“Nice Spa, good rooms, bad restaurant but probably best in area”

South Coast Winery Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Temecula
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Irvine, California
“Nice Spa, good rooms, bad restaurant but probably best in area”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

The grapeseed spa was very nice. My wife and I had the south last classic Swedish massage and it was top notch. We spent the day a the spa and had a nice time by the pool. Service was good. We checked in to the room and it was the same as the last time we stayed here. However, nothing had been updated and the furniture was a bit worn. Nothing too bad and it was really comfy. Bed was great.

We ate at the restaurant. It was sub-par at best. Outdated atmosphere, only served beer and wine so no martinis for us. The food was mediocre. But the seared Ahi was a joke. It was as if a grade school cafeteria served it. I was a tough piece of frozen tuna that had been unwrapped and seared in a pan. It had no flavor whatsoever. No outer seasoning. Probably the worst I have ever experienced. It was served on a bed of chewy leeks and cooked carrots..bizarre and unappetizing.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed August 25, 2011

The rooms are done up nicely and they go to great lengths to try to accomodate. We had a room with a drainage problem...they tried to fix it but to no avail. We asked for another room and got one w/ a nicer view, and another bottle of wine comped.

Dinner was nice, and the breakfast was excellent. They have a breakfast (pancakes) with a syrup that is light but excellent....almost a vanilla custard taste w/ a hint of coconut.
Delicious.

Privacy and a touch of elegance was our main goal.

Room Tip: specials are sometimes on travelzoo...we snatch it up when it's avail.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Anaheim
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is the most popular or commercial winery in Temecula and I assumed their resort villas would be the same. Dont get me wrong... I don't mind spending the money if the value is good, but I was hoping it would have been better for the price.

The Good: Individual villas seperate from each other, Semi-private patio with rows or grapes a step away, Comfortable sheets, Nice pool, Large Bathrooms, Complimentary bottle of wine, good A/C.

The Bad: The rooms aren't very nice, pricey spa/massages, restaurant is way over-priced, dated room decor, snobby staff in the wine tasting room, my girlfriend and I both had numerous bug bites after spending the night in their bed.

Overall: For a midweek day the price for one night was $220... simply not worth it. Churon is offering a free midweek night in their rooms free if your purchase a case of wine (~$120). I'll try that next... The only downside is they don't have a pool.

Hopefully Wilson Creek will enter the resort business since they seem to have everything else nailed!

I have stayed in the Hamptons for a cheap quick stay and they are pretty good! They also have rooms with Whirlpool Spas/Fireplaces. A good value at ~$140 and they take AAA discounts.

Room Tip: No discounts..
2 Thank JaredBush
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This place is a bit over rated. And overpriced. This place has the temerity to tack on a 1$15.00 a day bogus resort fee for everyday you are there. What a scam.
Just absurd. A major TURN OFF. WILL Not likely go back. I didn't like their hot tub closing at 8 pm, while pool stays open til 11pm. Didn't make sense. On the good side: most staff around area very nice, but girl at front desk was like a manequin. No personality. Restaurant delicious but very overpriced as well. Could go down at least 5 bucks a meal and that would be worth it. If the hotel dropped down 50 bucks a night it would be semi-worth it. Our waiter, a frenchman, was excellent. Recommended a fine bottle of wine. Our food was, though expensive, very good. Filet Mignon melted in my mouth. Fresh veggies. Great flourless cake dessert! Good coffee. Millions of rabbits around property. Very cute. Also a few cats. And crows. Lots of pretty grape vines, near some rooms, too. Wine tasting 2 for 1 wasn't bad at all. Matt, our server was a great host. Wasn't impressed with winery wine, however. Not good at all. Maybe next year? Overall, if you've just won the lotto or something, I suppose you could really live it up. Their spa that offers massages, facials, etc...is so overpriced I couldn't even hope to get in to have a nail painted. Gee guys, how about lowering the prices a bit and maybe you'd be packed every night. People can't afford this anymore. This place could acutally make more money if the attracted more people with a bit lower pricing.

1 Thank K O
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Villas are perfect for a little get away. Refrig's and coffee pots make it nice to be able to prepare a little something for breakfast. Bathroom was awesome with a dual showerhead in the shower, couples spa tub and dual sinks. We also loved the shampoos & soaps - we bought the larger size at the spa to take this expereince home with us. Ahhh...the beds....soooo comfortable! And we loved our private patio right off the room which was set right in the vinard, we had grapes growing right outside our door. Our Spa services were world class and all therapists & technicians did a great job. Food was excellent at the restaurant and Wednesday night live entertainment was perfect to set a romantic mood on the outside patio dining deck. I can't wait to go back! My husband and I went there for our "staycation" honeymoon right after our wedding as I didn't want to fly anywhere. I loved swimming and floating in the salt water pool everyday, it was the perfect get away for us in San Diego.

Vista CA
Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed at SCW for our anniversary 8/7/11 in one of the villas with a discount aromatic massage combined package booking for $249/night I reserved on-line. The villa was beautiful and exceeded our expectations, but customer service was truly lacking at this hotel. I have since read other reviews and agree that the owners of the resort could benefit by doing a survey and listening to their customers. From entering the resort from Rancho California Rd. and there were no signs where to check in so we did a complete circle around the villas and finally found the registration. Next we checked in and tried to do our complimentary 3 rounds of wine tasting, but the wine tasting room was too crowded so we went back to the pool and relaxed and purchased 1 beer and a glass of wine which was over $18 charged to our room! We had a very mediocre dinner of prime rib at the Vine Rose Restaurant - dinner was delivered while we were still consuming our salads and the meat was obviously very under cooked for medium rare and both cuts of meat had to be microwaved as they were returned to us in 60 seconds flat much browner. Dinner tab with tip and a bottle of wine which they pushed was $125. We did enjoy a nice complimentary dessert with our room package of flour-less chocolate cake and then ambled through the grape vine pathway back to our poolside villa to turn in for the night. Sleep was not accomplished very well by me as the air conditioner was pre-set at 77 degrees and kept noisily kicking on and off throughout the night. There was no way my husband could adjust the temperature and the room was clearly too hot for me to sleep- so I slept naked on top of the covers ($200/night hotel room!). We even opened the french doors because the air was cooler outside, but the piped in music from the pool which played 24 hrs/day was too loud for me to sleep. The next morning we went for our couples massage scheduled for 0900 and arrived approximately 20 minutes early and were directed to the separate male and female dressing rooms. I quickly got into my robe and was escorted upstairs and waited while chatting to another lady awaiting her massage. All the other customers went to their massages, but I was still waiting for my husband to come and be called for our massage and I began to wonder if he had a medical emergency because I had clearly been waiting about 20minutes for him. Finally after 0910 a female masseur asked me where my husband was and she herself went to the men's dressing room and found my husband waiting as he had been told by the male attendant to wait and he would be back to assist him upstairs to the massage area. The male attendant realized he had forgotten about my husband filling the water pitchers etc. and apologized when he saw the female attendant come for him and long story short our 50 minute massage was less than 40 minutes, but the spa director did offer to take $25 off his massage alone. When I complained at check out that my massage was also ruined and asked to speak with the spa director she did remove another $25 from our tab. My husband spent over $500 for one night's stay and I feel we could have been treated a little more cordial. South Coast should decide where they want to direct their clientele be it the boisterous wine tasting group or the over night villa residents and put a little more polish to the later if they want to encourage return customers and get references.

Room Tip: book on-line for mid week
1 Thank mervgrif
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed August 1, 2011

All accomodations are "villas"; one attractive extra large room with seating areas, dining table and chairs for in room dining and king size bed. Ask for a villa having a back patio facing the vineyard. The pool, while not deep enough for diving , is large and in an attractive setting. Sitting pool side having a leasurely drink and hors d'ouevres is a delightful way to spend time waiting for your mesage appointment, an attraction that is not to be missed. The on site restaurant is a must.. The food is quite good and attractively presented; the service is friendly and professional. The breakfast banana pancake should not be missed. It is large enough for two when accompanied by one of the variety of omelets available. South Coast Winery Resort & Spa is more than a visit when in the area; it is a destination itself.

Room Tip: ask for a villa with the rear patio facing the vineyard
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple