“Lovers Special”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Southern Ca
“Lovers Special”
Reviewed March 2, 2011

My husband and I and our best friends spied this wonderful opportunity to stay at the South Coast Winery Spa and Resort during Valentine's Day Week. Any other time we would not be able to afford such a luxury! We arrived and were able to check in early and enjoy the room with a fireplace in the rain. The room was actually a small "villa" broken up into different areas-eating (small fridge, sink, and microwave and dining table and chairs. The living area had a couch, chair, table lamps and a fireplace. The king size bed with down comforter and pillows was in the corner overlooking the vineyards with a huge bathroom.The bed was a dream to sleep in. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub, separate shower and toilet area( with a phone) and a his and her sink. The decor was done like an Italian villa. We had a bottle of wine of choice in our room as part of our "Lovers'" package as well as a wine tasting for two, a mimosa breakfast the following day, and a book of coupons to use at the spa and restaurant. The breakfast was wonderful and the service there fantastic. The service at the resort from the front desk to housekeeping was the best I have ever had. If you get the opportunity to visit this wonderful resort-do it! I am looking forward to returning again whenever another great deal comes up!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
California
Reviewed February 25, 2011

We recently went to South Coast for a belated Valentine's Day celebration. We didn't have really high expectations I hate to say. We are not big fans of the winery. However the resort really exceeded our expectations. Though I will agree with some reviewers that the decor is a little 90s and/or California model home generic, I won't knock the rating down for that reason. The furnishings are in excellent shape and very clean so I consider it a matter of personal taste. The fireplace worked great- which was nice since it was "chilly" for California. The hot tub was big enough for 2 (though we're not tall people) and more importantly was immaculate. There was a nice sized 2-head shower and the bathroom itself was huge. There was a cute table for breakfast, a wet bar, and a nice private patio outside french doors. If you plan to watch TV, you probably won't like its location but I hope you don't go there to watch the game. I think its important to note that this IS a villa and NO walls are attached. Many hotels are using the "villa" moniker a little loosely.We received several nice perks associated with the winery & restaurant. Overall we were pleasantly surprised and happy. I'd like to go 4.5- it wasn't perfect. But we'd go back again.

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed February 14, 2011

We stayed over Valentine's Day weekend in one of the resort's premier villa suites. There are two of these types of villas on the resort property. They were not advertised on the website, which indicated they were completely sold out, but when I called and asked if they had any special suites, this one was available. They really should advertise the suite, it was in a prime location, overlooking the vineyards and facing the mountains. The suite we were told was twice the size of the regular villas, it featured two full bathrooms, foyer, large living room with a dining table for 6, and two flat screen televisions and fireplaces located in both the master suite and living room, as well as, a large, private balcony. Really it felt like having your own private condo on the vineyard. The room was super spacious, the bed was surprisingly comfy (I'm super picky about this), and well kept. The decor is not super modern or stylish, but it's fitting with the "wine country style." My only gripe about the room was the noise the AC would make when it switched on. During the night it would wake us up and I had earplugs in! The resort should install central air instead of stand alone units, They were just too loud and would project the cold air directly to the bed. Others staying in the hotel had a similar complaint.

Check in was swift and courteous, even for a busy weekend. Every employee we encountered at the resort was friendly and helpful from the front desk, to room service to the restaurants. I have to give special acknowledgement to the cashier at the gift shop who took the time to wrap a gift nicely and had a real genuine, pleasant attitude.

I appreciated the discounts and amenities provided for resort guests including discounts at the spa, free wine tastings and a complimentary bottle of wine in the room.

Housekeeping did a great job. I am not sure if every room received turn down service, we requested it, and the only miss was that the housekeeper forgot to refill our ice buckets. Not a big deal if there were ice machines nearby, but we had no luck locating one.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was nice enough, next time though I would like to try to eat somewhere in old town. Obviously, you come to Temecula expecting to drink wine, but after the first day I was craving just a simple martini. Warning here----they do not serve liquor at the resort, including in the restaurant. It's beer and wine only. So if you’re not a complete oenophile - BYOB! =)

We did a wine tour in a limo with our friends. We requested tasting smaller wineries, as we had already been to all the biggies. Our tour included Weins, Leonesse, Keyways and Robert Renzoni in that order. I will review these wineries separately on tripadvisor, but my favorite was Renzoni for its classic Italian style varietals (Leonesse was also a favorite of our group). There are several wineries along the "De Portola Wine Trail", they are mostly smaller producing, family- owned wineries and I highly recommend trying the wineries in this area if you want to have a more intimate wine tasting experience. Everyone in our group appreciates fine wine and we were happy to discover several great wines and noticed a real improvement in the quality of wines coming out of Temecula from the last time we visited.

Overall, we had a very good time and enjoyed the quick getaway from Los Angeles. I believe this is probably the nicest and most centrally located resort in Temecula wine country. It was worth it for us to stay in the large suite, as we felt it had the most privacy and comfort. I would likely stay at this resort again when wine tasting in Temecula and would recommend it to others.

Claremont, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Warm welcome by the front desk staff, several fun extras are included. Free wine tasting and pancake for breakfast with your room. Great amenities in the room. Love the privacy of having your own casita. Plush beds, large bathrooms, it was the best place we stayed on our 10 day trip to CA. Only bad thing was a dirty shower head which was odd since everything else was so nicely cleaned. Room also came with complimentary bottle of wine and glasses. We would absolutely recommend it. Don't forget to get the bananas foster pancake the next morning, was the best breakfast I've ever had!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Stayed at South Coast for a business retreat last week. 3 nights and days. was excited to experience a bit of business and pleasure but feel the property/staff fell a bit short on guest experience. the Temecula Wine area has beauty. the good: 1 hour from San Diego, spacious rooms and mostly detached rooms, comfy beds, nice grounds and very good staff at front desk. The average: very 1990's decor and architecture, service staff for room and really slow internet in the room. food was average to below average for the price. as a venue for a retreat: below average. the barrel room was not as private as it could have been and lacked character.

the true issue for me is value: what we paid for 3 days. $750 in hotel room, $45 in resort fees and $200 for 1 meal and 1 round of drinks for my fiance and I seemed like a lot.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ModernTraveler10
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 31, 2011

What a wonderful location for a get-away. The room I stayed in was a bungalow styled building. It was very quiet and set right next to the grapevines. (I bet it's absolutely gorgeous in the summer!) The room, including the bathroom, were so roomy and elegant (the bathroom was on par with what I've expreienced at the Four Seasons.) The bed was comfortable and provided a fine night sleep, the staff was very accomidating, and what a nice bonus to arrive to a bottle of wine to enjoy. I would recommend this location to other travelers for sure.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I recently stayed at S.C. Winery on a recommendation from a client and they were right. I really enjoyed their property even though there was no grapes in the vineyard it was really pretty. We arrived early and took the wine tour while we waited for the villa to be ready. The tour was interesting and lots of sampling along the way. Followed by wine, cheese, fruit, and chocolate pairing in a garden. The villa's have a large tub and fireplace, cottage styling interior. We had dinner at the restaurant (not sure of the name), romantic with the candle lit dinner. The portions looked so small I was scared we were going to be heading out to Chilies after wards. However, it was delicious and filled me up. After 7 pm the resort is pretty dead. If your looking for nightlife or any fun after dark there's nothing going on. The hot tub and pool area are secluded and they don't care if you bring wine in. It was a fun one day mini vaca but more then that I would be bored.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple