“Good Riesling, Not So Good Tasting Experience Overall”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Falkner Winery

Falkner Winery
Ranked #23 of 91 things to do in Temecula
More attraction details
Owner description: Falkner Winery is one of the premier wineries in southern California. Located in beautiful Temecula Wine Country, Falkner Winery offers spectacular hill-top vistas, daily wine tasting, tours, a large gift shop, wine tasting classes, weddings and scheduled events. FREE Jazz is performed on Sunday's from April through October. The Falkner's specialize in Mediterranean and Tuscan wine varietals including their award winning Super Tuscan "Amante". They also produce Viognier, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Riesling.
Malibu, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Good Riesling, Not So Good Tasting Experience Overall”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

The rating is really between poor and average but the rating options are limited. Granted, this place was CROWDED when we arrived but I at least expected our "sommelier" to interact with us more than simply reciting the name of the wine being poured. He was not rude but it reminded me of the type of service I would expect at a mall, not a winery. The Riesling was good, not too sweet, but the rest of the wines were not very good. Cute place with a gift shop and nice view...other people seemed to really be enjoying themselves, but we weren't that day. I may give it a try another day but the experience really left me in no rush to return.

Visited September 2012

Las Vegas, Nevada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“a contrast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We went there a little before closing time on a weekday and it wasn't crowded and you could tell they were looking forward to the day ending but we found the staff to be pretty friendly. We were expecting it to be a little more modern and upscale after spending the whole time driving up seeing the Pinnacle restaurant but were a little suprised when we went inside and it was almost like a log cabin, so much so we were a little lost finding the actual entrance to the tasting/retail shop area.

Visited August 2012
Encinitas, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Nice view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Nice place. Wine ok..... staff no so friendly but overall it was a good day. Not sure I would go back as there were so many other choices, but I you never know!

Visited April 2012
Fallbrook, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Very cool place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is what Temecula wineries are all about ... rustic and very cool folk behind the bar to walk you through the offerings.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank FallbrookGuy
Alta Loma, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Falkner Winery, California's Temecula Valley's finest Syrah”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and our son who recently turned 21, enlisted in a class at Falkner's VIP Vertical Syrah Tasting. The group that joined the tasting consisted of couples and singles who were either new to wine tasting or wine club members. The tasting room was located down stairs below ground level where the French Oak casks were aging. In a Tuscan style, the large enclosed glass room had a big table with an elegant spread of selected fruits, cheeses, meats, nuts and other delicate delights for pairing with Syrah wines dating from 2001 to 2009. George, our host was 4 Season's Corporate Certified Sommelier and now wine maker for Falkner Winery. The group was first transported from a view of the vineyard sipping on a mimosa of Imperial Chandon with very little freshly squeezed hybrid Valenica/Mandarin Orange juice and went physically down to the aging rooms and up in spiritual quality. The class was held down stairs in the Pinnacle Restaurant. Apparently, the restaurant is owned and operated by winery. After introductions, we tasted each vintage, we were given historical aspects of the weather, the people involved and the wine maker's artistry that the general public can read about. The aroma of various vintage and pairings with what would be considered an outstanding 5 star hors d'oeuvres were consumed. There really was no time limit to the tasting of all 8 vintages from the Rock Creek Vineyard. I was entertained by the George's personable approach that displays his passion for his craft.

The first time I visited Falkner Winery was 3 weeks ago on a short visit that was uninspiring. Upon dining at the Pinnacle Restaurant, located next door to the Winery, I consider the cuisine offered as good as any cuisine in Napa, Mendocino, Sonoma Valleys. This prompted me to re-consider Falkner Winery and sign up for a special wine tasting class.

Located on 40620 Calle Contento, Temecula, California, I recommend this winery for the wine tasting classes. I am informed that they do not give regular classes as many of nearly 40 wineries in Temecula Valley, however, upon going to 7 classes, Falkner Winery has impressed me. I have been transformed from, knowing what wines I like to enjoying the Syrah wines which I did not explore in my youth. Upon meeting George and Ray, both who are passionate wine makers and their enthusiasm to teach people the joys of Syrah wines, I cannot think of why anyone with an ounce of a wish to learn wines should not enlist and be amazed. I bought bottles of their International Wine competition gold medal

I have been drinking wines in America, Central and South America, Europe and Asia and did not learn as much in over 40 years as I have in the time I spent at Falkner Winery. The dining afterwards at the Pinnacle Restaurant tops off any meal anywhere in the world.

Visited July 2012