“I would not recommend this restaurant”
Review of Sea Ranch Lodge

Sea Ranch Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Sea Ranch
Bay Area
“I would not recommend this restaurant”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We went here for dinner and ordered two plates of oysters and a bottle of wine to start. Everything was good at this point. The waiter recommended the prime rib on special which my husband had and I had the roasted halibut. When my husband received his prime rib is was cold (as if in the fridge) and over cooked. The waiter agreed and he returned it. The waiter came back and said that is how all the prime rib is and suggested to order something else which my husband did. From this point on the waiter ignored us like the plague. (we were also with another couple) He didn't refill our water glass or ask the rest of us how our meal was. When my husband's hamburger finally came out (the rest of us were done with dinner) he also handed us our check and didn't ask us if we wanted dessert. We handed the check back and asked for a dessert menu since my friend and I wanted coffee and something chocolaty. Again, he was very stand offish as if he was embarrassed but by all means don't ignore a customer! I would not recommend this place!

Room Tip: Dont eat at the restaurant
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HolleydayTravel
GMGregH, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Holley, Thank you so much for bringing this experience to my attention. We are always striving to improve and this clearly falls well short of our standard. I will be sure to contact you directly to ensure that we use this as a tool for our growth and improvement.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 19, 2012

After many years I returned to Sea Ranch Lodge and found it almost unchanged - a very good thing. Beautiful new bathrooms, wonderful beds and in-room Wifi are the main changes. The rustic 70s feel and look and the complete absence of commercialism retain the property's pristine feel. Go there to walk on the bluffs, to enjoy spectacular views of the ocean and relax. There is still no TV, so if you don't know how to work a book, go elsewhere. This place is for people who want something quiet and unspoiled.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view and if you can bring your dog. This is a dog-friendly place.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Steven E
GMGregH, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Steven, Thank you for posting this review, and for capturing our setting so well in your comments. I'm glad that you decided to return, and re-connect with the area. My team and I appreciate the feedback.
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed July 28, 2012

When kids were younger, a rental home at the breathtaking Sea Ranch community on the idyllic Sonoma County coast was a regular event for our household when we could find a few days to amortize a four hour drive. Suddenly out of our (adult) kids for a brief spell this summer, my wife and I drove up the coast on a Tuesday for a few days, opting for the Lodge (and not having to bring linens, etc.) The property has aged gracefully, and seemed almost unchanged from our last visit--perhaps 12 years back. Views from the low-rise and unobtrusive facility are extraordinary, including deer in the fields and (perhaps next time?) a migrating whale or two. The rooms have been given some handsome upgrades, the complimentary full menu breakfasts were very tasty, and the newspapers were on our doormat whenever we looked for them each morning. There are great trails for whatever paced hike you'd like, and wine by the glass when you get back. The innkeeper, the storekeeper, the barkeeper, the maitre'd and the waiters were friendly, welcoming, and helpful to a fault. As the Governator would no doubt say after staying at TSRL, "I'll be back." So will we.

Room Tip: The Lodge is just two stories, so uppers may be a bit quieter. Room 10 seems to have about a 225* vi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 1West
Dear 1West, Well, you've mentioned the three words that all of us in the hospitality business love to hear - "I'll be back." Thank you very kindly for your business and for complimenting our staff. We certainly look forward to having you with us again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Spot-on ... Sea Ranch is a spectacular get-away spot ... a reclusive and remotely luxurious enclave positioned in a super-special location. Sublime comfort in a rustic setting . Delicious food, plenty of space to stretch out, perfect place to open a bottle of wine and relax and feel at home ... Had car trouble and the staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating... hospitality at its best. Will go back again and again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlobalGuyMiami
Dear GlobalGuy, Thank you for this very kind review, especially for recognizing our staff for their assistance and hospitality. This means a great deal to us all. Safe travels!
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We've been here many times -- with my husband as well as with my Mother.

It is really our 'go-to' getaway spot for a weekend of rejuvenation.

The solitude and beauty are unsurpassed... not to mention the proximity to the San Francisco area.

The value for what you get is 10+, particularly during the low season in the winter, which actually has the most dramatic scenery. One of our best visits was during a terrible winter storm, in which we sat at our panoramic windows and watched the ocean go wild over wine and cheese.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Calif0rnia007
GMGregH, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for your kind words - I agree about the winter season being very compelling here. The contrast of green meadows against the sea, the magical storms and the huge day-after breakers, all add to the mystical nature of this place. On your next visit, I'm sure that you will appreciate the rejuvenation that we have given the guest rooms and the main building. We very much look forward to your return.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was the best night we spent along the northern CA coast! We also spent a night at Bodega Bay Lodge - very nice but lacking the charm & character of this hidden gem. The rooms have been renovated to perfection! Kudos to their designer - the colors, fabrics & decor made this one the nicest rooms I've seen - perfectly fitting the rustic elegant style & enhancing the amazing sea views from the rooms. Breakfast & dinner in the restaurant was delicious! Perfect spot for a relaxing week or weekend getaway!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ATLTravelAddict
Hi Travel Addict, Thanks very much for the kind words. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the new guest rooms and I will pass along the comments to our design team. I'm equally glad that you enjoyed the restaurant. Thank you for taking the time to post this review.
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed June 14, 2012

A wonderful 45th anniversary! The view from our room made it hard to leave but we spent time cycling along the quiet roads and trails in Sea Ranch. Our room had been 'refreshed' and the old wood with the new everything else was grand. Breakfast was great and Sylvia, the server, was a cheerful morning wakeup. Dinner was also super w/ wonderful service. Our other dinner was St. Orres, better than ever.

Room Tip: Get the window seat and watch the crashing Pacific!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Vabh, First of all, I'm so pleased that you chose us to celebrate your very special occasion. Thank you for your kind words about our Lodge and our staff. I'm glad you so enjoyed the newly refreshed guest rooms. Here's wishing you many happy returns of the day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near The Sea Ranch
#1 of 2 in Point Arena
North Coast Country Inn
North Coast Country Inn
#3 of 7 in Gualala

Been to Sea Ranch Lodge? Share your experiences!