“There Must be Better”

The Vineyard Rose at South Coast Winery
Reserve with OpenTable
The Vineyard Rose at South Coast Winery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 434 Restaurants in Temecula
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Anza
Description: Housed in an elegant, Tuscan-inspired dining room with a relaxing wine bar and terrace, The Vineyard Rose Restaurant at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa serves contemporary California cuisine sourced from the season's freshest, locally-grown ingredients. Sheltered by open beams in the dining room or surrounded by vineyard views from the terrace, your table will be set with the finest flavors. each of our meals perfectly complement the award winning wines produced by Master Winemaker Jon McPherson.
Reviewed April 13, 2009

My wife and I recently did an overnight getaway with Spa services at the South Coast Winery. We had been wine tasting most of the day as our drive was only from nearby San Diego. While the Spa and the winery were top notch, the restaurant was a bit of a dissappointment. The prices where consistent (high) with other similar winery restaurants but the service and food were nowhere near approaching those prices. The food was not bad, just unremarkable and unforgettable. My prime rib was as good as anything that a medium price steak house would put out. The vegetables were soggy, but the garlic mashed potatoes were tasty. My wife ordered a pasta dish with shrimp. This dish was quite tasteless, although the shrimp were quite good once she found them. The decor was pleasant and relaxing. Upscale rustic.
The waiter was seen only twice, to take the order and drop off the check. He did not check back, nor was fresh ground pepper or fresh Romano cheese offered either. This is almost mandatory in my book for this level of eatery.

The woman that gave me an excellent massage at the Spa the following day recommended the Ponte vinyard next door with hesitating when I asked where we should taste and eat next.
We ended up not eating in Temecula, but during our next wine tasting trip, I am looking forward to trying the Ponte restaurant.

Go for the wine tasting and Spa, but skip the restaurant.

3  Thank spwilson

Reviewed March 15, 2009

My mom and I were fortunate enough to have lunch here while on vacation. She had the pork chop for lunch while I had the spinach and cheese ravioli and both meals were excellent. Make sure you don't miss the tiramisu! The service was just a tad slow but I have to remember that we were supposed to be relaxing. I would definitely come back if close enough to make the drive.

Reviewed December 28, 2008

Hubby and I had dinner and breakfast at the Vineyard Rose restaurant during a recent stay at the South Coast Winery. I would give the Vineyard Rose three-and-a-half stars, if half-stars were possible. As it stands, it's a good restaurant -- good food with very good service and a very attractive facility. Prices are a little high, but consistent with the prices in Temecula.

The dining room is large, with very tall, beamed ceilings. There is an abundance of exposed wood, giving it a lodge-like feel. The tables are really well spaced -- not jammed together as so many places tend to do these days -- and the chairs and booths are comfortable. The entire room was decorated very gaily for the holiday season.

In addition, there are tables off of both the front patio and the back. The back tables had the better view, but both seating areas seemed nice (they were closed due to the chilly weather).

Although they were short-staffed (this was the day after Christmas), we found the service to be good -- when the waiter, servers, and busboy were at our table, they were friendly and attentive. Although we were not in a hurry at dinner, the waiter gave us a free dessert as an apology for the slow service -- a nice touch and usually the sign of a well-run restaurant with good staff.

The menu is pretty standard and a little disappointing for wine country, however our meals were good. They had a full breakfast menu as well, heavy on the use of Italian and Portugese sausage in several of their savory dishes.

All in all, a good to very good place. I think it would probably impress a slightly older crowd (my dad would like it), but it fell a bit short for us in terms of creativity of the food. For a bit more imaginative wine country fare, I would recommend The Smokehouse Restaurant located next "door" in the Ponte Family Estate. However, the Smokehouse is only open in the daytime.

1  Thank New2Cal
Reviewed November 15, 2008

Friends invited us for "Brunch/Lunch" on Sunday, November 9, 2008 at 11:30am at the Vineyard Rose Restaurant.
The server bringing water never said "Hello", never smiled and forgot to bring to bring bread to our table. We requested the bread and it was served.
The waitress took our order, the eggs for the eggs benedict where supposed to be scrambled not poached. When she brought the dish with the poached eggs my friend pointed to them and told her, that is not how she ordered them. The waitress said:"how interesting." She returned with two fried eggs a few minutes later.
I ordered a sandwich with shrimp on Foccacia bread. The shrimp were the tiny frozen salad shrimp, I expected a few shrimp grilled or sauteed not 6 tiny shrimp.
We were very disappointed and can't recommend the restaurant to others!
The weekend before we had lunch at Ponte's winery and it was GREAT!

Reviewed November 4, 2008

What can I say? This restaurant is wonderful. The dining room has a cozy, lodge-y feel despite its large size. Our waiter was wonderful -- friendly, accommodating, great recommendations. Delicious food, good wine. A bit pricey, but not bad, really, considering the quality of the food and the experience. Be sure to order a hot fudge sundae and ask for extra hot fudge. They make their own hot fudge and they will happily bring you an entire extra gravy boat full of this sinful indulgence. Magnificent!

1  Thank CoronadoCookie