$110
Super 8 by Wyndham Cloverdale(Cloverdale)(Great Value!)
$132
$128
Hotels.com
$95
$189
Hotels.com
No availability for your dates from these sites
Geyserville Inn(Geyserville)
Official Website
All reviewswindow seatwalking trailsadirondack chairscalifornia coastgas fireplacehot tubocean viewking roomblack point grillgualaladeercoastlineinsulationwhalesretreatrobeslinens
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I chose Sea Ranch Lodge because of the location and reports on the view. Since my expectations were based on these two factors I was not disappointed. The view is spectacular and peaceful. We got lucky on the weather and the sunset was probably one of the best I have ever seen over the Pacific. We stayed in room #2 and it was lackluster. The bed was small (a queen that felt like a double), the carpet was 1980 brown pile that was worn, there was a wood burning stove with a ambiance log you could light - we didn't, and there was one chair facing the large window to the ocean. The best feature of the room was the window -- we could lay in bed and see the ocean through this very large window. It was strange to have only one chair in the room, I mean, the resort should spend a buck and get an extra one since it must be nearly 100% couples who stay there. There were some old beat-up adirondack chairs (6 of them, only) on the lawn just off the restaurant/bar where you could sit and look at the ocean. There was no community hot tub ... in our minds a significant missing attribute that would be an easy and relatively inexpensive add. The stars at night were spectacular because there is really nothing around this place. You can walk the paths on the grounds, which were pretty, and get down to the beach. It is a really pretty location (the drive is beautiful, but if you get car sick watch out because it is VERY curvy). My advice is to go here for one night of seclusion, but maybe rent a house/condo nearby for better accommodations. There are no TVs in the rooms and the wireless did not work, despite them telling us it did. If you have AT&T cell phones you are out of luck here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank CSB_Edina
Bushyeyebrows, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Thank you for this thoughtful and well written review. Not only do we agree with your assessment, but I can proudly report that renovations are well underway for both the rooms and the restaurant and main building. All of the areas of concern you mentioned are being upgraded, including internet reliability, beds, bathrooms, chairs, fireplaces, and much more. I should note to readers that we do sometimes have issues with internet that are beyond our control - usually due to high winds which disrupt the ISP services - but that we do recognize the need to increase reliability in the guest rooms within our current upgrade plan.

I also agree wholeheartedly that an outdoor hot-tub would be a great feature, but alas this is neither simple or inexpensive due to very strict design guidelines on our pristine site, and I cannot promise this any time soon. There are no TVs in the rooms, nor will there be, as the main attraction here is to unplug and disconnect (despite the apparent contradiction in improving the WiFi). And yes, all phones that do not have Verizon are not functional here.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this thoughtful review. Best wishes in future travels.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Sea Ranch is about peaceful getaways. Come here for the coastal trail walks, the sound of waves, colorful wildflowers, welcoming staff, and lots of quiet time. Do not come here to catch up on work, watch tv, or experience "resort life". This is my yearly retreat and it restores my spirit. The rooms are simple with 1-2 recliners and no desks; they're designed for reading and resting, not working. Some have fireplaces - a wonderful treat on foggy evenings and window seats - perfect for looking out at the ocean. Breakfast (try the eggs benedict) is included. The restaurant and lounge are part of the lodge buildings, have beautiful views and the servers are very friendly. Visit the Sea Ranch chapel and then head to Gualala for shopping (Four Eyed Frog Books is a delight) and lunch - or pick up a sandwich to bring back. Best of all, just take advantage of Sea Ranch's beauty and peace.

Room Tip: With one exception, all rooms have ocean views - north coast rooms have corner views. I would choose a fireplace room, not a hot tub room. Upstairs rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank monisf
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I find it very peacefull place. Not a lot of bystander walking around. You want to come in here to clear up your minds and think deep within yourself.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank isawlulu
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We planned to stay there because we had heard and innovative architecture. Maybe for 1968 when it was established but not today. The rooms were huge, but poorly laid out, the were huge beds but one chair and no table in the room. This was compounded by a lack of comfortable common areas, No a place to be on a rainy or foggy day. Our room had a large loft and you could tell where the access had been but it had been taken out.
The overall upkeep was average to poor giving the place a dilapidated rather then a quaint feel.
For $70 we got 2 glasses or wine and 2 snacks. Breakfast hikers? Wait until 8am.
Outdoors? Yes the ocean is beautiful it is just as nice often nicer along miles of the coast.

Worst value for money I have ever experienced. Yes the emperor has no clothes. Certainly not in August 2011, as I lie here at 2am I am lulled by the distant siurf and someone's snores somewhere. I should have read the reviews (about the thin walls etc).
Be forewarned
The worst value for money ever in my travels.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank Peter892002
Reviewed August 14, 2011

first the positive-view was beautiful and the staff was friendly. Now for the negatives which outweigh the positives-rooms in terrible need of updating. accomodations more like a Motel 6. Way overpriced. Paper thin walls- had 2 yippy dogs below us that you could hear clearly. shampoo came in cardboard containers that were not replaced the next day. Food was marginal-my filet mignon was dry and overcooked and the meals were heavily salted. The last irritation was the political stuff shoved in your face from the peace symbols to the forced contribution which was added to your bill unless you remembered to "opt out". Would not stay here again especially for the price.

• Stayed: August 2011