“Total Rip Off, Not Worth Your Hard Earned Money & Unprofessional”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Temecula
Vail Lake RV Resort
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Lets start with CHECK IN. After asking for our favorite spot, yes we checked our map from last year, we discovered that they had re-numbered the sites. Ok, we dealt with that because the new spot was not so bad. We set up, my husband and daughter went to the office to pick up our Haunted Hayride & Haunted House tickets. The office ladies told my husband that they are not handing out 2 complementary tickets anymore, they are under new owners. Ok. So my husband spent $150 on tickets for our family of 6, which included the NEW Balloon Glow Ride. Later that same day I went to the office with my sister inlaw so she could check in and while we were there I explained to her that they were not offering free tickets anymore since they were under new owners. She asked, she received free tickets, imagine my surprise, so I asked and they said that they had just received the tickets so they were now handing them out. This is were the Rip Off really started.
1. Spoke to owner Bill, yes they will refund my money, "no" does not have to be today sine all my "purchased" tickets were at my site and it was late
2. Both my teenage kids were stopped by the rangers while driving an electric cart to check their license (which they both had in the trailer) but they did not stop the young kids driving/racing the loud gas carts around our site
3. My husband was stopped by the rangers when he tried to drive the cart up to the village at 10:30pm and was told no carts allowed after 10:30pm, what about the 5 loud gas carts racing around my site at 11:00pm? This same ranger ran over when we were starting a fire and accused us of using gas to start it, when my husband was holding a lighter fluid bottle
4. Haunted Hayride lasted 4 minutes, included 3 areas with maybe 15 monsters, was to start at 6:30pm actually started at 7:25pm, and SUCKED LEMONS for $10 per person
5. Other things accured this weekend but the WORST to happen was when we tried to go to the office to get our money back for our tickets that Bill, the new owner, said was OK. Well, we talked to Nora, and between my husband trying to complain and Nora trying to yell over him that we would not be getting our money back, (she took my tickets and would not give them back) she actually said she was calling the police saying my husband was abusive and threatened her. WHAT A CROCK. I guess this is how the new owners and managers are treating their 8 year veteran VIP campers.
6. When we prepaid $10 for an extra car, they still charged the extra car and would not refund this amount either.
7. We also wont mention the fact that they are not giving receipts for all the purchased ride vouchers even after we asked for them. This is $40 per person if you go on all rides.
This is on top of the $110 a night fee.
I WILL NEVER GO BACK AND I WILL NEVER RECOMMED THIS CAMP SITE TO ANYONE!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
27  Thank stephannie1

Reviewed July 27, 2010

We just got back from our first family camping trip to Vail Lake! Overall, I would definitely recommend this place for young kids (we have a 5 and 7 year old). There is plenty to keep them happy and occupied...we never once heard, "I'm bored"!! We were strictly tent camping so we were very limited to the areas we could occupy. The girl I made the reservation through suggested Lower Merlot since it was close to "everything". I was aware that we would only have partial shade, but thought with enough EZ-ups and the trade off to be close to all the fun kid stuff it would be worth it. I was wrong!! We were definitely walking distance to the water slides, but that was about it. Basically, the campground is so spread out that most everyone drives golf carts everywhere or their car. It would have been more than worth it to stay in the Arroyo Seco area and have lots of shade than to be the only ones in the Lower Merlot area in what felt more like desert camping. We were literally the only ones in that whole area from Friday-Monday! We drove around the entire campsite and made some notes on GOOD TENT CAMPING SITES....303, 306, 307, 402, 403, 381 area, 413-419 area. And if you must be in the Merlot area try spots 217-218, there is a HUGE shade tree here. STAY AWAY FROM the Lower Arroyo Seco area (430-500). It is very overgrown and seems next to impossible to pitch a tent there. Water slides are a blast, concerts on Saturday are super fun, pool is packed on Fri-Sat (you can only bring alcohol if it is in a cup), miniature golf is in need of some love (not very well kept up), bathrooms are mediocre. Overall, we would go back again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank cozensclan
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We heard of Vail Lakes before but I checked it out on the internet the site does not give good info or pictures.....so we never went! Well we needed somewhere close to get together with friends and Family on 4th of July... so we risked it..........OMG I wish I had risked it a long time ago!!! Huge oak trees, Big Spots, water-slides (kids cried when they had to leave), Big clean pool area with 3 pools (one is a kids splash pool), Big grass areas, amazing horseshoe pits, wine and beer bar on fri. & Sat nights, horse stables with good prices to rent, we saw deer!, we took our Rhinos and went off-roading on trails to lake, (The Lake is membership only with water skiing fishing etc.) but (we are considering joining), wine tasting in temecula is like 15 minutes away, as are stores etc....... I can't even go on about the 4th of July events, except to say WOW !!!! WE WILL BE BACK!!! I am a picky camper I love full hook -ups and Newport Dunes....so believe me when I say It will not disappoint!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank SundayinNorco
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I love Vail Lake and the employees. Tish is wonderful and sweet, and the camp is clean. We have stayed for the last three years during the Spooky Halloween scene and had a great time along with all the kids. We have also stayed during fourth of July and loved the Hay ride, fire work display and the water slide, which I might add is reasonably priced. They have tons of activities for the kids and adults to do. Defenitly going back!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DaphneBell
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We had a great time. My husband has a brain injury so when we made the reservation I asked what spot would be good for him and the girls went out of there way to get us something shady and quiet. We stayed in the oaks area and it was so convienent for the stores and also we got to hear the music on sat night without having to take him over to the village area.Everybody from the time we passed the security gate till we left always had a smile on there face thanks vail for letting us have a great family and friends weekend celebrating our 35 th wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank cruisingmamma
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We found this resort online and were worried about what we would find. Photos can be deceiving but we were more than pleasantly surprised! We stayed in the Oaks section and were surrounded by beautiful Oak trees. Weekends are crowded but Sunday night we had the area to ourselves. There are 3 pools with one being the size of an olympic pool! Large grassy area with fishing pond adjacent to pool provides a serene and peaceful atmosphere. Saturday night we were entertained by live music and yummy tacos! The onsite market was also very reasonably priced. Like I said weekends are crowded and I guess it's like anywhere else where you can't control your neighbors. We walked past very noisy patrons with boom boxes blaring. I did notice security driving by but I don't know if they ask people to be quiet. I don't understand why some people think that it's okay to blast their music so loud that campers 20 spaces away can still hear you. All in all I think this was a great park and we will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank baseballm0m_3
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We stayed here last Memorial Day Weekend. We had been steered to our spot #208, by the girl I made the reservation with. She had told me it was her 'favorite'. By no means was this possible. It was basically a large dirt spot with a dead tree and two very rickety wooden shade structures. It was right across from the bathroom, so there was a lot of foot traffic and noise. The worst part about the weekend was the incessant noise from numerous 'golf carts', most with gasoline engines and many with very loud muflers that would cruise around the campground all day long. The campground was fairly dirty as well with litter everywhere. The only consolationw as that the bathrooms and showers were kept clean.
The pool area was nice, any we enjoyed the water slide, but these were not enough to make it what I would call a good weekend.
Next time, if there is one, we would stay in chardonnay mesa on the outside ring to enjoy the grassy area and better views.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family