“not standard by any means”

Inn at Churon Winery
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Temecula
Reviewed August 4, 2007

I planned a trip to Temecula for my anniverary. I debated between a suite or a standard room. When booking the room, I asked if their standard rooms were "standard?" I was told, "They are not standard by any means." I booked a standard room, trusting the advice of the employee.

I arrived at noon, but the room was not ready until 3pm. The hallways had no air conditioning and was a little dated; but I was surprised at the condition of the room considering the hallways and lobby were not very impressive.

The room was not standard by any means. The bathroom has dark granite and seperate his and her sinks. The shower is large and the love tub was also. The view was amazing and gives you a romantic feel. The private balcony was relaxing and the bed was very comfortable. They offer free wine tasting for hotel guests after 4:30.
Breakfast is free for guests and although the menu is limited, it has the right options for breakfast. The food was plentiful and very good.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cabernet_7
There are newer reviews for Inn at Churon Winery

Reviewed July 31, 2007

A fantastic setting in the underappreciated wine region of Temecula, my stay at this inn was a relaxing and enjoyable get away. I especially enjoyed the inn’s signature wines and the convivial afternoon service in which they are served. With the innkeepers and other guests, I had a truly (much fewer than) “six degrees of separation” experience. We shared stories of other inns, wines, dining experiences, sports associations and all manner of other topics of interest. A really nice evening.

My room was very spacious and nicely appointed. The bathroom luxurious. The view over the rolling hills of grapevines was unrivaled.
Enrique the Chef was very attentive and served up a great breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2007

My husband and I stayed there for our anniversary. When I booked the hotel I told the front desk that it was a suprise and she was great about the whole thing with a bottle of wine waiting for us in our room. As we drove up, the place looked very quiet and almost deserted. We walked in and were greeted by a gentleman who was informative and nice. We had been upgraded to a suite as well. The room was very nice, the view was picture perfect. However, for a newer hotel I didn't really like the decor and furniture. I am not sure why a bathroom with a giant jacuzzi tub would not have two sinks with all the space in it, and the living room area also boring. In fact, they really should have hired a decorator. For the price $299, I am not sure I would stay there (and that's a standard room price). I would most likely stay at the resort in town Rose something. The breakfast was good, it was HOT and very nice. The breakfast room was also nice. Overall, the stay was nice but I was not too impressed with the room. IT did not give me that WOW factor. The grounds are beautiful though. The Inn just seemed liked it needed more life, it just felt too deserted.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank 2007vam
Reviewed March 4, 2007

I booked a room here for our one year wedding anniversary. Hoping to have a nice getaway from everything. The room was very nice. Very clean and enjoyable. the view would have been a lot nicer in the spring and summer when everything is green, but still picture perfect. It was very dry there so bring lots of water , bottled because the hotel will charge $2.00 for a small bottle, and the tap tastes like dirt.

The wine tasting was a lot of fun. My favorite part of the whole trip. Leslie the bartender did an excellant job kept everyones glass filled.

Now when we arrived we let the front desk know that we would like to have breakfast delived to our room. She informed us that they are not doing that anymore, the owner is trying something different. So breakfast was downstairs, not a big deal but a little disapointing.
We arrived downstairs for breakfast at 9. Breakfast was between 8 and 10. So we get there and notice that it is a buffet style set up. With danishes, yogurt, fruit, some eggs and potatoes, bacon and sausage and toast. The stuff that was supposed to be hot ie the eggs, potatoes,sausage and bacon were NOT. The eggs were slimy and really gross. The sausage was so dry and hard it was like eating a stick. Then we sat there for 10 minutes waiting for something to drink. I finally had to find the server and ask her for some coffee, water and orange juice. She then informs me that they were out of orange juice. I couldn't believe it. For what we paid a night they should't have run out of anything let alone orange juice.
So bottom line if you are there for the wine and scenery it was very nice. For service and thier so called "breakfast" it was very disapointing and bad. For about $200.00 less you can stay at a Motel 6 and get the same breakfast and drive to the winery, pay $10.00 a person for the wine tasting and get the same result.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank dmcannizzo
Reviewed January 14, 2007

We stayed at the Churon Winery for one night for a romantic getaway. The weather was unseasonably cold (got down to 25 degrees the night we were there), so we didn't get to enjoy our balcony, but the view from the window was very nice.

DISAPPOINTMENTS: The room was nice, but not fantastic. We appreciated the aesthetics of the fireplace, but as with all gas fireplaces, it didn't give off much heat. They had some water damage in the ceiling that they hadn't fixed yet, and the wood paneling/wainscoting on the walls hadn't been stained or painted yet. My only other complaint was the bathroom shower. We had an absolutely gorgeous marble shower, with a rinky-dink showerhead that put out a minute amount of water. However, we LOVED THE JACUZZI TUB. It was really nice to soak in the tub on such a cold day. I wish the towels were better. They were fairly small, and not many of them.

APPRECIATIONS: The staff was great, very friendly and attentive. I loved that we could have breakfast delivered to our room for an additional $10. What a treat! The size of the room was very generous. The furniture was pretty, and fit well with the French chateau theme. We had a hand-painted headboard on the bed, and the sink vanity in the bathroom looked like an antique cabinet. It was well-appointed, and the bed linens were very, very comfy.

I would stay there again, especially for the accommodating staff, and the room service. I think in the summer, when the vines are not bare, and the sun is shining, and you can enjoy your little balcony with a glass of wine, it would be a perfect place to go for a weekend getaway. I wish they would lower their rates in the winter time.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heidit
Reviewed December 4, 2006

My sister and I stayed at Churon Winery for two nights. What a great weekend! The staff is amazing, the rooms are huge and just beautiful. Everything was over and above our satisfaction!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank wessa
Reviewed September 4, 2006

First the bad (it's a short list): The room and inn seemed a bit like they were works in progress. In the room, everything was very nice and new, but there were a few very minor details that seemed rough-edged (like the inside of the closet, which seemed still to be in the midst of construction). I believe some changes are coming soon, like an expansion of the restaurant (and, some staff members told us, small additions to the room, such as a mini-fridge), so there was some construction going on in the parking lot.

But there were just so many positive points that the Churon Inn definitely earns a five-star rating from me. The staff was friendly and gracious. Everyone from Enid (?), the woman at the reception desk, to Sal (?), the guy at the wine bar during Inn guests' private (and free!) wine hour, to the breakfast servers, to the Inn owner himself (who was very "present" at the facility during our stay) really went above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel welcome and to help us out when we needed recommendations or just some good conversation. Did I mention how great a wake-up call the free breakfast (with juice, coffee and a choice of five delectable meals) served from 7-10 a.m. every morning was? Yum. Get the omelet.

The room was great: king-sized bed and a good-sized balcony w/ french doors and an outdoor table and chairs so you can watch the wild rabbits when they nibble on the grass at dusk. And the bathroom was FANTASTIC. Really. There was an awesome jacuzzi tub (I grabbed a bottle of bubble bath in town!), a huge and impressive glass-doored shower and separate sinks w/ separate mirrors.

With all of this, we found the $150 vineyard view/$200 suite rate on weekdays to be a fabulous deal, especially considering that other area hotels don't lower their prices as considerably (~$100 at Churon) from the higher weekend rates. I really enjoyed the wine tastings in the valley, so I will definitely make it back someday to Churon.

Stayed: August 2006