Tripadvisor

1909
Order Online
Ranked #14 of 527 Restaurants in Temecula
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: 1909 Temecula is a tribute to the Machado building, the location where the restaurant and bar now lives. Well before the 1909 burger was created, this structure has been home to a trading post, livery, auto shop and most notably a bar. During the 70's, the Longbranch Saloon was known as the roughest place in town to get a drink. Locals often stop in and tell stories of brawls and shootings. In fact, several bullet holes are still in the ceiling. Today, the building serves as an ideal spot for unique food, handcrafted cocktails and craft beer. 1909 has an industrial appearance that is still inviting and fun. Sit on the huge patio for sun and people watching or, sit inside for a pub atmosphere unlike any other in the Temecula valley. We even have dog bowls for our four-legged friends! Whether you come by with the kid's for brunch or late night Saturday with friends, 1909 and the crew are sure to give you a great dining experience in Old Town Temecula.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went with a friend and the burgers are good. And since almost everyone has a burger on the menu, it means a lot to me that I want to go back and have another one!

Date of visit: May 2019
Write a reviewReviews (310)

Reviewed December 14, 2019

Two weeks ago my friends and I attended the Bonnie and Clyde Prohibition Repeal Party at 1909. We all work as cocktail servers and bartenders, so we never "go out". We were very excited to be able to go to an event like this, since they're all typically on weekends. We spent weeks planning our outfits, including true vintage pieces from the 1920's, and hours doing our hair and makeup so we would look just right.

When we got there, we were a little disappointed. When we heard "party" we pictured dancing, and people. But when we got there the restaurant was the same as usual, normal seating, normal serving, with the addition of a live band. But we wouldn't let expectations get in the way of us having a good time. We reassessed, and were ready to enjoy the night.

Upon arrival, one of the employees was gushing over our outfits and had us pose for photos and videos to be used in their social media (they do this event every year and wanted promos for next year as well). We were happy to oblige as we spent so long perfecting our looks. We paid our $10 cover fee (including a drink ticket) and sat down.

It was open seating, and there were very few people there (almost the entire patio was empty, the back patio was empty, and the inside with the bar was about 3/4 full). We got menus and were told that the drink ticket was a $10 value. All the drinks on their special menu for the evening were $11, and the drinks on their normal menu were all at least $12 with the exception of beers. Being in the industry, we appreciated this because with a drink ticket, people typically forget to tip, so having to pay that $1 will force people to look at a bill.

We all ordered off the special menu- drinks only, as their kitchen was closed when we arrived. We got two classic daiquiris (not blended: just rum, lime juice, and simple syrup) and a French 75 (gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, and champagne), two very simple cocktails.

The restaurant was more than fully staffed, having one server per table with the amount of patrons that were present, as well as four bartenders, at least one host, and the woman that took our pictures for social media, who's position I'm unsure of. That being said, it took more than 30 minutes to get our first round of drinks. Determined to have a good night though, we tried not to let this bother us. We all ended up winning the costume contest, with the prize being $100 gift card to 1909, so we figured we'd just relax and order another drink.

This, turned out to be a more tedious task than anticipated. It was impossible to find our server, Louise, and we had to ask the social media lady to get her for us. After ordering another round, we did not see Louise for another 30 minutes. At this point there were a total of 16 patrons in the restaurant. We flagged down the social media lady again and asked if we could close out and leave, having not received our second round yet. She found Louise once again, and Louise came to our table and simply said "you should know it takes at least 10 minutes to get a drink here" and left. Being a cocktail server, and sitting at a table with a bartender, this was the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. Especially with the lack of customers and the abundance of staff. We then watched Louise, walk to the bar to put our order in, watched our drinks be made and delivered within a few minutes.

We handed her our gift card and asked to close out. When she came back, she informed us that we could not use our gift card on this visit, it had to be on a return visit. But we were informed of this so unapologetically that it was laughable. Her exact phrasing was "just like everywhere else- you can't use your gift card tonight, you have to use it when you come back. You need to supply another form of payment." This, along with her lack of any apology on the 40 minute wait for our drinks, secured that Louise would not be getting a tip. We closed out, left no tip, and went down the street to Coin Op where we were greeted with kindness and served almost immediately.

You may think this is the end of our evening, but no. An hour after we left, I receive a text message from another server, one we had not interacted with all evening, Mike. He told me that when you don't tip your server, she "still has to tip out the bar $6 so it literally costs her money to give you service". This was shocking as we had no interaction with him on this evening. I informed him of the miserable service we received and I was told that "The girls asked me to text you and I did them a favor bc I have their back". I literally could not believe the audacity that some man, whom we had zero interaction with on this evening, would text me that I had done something wrong when in reality we had received the worst service. And it didn't even end at the restaurant- the terrible service followed me home like a hitchhiking ghost.

Even with the gift card we won, I will not be returning to 1909.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 25, 2019 via mobile

After wandering around the town we stopped here for brunch. This is a very popular restaurant so arrive early or make a reservation. The food and the service were excellent - not to be missed!

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed November 13, 2019 via mobile

Had the pleasure to dine at this gastropub, the place is vibrant, nice and well stocked bar, great service and the food was spectacular, reasonable priced. Our appetizer selection was outstanding, the taste, texture and sauce of the shrimp and chorizo was amazing, followed by a good piece of steak properly cooked, medium rare as it must be. Good beer selection and good wines, all again, at a reasonable price. Well done!!

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 2, 2019

We went for our nephew's wedding rehearsal dinner celebration. Staff was quick to serve us. the outside patio had plenty of space for our large group and some nice photo ops! We would definitely go back!

Date of visit: October 2019

Been to 1909? Share your experiences!