“Best atmosphere and Delicious Food”
Review of McPhee's Grill

McPhee's Grill
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Templeton
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Reviewed December 8, 2012

On a cold starry night the high street with it's glittering lights takes you back in time, so when you enter the Grill you feel transported - but really to fine food. Always delicious.

1  Thank rabbitwarrior

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Fantastic food, and excellent service. And obviously a great wine selection. My wife ordered a giant rib, it was too fatty for her, the serving personel gratiously removed the order from the check... very nice.

1  Thank Rickety_Rick
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I had dinner here a couple of years ago and everyone in Templeton told us it was the place to dine. The food was fine, but I just remember the restaurant was not very busy and the town shut down around 9 pm. We wanted to have dessert somewhere else, but there were very few options. After reading the current reviews, I'm not inclined to return.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've been eating at McPhee's for over 8 years. I went for lunch approximately 2 months ago. The prices had gone up considerably since Feb. 2012 (which was my other 'recent' visit)--and I found the taste to be average--very salty. They sat my party in the 'back' room...the there were flies everywhere! Serve was very good however. I would rather spend $28-$35 for lunch in an atmosphere less noisy, less infested with flies and with more options at more reasonable prices. Sorry McPhee's...

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We ate dinner at McPhees last Friday night. We had heard good things and wanted to give it a try. Our experience was good. The server was sweet and helpful. She wasnt super busy, as the restaurant seemed to be thinning out at 8 pm when we arrived, (not unusual in this area), we tend to eat later than most. The meal started out with a plate of pickled condiments to snack on....we have never been fans of this starter. While I try to avoid bread, the basket served to us was quite enticing and had two choices, which I couldnt resist a few nibbles of...very fresh and yummy.
None of the entrees really hit me as something I wanted. It all seemed a little heavy, so I chose a bowl of Tortilla Soup and the special Salad of the night as my meal. The soup was very good. Seasoned well, it was a tomato based broth with chicken and tortilla strips and was really delectable. My salad was a lovely array of crisp butter greens, with lump crabmeat and fresh cantelope from a local farm, then a light, yet a bit mayonaissy dressing. All in all, quite delicious and just enough food for me that night.
My husband had the Ribs. Now, he is a very picky rib guy, so he asked will these be tender and will the meat fall off the bone. Assured by our server that they were awesome, he ordered them. And yes, they were outstandingly prepared. The sauce on them also yummy, and I did steal two ribs off his plate!
Wine selections were good, with obvious reason being smack in the middle of this great wine region.
One thing that did land on our table were tiny water glasses. I mean like little rocks glass size. Ok, though a larger glass might be nice, and easier for a server to refill less often. But please, next time try to make sure you don't serve us a glass with major lipstick smeared on it. Really gross.
Atmosphere here is homey. Comfortable, but just not chic at all. It is a throwback kind of place, and it serves itself well. I would think that this is a family style place and the food and prices are ?perfect for that type of evening. Date night? I think not.