaurant.
Like I would drive back 6 hours for dinner. Sooo very Disapointed.

• Stayed: January 2013
9  Thank Travelimmersion
shakey26, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Travelimmersion

Thanks for taking the time for submitting your review and although it is less than flattering, we cannot improve upon guest experiences without feedback.

First let me apologize for what should have been a quiet and relaxing getaway. That is exactly the environment we wish to provide, but it is clear that we failed in almost every way during your visit. I can tell you that it is in no way the norm and we have hosted scores of people who have been satisfied with what Sea Ranch represents. Of course any business will be subject to construction periods to maintain their facility, however particularly in the hospitality business, communicating that effort to our guests needs to be a priority.

As I am relatively new in my role as the GM, I cannot speak to the management team at the time. I can only try to reach out in the way that I believe is fair and responsible. So, it is my sincere hope that you see my response and contact me so that if you are inclined, to arrange a visit when it is convenient to you both to be my guests for a stay and dinner at Sea Ranch. I can promise you an entirely different experience, one that should meet all your expectations on my watch.

Again my sincerest apologies:

#3 of 7 in Gualala
The Wharf Master's Inn
The Wharf Master's Inn
#1 of 2 in Point Arena

Been to Sea Ranch Lodge? Share your experiences!