“Lovely property but missing in some of the details.” 4 of 5 bubbles

South Coast Winery Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Temecula
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Riverside, California
“Lovely property but missing in some of the details.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I wanted to give this resort five stars since I have always been a fan of the property and the winery for years. The grounds are spectacular....the Villas are wonderfully decorated, spacious and give a nice sense of privacy. But as they say the devil is in the details. For example, I had back to back reservations and the hotel was adamant about their 4 o'clock check in and their noon check out policy. Even after I explained I had a continuing reservation for the following 3 days AND even offered to pay for a late checkout as the rest of my party was joining me later, the only concession they would give me was a 12:30 check out. I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever had an issue with a hotel either regarding checking in or checking out, especially one of this caliber.

Lots of weddings on the weekends it seems and very popular for bachelorette and girls weekends. Make sure to take advantage of the spa, wine tasting room and the restaurant.

Room Tip: Pick a villa vs a hotel room if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shannon B
Vanessa G, Public Relations Manager at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hi Shannon B,

We at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa would like to thank you for your recent visit to our winery resort and for your review. We strive to provide each guest with a wonderful experience and first-rate service during their visit. Firstly, we are glad to hear that you are a fan of our resort and love the grounds and villas. We understand that you are disappointed with our strict enforcement of our check-in and check-out policy. We try very hard to oblige all of our guest’s requests, however, we are not always able to accommodate them. That said, however, we value every comment received from our guests, as this provides us with direction for continued improvement. Customer feedback, such as yours, continues to play a contributing factor in the many room upgrades and resort improvements we are implementing today. We hope you'll visit us again soon to enjoy another stay in Southern California's Temecula Valley Wine Country.

We hope to see you soon.

South Coast Winery Resort & Spa Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I read the reviews prior to our departure for the Resort and was a bit apprehensive. I can not say enough about the beauty of the property. Cassandra assisted us at the front desk and could not have been nicer or more informative. She was wonderful. We stayed in a Villa and it was beautiful and quiet. The bed was very comfortable. The shower was amazing. The wine provided by the hotel was wonderful.

We did not eat in the restaurant due to the negative comments.

We will stay at the South Coast Resort again.

Room Tip: Like I said we said in a Villa and it was wonderful. We did not view the rooms located in the tower...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi cherylcook,

Thank you for your review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We would like to thank you for choosing our beautiful winery resort as your destination while visiting Temecula Valley wine country. We are thrilled you had such a wonderful time and that you loved the beautiful grounds, your private villa complete with custom made king sized bed luxurious bathroom, and complimentary bottle of wine. We invite you to return to experience a delicious meal at the Vineyard Rose restaurant, which received the 2013 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence and was voted one of the Inland Empire’s best restaurants of 2013. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

New Hope, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband booked us a night in a villa at South Coast Winery as a way to break up our trip from La Jolla to Palm Springs. I only wish we would've stayed longer! Our villa (we stayed in room 1903) was close to the pool, very large and super comfortable. The complimentary bottle of wine wasn't a bad touch either :). The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever stayed in and the bathroom was really clean and nice. We had a great time travelling around Temecula and wished we would have known what a gem this place was so we could've stayed longer. I would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vanessa G, Public Relations Manager at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hi dapfunk187,

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa! We are so happy to hear that you had such a great time exploring Temecula and staying at our winery resort. We are glad that you found your private villa to be so comfortable and accommodating, enjoyed the custom made king sized bed and the complimentary bottle of wine awaiting your arrival. We hope to see you again soon, perhaps next time for a weekend getaway.

San Jacinto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Everything about our stay was great. We were upgraded to a villa, it was clean, nicely appointed, and huge! The staff was prompt and very willing to serve. Upon checking they greeted us with smiles and wished a happy anniversary with a free bottle of merlot 2005. The location is close to the other wineries. We had a great stay and would highly recommend this winery as well as the villas which are super private.

• Stayed August 2013
Hi Grocha2001,

Thank you for your review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We would like to thank you for choosing our beautiful winery resort as the destination for celebrating your anniversary. We are happy that you enjoyed your visit with us and had such a wonderful time in your upgraded private villa. We thank you for recognizing our talented and thoughtful staff as we always strive to provide excellent customer service. We hope to see you again soon the next time you are visiting Temecula Valley wine country.

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I rated the resort according to my resort standards, not my typical hotel standard. This resort is definitely a higher quality than a regular hotel. My husband and I enjoyed a romantic few days away a couple days ago. The grape vines were full of grapes and the grounds were beautiful.

We stayed in the hotel and not in the villas. Our room was on the bottom floor, looking onto the front driveway. I think we were given that room because we booked through an online site and got a very good deal. The room was not very private. We needed to keep our drapes closed most of the time. We did sit on our patio to eat dinner one night, but as I said, not private. We typically love to hang out on our patio or porch when staying in a resort, so this was a bummer for us. The guest rooms in the back over look a small vineyard, I'd definitely choose that option our next stay. The villas seem very nice too.

Our room was clean and large. The set up throughout the room was a little strange. The sitting area was big, but the furniture seemed small. The desk was missing a lamp and there wasn't a light situated over the desk, so it was hard to see when sitting there. The bathroom, was very nice and clean. The bathtub was big and relaxing, but I felt like I had to be a high jumper to get into it. Big, high step, so be careful!! The shower was big, but the shower head was put awkwardly in the corner. My husband said he kept hitting his elbows on the corner wall when rinsing his hair. The bathroom had a decently sized closet as well. I didn't think the shampoo etc. was anything special. I've had the same in a regular hotel. Not what I expect from a resort, but my husband liked the smell of it though!

The room had a nicely sized refrigerator. It did make the normal refrigerator sounds at night. The in room coffee was great. The staff was friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

We had lunch on the veranda of the restaurant. The view was great, but the experience wasn't. It took a long time for our food to come and when it did my food was lukewarm. I asked for it to be warmed up and it tasted fine once it came back. They have a bunch of people working there, but I wasn't impressed with them. I'm not sure if I'd return for lunch again.

The pool and spa areas are nice. I had a massage, so I was able to use the spa, other wise I wouldn't have been able too, even as a guest of the resort. The area of the spa is small, but adequate. It has a steam room, (which was not on when I arrived and had to wait for it to turn on), a dry spa, and a jacuzzi pool. The massage was great! I loved hanging out on the spa veranda with a glass of wine at the end as well!

I think this is a nice place for a romantic getaway or a girls weekend trip. When we are in the area again we'll stay here.

Room Tip: Book a room in the back of the hotel or in the villas.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stilly09
Vanessa G, Public Relations Manager at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hi Stilly09,

Thank you for your review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We would like to thank you for choosing our beautiful winery resort for your romantic getaway. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel suites to be clean and roomy and had such a wonderful massage during your visit at the GrapeSeed Spa. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience during lunch at the Vineyard Rose Restaurant. We would like to offer an apology for the wait time and for your food being served lukewarm. However, we are glad to hear that once your food was served again it was to your liking and that you enjoyed the view from the veranda. We pride ourselves on delivering the best customer service to our guests and we appreciate your candid review, as it allows us to better serve our guests. We hope to welcome you back to our winery resort soon!

Cheers
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in March 2011. We did not want to stay in a typical box hotel and this location was close to family. The room was a bit spendy for the overall value; however, our room as quite spacious, clean and quiet. The bathroom and closet spaces were quite awkward making it very difficult for two people to get ready at the same time. We likened the bathroom space to a skinny train car. The breakfast was very good and again a bit spendy for the overall value. Despite the bathroom would consider staying here again the next time we are in Temecula visiting family. Even if we don't stay here again we will definitely stop at the winery. We really enjoy their wines and the Petit Verdot is our favorite.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi TerrieF98199,

Thank you for your review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We would like to thank you for choosing South Coast Winery while visiting family in the Temecula area. We are glad to hear that you found your villa to be quite spacious and clean, that you enjoyed your breakfast at the Vineyard Rose Restaurant and that you loved our Tasting Room and award winning wines. We pride ourselves on delivering the best customer service and the best experience to our guests and we appreciate your candid review, as it allows us to better serve our guests. We hope to welcome you back to our winery resort soon and will be sure to have plenty of your favorite, Petit Verdot in stock!

Cheers