“Nice grounds, good visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 91 things to do in Temecula
Alta Loma, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Nice grounds, good visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

This place was pretty busy on a Sunday morning, probably because of the Monday holiday.

I'd recommend taking the "vine walk," a self-guided trail through the vineyard that ends at the Barrel Room. Surrounded by leaves and fruits, you will be away from the crowd for a little while.

You'll also get to see, touch, and taste the Cabernet Sauvignon grapes hanging from the vines. In September, they are the size of blueberries and sweet but not too much.

Of the wines on the two pages of selections, we like the 2006 Zin (light to medium body, tiny bit spicy) and 2006 Syrah (smokey and good body).

1 Thank Schneidler

Temecula, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Definitely not the friendliest place to go”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

Went to Leonesse with a friend who belongs to their wine club. We ordered their "Premium" tasting which is $25 (or $15 for wine club memebers----I have never paid to taste as a wine club memeber somewhere). We were directed to a certain bar to taste, and were met with the tasting room manager and an employee bickering, and acting as if we were putting them out by having a different tasting menu. HOW RUDE! When we tried to move to a different, and less crowded area, we were chased by the first employee and told we couldn't move because we had started with her. We ended up moving finally, after basically insisting on it, to a friendlier pourer, but after our first pourer made her way down the bar to make sure we were marked off on our tickets as not to get additional tastings. Leonesse touts themselves as the "friendliest" winery on their website---well I think they need to educate their employees on what friendly is. We even contacted the general manager of the winery to let them know about our experience, but received no reply.

4 Thank temeculawino
New York
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 183 helpful votes
“Quality and Flavor, all with a Great View!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2008

Leonesse Cellars knows wine and understands how to serve it. This hilltop vineyard provides amazing desert mountain views that go on for miles. The large outdoor patio makes for a great spot for enjoying the sun.

Leonesse was my last sop on a winery tour, and they really did save the best for last...or at least best in terms of wine flavor. With each swished sip, I was able to clearly pinpoint certain undertones in the beverage. Their blends and ports are crisp, distinct, and bold.

While we could have learned more at this tranquil spot, I was blown away by the actual taste of the wines. Granted I was here for the culmination of a day's worth of tastings, but I know a quality wine when I taste one!