All reviews window seat walking trails adirondack chairs california coast gas fireplace hot tub ocean view king room black point grill gualala deer coastline insulation whales retreat robes linens
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I hosted a birthday party for my spouse at The Sea Ranch Lodge. Everything (I mean EVERYthing) from start to finish was simply extraordinary. The pre-planning was seamless -- every detail was contemplated, discussed and executed upon. The room ("The Fireside Room") was gorgeously presented, with a fantastic ocean view. Each guest had a choice of 3 entrees and all 3 were amazing (although I have to admit that the BLT at The Sea Ranch Lodge is the best in the world and my favorite!). The wines were great, the service was great. People are still talking about it. I am already counting the days when I can host another party there. A+++++++++++++!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Cathy K, Social Media Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

What a perfect way to celebrate a birthday...a trip to Sea Ranch! We are glad you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the rooms and the food! Come back again soon, we'll be waiting for your next party!

Reviewed May 22, 2012

For enthusiasts of American Modernism on the cusp of the environmental movement, Sea Ranch is a must. Driving down highway one from Portland to San Francisco, it's a great place to stay at the one night but book in advance.
The rooms are not cheap and being "refreshed", so make sure you ask for one that has been. While not cheap, they are worth their price, with fires, leather arm chairs, lovely beds and beautiful views to the sea. The restaurant was excellent and not too expensive, and a cooked breakfast is included with the room, though "computers are not welcome in the dining room, sir". While the room has no tv and the Wi-Fi patchy at best, to get away from those things is a good reason to go there. There is also a lovely walk along the cliffs where one can see the rest of the development from, nestled into the topography, with it's characteristically wind pruned architecture.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
GMGregH, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2012

Thank you very much for these kind words. I'm delighted that you had a great stay. I'm happy to report that all of the rooms available have now ben refurbished. Although we now have 12, we expect to have four more back in two weeks time, and the last three in a month or so. I apologize for the WiFi patchiness, we thought we had that issue fixed, but it appears we still have a bit of work left on it. Many thanks again for the review.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

We have been going to the Sea Ranch Lodge for 14 years. We try and plan trips for our Birthdays so some years just once and other years 2 times a year. We have never been disappointed with our stay. We return home relaxed and refreshed with many pleasant memories. The walks along the coast the ocean views are spectacular. The rooms are aways first class and with the resent room upgrades being done the stay was even better. Everyone should plan a trip to Sea ranch just one stay and you are hooked and you will return often. The dining is great with very well done presentations and taste. The personnel that work at the Lodge and Black Point Resturant make you feel welcome and part of the Sea Ranch Family. We highly recommend a stay at Sea Ranch you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Georgia, thank you very much for your review. Your sentiments are much appreciated by me and my entire staff, as they capture the essence of what we work to achieve. We all look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

Gorgeous landscape, room is extremely comfortable, very good taste. High speed internet available for free. Very fancy hotel. Restaurant is very good, but not amazing, and very decently priced. No cell phone network available.

• Stayed: May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TA. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your staff and are glad that the staff met all your expectations! Come back again soon to visit us!

Reviewed April 29, 2012

This region came highly recommended to me by my manager, who spends a couple of weeks in the area almost every year. So, when I planned a trip to Northen California to visit recently transplanted friends, I booked a couple of nights at Sea Ranch Lodge. I can say definitively that the accommodations, the scenery and location, and the gracious hospitality of this establishment all lived up to our somewhat elevated expectations. First, the setting is absolutely gorgeous: the rugged, majestic Northern California coastline is awe-inspiring at the very least. Our drive took twice as long as expected because we were stopping the car every ten minutes or so to admire the incomparable roadside vistas along CA 1. We even spotted migratory humpback whales frolicking offshore! Upon arrival at the Lodge, we were greeted with sincere warmth and a true welcome. Our room (replete with rustic charm) provided the promised ocean views, from a large picture window over a cozy window seat, and boasted upscale amenities such as luxury toiletries and a rainfall-head shower - all in keeping with the area's aesthetic of sustainability. We dined both nights at the restaurant in the Lodge, enjoying a spectacular Pacific sunset and another glimpse of whales passing by on their migratory trek. Truly delicious locally-sourced fare, whether casual (terrific burger) or more substantial (my duck breast entree was heavenly), served with delightful hospitality and accompanied by delectable local wines. Breakfasts (included in the nightly room rate) were cooked to order, with quality every bit as superb as our dinner fare. Sea Ranch Lodge is proof that a lifestyle which celebrates a smaller carbon footprint and a dedication to sustainability need not engender a feeling of deprivation: we felt pampered the entire time.

Room Tip: Book early: the Lodge only has 20 guest rooms. Due to 1960s construction (no soundproofing), try to book an upstairs room if sounds of others moving overhead bother you, as long as stairs are not an issue for you. Several staff members recommended a visit in late summer/early autumn (mid-September through mid-October) as ideal for optimal area weather: during our late-April visit, we met with a couple of chilly, rainy/foggy days.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Russell,
Thank you very much for this thoughtful review. It's very gratifying for my staff and I to hear these sentiments. I hope you will stay with us again, should your travels bring you back to the West Coast.