“Great way to start our Central California vacation”
Review of McPhee's Grill

McPhee's Grill
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Templeton
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Reviewed February 26, 2010

My husband and I had lunch here our first full day in the Paso Robles-area where we spent three days tasting wine. It was a weekday and the restaurant was full. It was not an inexpensive meal, so the crowds are indicative of how good the food and service are. It's in a gorgeous old house; and yet the ladies room was immaculate. We were pleased to observe that diners' cell phones weren't constantly ringing; perhaps Cental California is more laid back than Las Vegas. The food was great and presented beautifully; service was exceptionally good. We visit Cental California almost every year and yet this was our first visit to McPhee's. It won't be our last.

2  Thank KSSeaB

Reviewed January 8, 2010

Me and My husband went here on our 3rd year wedding anniversary and it surpassed my expectations by far! Hubby had the Bleu cheese burger(best burger he has ever had) and I had the macadamian crusted Mahi Mahi. Wow it was lick your plate delicious!! We will be making a trip back to this restaurant for sure!

2  Thank ratherBpaddling
Reviewed January 4, 2010

The first thing you notice when you walk in this restaurant is the aromas of smokey BBQ. And I do mean this very complimentary! Lovely old tavern, with excellent food, a definite step up from normal "bar food." Chef McPhee can certainly cook with the best of 'em. But the thing that still gets me is that they have contracted with Chateau Margene in the local area to provide their house wines. Having now drank many Chateau Margene's, all I can say is WOW! These are incredible wines! Their "house cab" is a Chateau Margene "bulk" Cabernet Sauvignon wine, meaning it's not one of their premium label wines (side note-Chateau Margene is a small PREMIUM producer of Paso Robles wines). But let me tell ya, I have NEVER tasted a better "house wine" anywhere in the world! Had it 3 years ago, and just had it recently, and it still ROCKS! Great food, even better wine, and a good value for eating.

1  Thank pcwineguy64
Reviewed October 29, 2009

36 of us ate at McPhee's last week. We were a coach full of high tech researchers moving to Silicon Valley after a visit to Santa Barbara. Even the Frenchman liked the food!

The service a very good--no fun for a small wait staff to have to deal with a coachload all at the same time. They did so competently and cheerfully.

It was a Monday night and the restaurant was completely full. What better advertisement?

1  Thank dos303
Reviewed September 27, 2009

McPhee's Grill represents everything that makes me believe the Central Coast wine country will soon overtake Sonoma / Napa. Ian McPhee's food is out of this world - he's creative and has mastered what I can only describe as a sort of Mexican / Asian fusion cuisine. The ingredients are uber fresh and of the highest quality. The portions are generous and the food artfully presented. And, the wine list is everything you'd expect from a premier wine region. In most places, all of this would amount to a place that was anything but casual, yet McPhee's Grill is one of the most comfortable and welcoming restaurants I've encountered anywhere. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank katiecakes