“Not a standout”

Cougar Vineyard & Winery
Ranked #19 of 104 things to do in Temecula
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We specialize in 100% Estate Italian varietals. All our wines are produced at the winery. We currently farm approximately 17 family acres. Join us next time you go to Temecula wine tasting for some of the best selection of Italian varietals around.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 20, 2014

There were seven of us the day we went. It was a little confusing when we arrived. We weren't sure where to start. A nice man helped us, but we weren't sure if he was going to be our server or if someone else was. It took a while to get served. Our friends got served and we were still waiting for a while. Part of our problem was a coupon that we had. Once that was all straightened out we began our tastings. My husband wanted to taste a wine that wasn't in the order of "how one should taste" and the man pouring told him he should try the one above anyway. He told he that pour would be on him. So, he poured it, my husband drank it, and he didn't like it. He couldn't figure out why the guy had him try something he didn't want to try. It was odd. Luckily it didn't count as one of his pours.
The atmosphere was okay. I didn't feel that the ambiance was very inviting. It seemed loud and there were televisions on with the World Cup Soccer game on when we were there.
There is a little deli there. We thought that would be good should we choose to return. It looked like they serve perfect food to have with wine. Off hand, I can't remember what was on the menu. I just remember thinking it would be a good place to stop.
I did buy a bottle of wine when I was there. I am not sure I would go back though. This winery just didn't have the appeal that others have. I had heard good things about it, so maybe I missed something? I am not sure. It was okay and the staff was friendly.

All reviews
"staff was friendly"
in 4 reviews
"relaxing atmosphere"

Reviewed July 4, 2014

We come back here each visit, very pleasant. Judy was great talking with us and providing the tasting. The tasting area is pleasant with nice seating around to enjoy. Fee for tasting. Coupons 2 for 1 on different websites..We went home with our favorite the Estate Sangiovese.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

They didn't have my fave wine which was a bummer!
We arrived with a tour group for tasting and lunch but appeared many other groups arrived at the same time and they seemed a bit understaffed.
After a few groups left the atmosphere changed and things flowed much better. The gentlemen pouring for us was knowledgeable and fun.
We will be back and hopefully the Pink Cougar is available!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I've been coming here for years and always a great time! Rick, Jennifer and their crew are making magic in the breezy hills between SoCal sprawl and the big desert beyond. They do a lot of interesting things with their wines, mostly Tuscan, Friulian and Lombard (for the wine snob that wrote that Cougar doesn't know about Italian wine, the main thing "Italian" wines have in common is their "Godfather"-like names). The wines have always been good but didn't start off perfectly--then again, who ever did? What I like is that Cougar has always been accessible & friendly about being a work in progress, not just grateful for the support of its customers but eager to share the fruits of their own dreams as well as the incredible amount of work & sacrifice that went into it. That said, the Anglianico is, in my experience, as good as any I've had in Paso, Napa or anywhere else, and I enjoy ALL their wines!