All reviewswindow seatwalking trailsadirondack chairscalifornia coastgas fireplacehot tubocean viewking roomblack point grillgualaladeercoastlineinsulationwhalesretreatrobeslinens
Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

Gorgeous landscape, room is extremely comfortable, very good taste. High speed internet available for free. Very fancy hotel. Restaurant is very good, but not amazing, and very decently priced. No cell phone network available.

• Stayed: May 2012
Cathy K, Social Media Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TA. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your staff and are glad that the staff met all your expectations! Come back again soon to visit us!

Reviewed April 29, 2012

This region came highly recommended to me by my manager, who spends a couple of weeks in the area almost every year. So, when I planned a trip to Northen California to visit recently transplanted friends, I booked a couple of nights at Sea Ranch Lodge. I can say definitively that the accommodations, the scenery and location, and the gracious hospitality of this establishment all lived up to our somewhat elevated expectations. First, the setting is absolutely gorgeous: the rugged, majestic Northern California coastline is awe-inspiring at the very least. Our drive took twice as long as expected because we were stopping the car every ten minutes or so to admire the incomparable roadside vistas along CA 1. We even spotted migratory humpback whales frolicking offshore! Upon arrival at the Lodge, we were greeted with sincere warmth and a true welcome. Our room (replete with rustic charm) provided the promised ocean views, from a large picture window over a cozy window seat, and boasted upscale amenities such as luxury toiletries and a rainfall-head shower - all in keeping with the area's aesthetic of sustainability. We dined both nights at the restaurant in the Lodge, enjoying a spectacular Pacific sunset and another glimpse of whales passing by on their migratory trek. Truly delicious locally-sourced fare, whether casual (terrific burger) or more substantial (my duck breast entree was heavenly), served with delightful hospitality and accompanied by delectable local wines. Breakfasts (included in the nightly room rate) were cooked to order, with quality every bit as superb as our dinner fare. Sea Ranch Lodge is proof that a lifestyle which celebrates a smaller carbon footprint and a dedication to sustainability need not engender a feeling of deprivation: we felt pampered the entire time.

Room Tip: Book early: the Lodge only has 20 guest rooms. Due to 1960s construction (no soundproofing), try to book an upstairs room if sounds of others moving overhead bother you, as long as stairs are not an issue for you. Several staff members recommended a visit in late summer/early autumn (mid-September through mid-October) as ideal for optimal area weather: during our late-April visit, we met with a couple of chilly, rainy/foggy days.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
GMGregH, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2012

Russell,
Thank you very much for this thoughtful review. It's very gratifying for my staff and I to hear these sentiments. I hope you will stay with us again, should your travels bring you back to the West Coast.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We have been enjoying this lodge, its amenities, the excellent food/ drink, clean rooms, great views of the Pacific ocean and coast as well as wild flowers, birds and deer and especially the friendly, accommodating staff for several years. I inadvertently left a foldup luggage carrier in the room (#14, not yet remodelled, but very nice). On arriving home I called the lodge, described where I'd left it and offered to pay the shipping. The receptionist was most pleasant, said she'd get it from the room immediately and send it at once without charge. The next day I received it in the US mail (we live about 70 mles away). There is a nice gift shop open from 10 am to about 4 pm. A complimentary SF Chronicle newspaper was outside our door each morning. A good breakfast selection is included in the price of the room (complimentary).

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Eric N
Bushyeyebrows, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind words. My staff and I are delighted that you choose to return, and that your experience this time was memorable. We look forward to serving you again on the occasion of your next visit.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Stayed here for one night in one of their newly renovated rooms. Found the interiors of the room and lobby area to be very well done. The staff was hospitable and friendly. Also had Breakfast and dinner on the property and thought it was fantastic! Only minor complaint would be with the thin towels in the bathroom.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank TripNLuxe
Bushyeyebrows, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm delighted that you found the Lodge and the restaurant to your liking. I will look into the matter of the towels. We are somewhat limited in our options because of our location and the fact that there is no laundry on premises. If we can do better on this we certainly will. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Absolutely gorgeous location. You have to decide to take what this older property has to offer and enjoy the serenity and wild coast that it is located on. The building is older and the rooms quite basic but the trade off is worth it. The bar is fun and the restaurant is terrific. Great service and the food very enjoyable. This is not a 5 star resort with all the amenities, in some ways it is even better - it is a step back in time. Don't stay here if you want pillow top beds and feather pillows, stay here because you want to get away from it all.

Room Tip: Take an upstairs room as the noise travels between walls and floors.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank SunnyWestKelowna

Thank you for this refreshing review. Indeed the wild coast here is the chief attraction, and I'm very grateful that you were able to appreciate that. That said, we are upgrading the rooms to make a more comfortable experience for all, including said pillow top mattresses and feather pillows. Thank you again and we look forward to your return if your travels bring you back.