“Great steak” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gambling Cowboy

The Gambling Cowboy
Reserve with OpenTable
The Gambling Cowboy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 409 Restaurants in Temecula
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front Street
Murrieta, California
“Great steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Don't plan on going cheap here. Nice place, but u are going to pay. Excellent steaks. Worth the price in my opinion

Villa Park, California
“A return to the glory days!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

We remember this 3rd floor restaurant when it was Penfolds, both the good & the bad. Over the years this establishment had been Oldtown's best stop for a good steak in a fun atmosphere. When the value disappeared so did the restaurant. But now, reopened as the Gambling Cowboy the goodness is back. We split a delicious Porterhouse that was seasoned and cooked to perfection. The bar staff offered a friendly welcome, good service & a decent drink, all at a resonable price. Parking can be a little challenging and the elevator entrance can be a bit intimidating, but the effort is once again well worth it.

• Visited December 2011
Temecula, Ca.
“If you're looking for a great steak, this is it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I’ve eaten here a few times and have never had anything but a great dining experience. Their steaks are top quality, and every other dish that I’ve eaten there has been excellent. My wife and I have two restaurants that we go to for high end celebrations… Duane’s at the Mission Inn in Riverside and The Gambling Cowboy in Temecula (for Steak). I do have to agree with the one post that said the live music was too loud on Saturday nights, but I seldom go to restaurants on a Saturday night. It does get busy, so I recommend reservations.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank rso1411
San Diego
“Music Too Loud For Dining”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

We, 5 adults visited for the first time on Friday, June 10th. Our reservations were at 7:00PM. We were seated right away and our server was attentative and did a great job. We ordered Prime Rib, Rib Eye and Porterhouse Steaks. All of us enjoyed our food and would recommend the food. What we all complained about was the music. On Friday and Saturday evenings they offer loud music. The music was so loud that you had to YELL across the table to hear each other talk. We asked several times to have the music turned down some, but apparently the musician couldn't hear the request to turn down the volume as we watched our server ask him several times. We were there for dining. Music is to be background, ambiance. Not so overpowering that you don't enjoy your experience at a new restaurant. Would I go again? Only if I could be seated on the patio, so that I could actually talk with the friends I came with.

• Visited June 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
San Diego, California
“Primary flavors”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

I'm not sure why the Gambling Cowboy was full with a waiting list of one and half hours 3/5. The food was okay. I would place the taste level at an experienced home cook level as the food was devoid of subtlety.

Other than not knowing where to go there is no reason to wait for a table. We waited or more accurately, walked to other restaurants to see if we could be seated earlier.

Service was earnest not distinguished. We were happy with the time it took to get the food to us as every chair and table was full when we were seated.

Ended up drinking our wait at a saloon around the corner and can't comment on GC's bar or wine selection.

If you're after steaks or prime rib it is serviceable joint and won't disappoint and certainly not wow you. Think of it as a high end Sizzlin Sirloin, a place to go if you're with, or are, a picky eater. Not a place to seek out for a dining experience.

Mike