“I'd opt for better in Bakersfield if I were you.”

Holiday Inn Express Tehachapi Hwy 58 / Mill Street
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Tehachapi
Atlanta, Georgia
“I'd opt for better in Bakersfield if I were you.”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

It's a new hotel, nice location, probably the better choice in Tehachapi - but they gave away my reserved room, made 3 weeks in advance. Lots of workers stay here, lots of noise 5-7 a.m. Pet-friendly meant stuck in area no one else would prefer. I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PaintTheCity
tehcafd, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Tehachapi Hwy 58 / Mill Street, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Good Afternoon and Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests in order to maintain a higher quality hotel. I understand that you had a negative experience at our hotel and I would like to sincerely apologize on our behalf for the areas in which we did not meet your expectations. If you would like to contact me to discuss further your experience, it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to work with you on improving our hotel for yourself and for our future reservations. I would also like to offer you a discounted stay with us if you are ever in Tehachapi again so that we may hopefully earn back your trust and respect in our hotel. Please contact me at our hotel at 661.822.9837. My name is Kimberly and I am the Director of Sales. Again, thank you for your review and I hope to hear from you soon =)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Irvine, California
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is a typical new-build Holiday Inn Express - 3 story (with elevator) located on the north side of Highway 58 (the town is on the south side of the highway). There is a Denny's Restaurant across the street, but not much else. Room was moderate size. Window opens. Microwave, refrigerator, full length mirror, sofa chair, desk, good lighting, nice size bathroom. Internet access in rooms at no charge. Room was clean and in good condition. Bed was very comfortable, with a choice of firm or soft pillows. Breakfast was typical fare, heavy on fat and carbs. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Hotel is located away from the railroad tracks, so I did not notice any train noise (most other hotels in Tehachapi are within a block of the railroad. Trains are frequent and blow their horns liberally for the crossings in town.) There is plenty of free parking. Downsides: heating/air conditioning unit in the room was very noisy; soundproofing could be improved.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel, we always appreciate those who take the time to let us know how well we are doing. I am glad that we were able to mostly accomplish your expectations of our hotel, and am sad to see that we weren't 100% with you. I'd like to apologize to you for the noisy room you were given and would appreciate you contacting me to let me know which room it was so that I can make sure that the A/C is properly taken care of. I would hate to have more of our guests have a restless night over something we should be able to fix. My name is Kimberly and I am the Director of Sales, my phone number is 661.822.9837. I hope to hear from you soon =)
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Nice hotel, big clean room, although ours was directly above the entrance so had no view. The automatic doors opening and closing at the entrance were a bit annoying too. We could also hear some quite loud music but couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

Good location though, made a good stopover point for us on our drive from Death Valley to Yosemite. (We had to go this way due to the Tioga pass road into Yosemite being closed).

Tehachapi is a lovely little town. We went to Jake's for dinner which was really nice.

Breakfast was a big disappointment. The fact that it is served on flimsy paper plates, cups, and uses cheap plastic cutlery is a big turn off. I think this is a big mistake by HIE. It feels really "budget" and spoils the whole experience. The food was not great either. I'm English so wasn't sure what the gooey looking stuff was. I asked someone and they said it was sausage and gravy, but "not great" they said. I will eat anything, but I gave that a miss! I'm sorry to say this but in America your bacon is awful! Thin, crispy and hardly any meat on it. Come to England for a proper breakfast!!!
My kids are a bit fussy but their eyes lit up when they saw the pancake maker. Unfortunately it didn't work properly, and produced a tiny blob of something! We told a staff member who attempted to fix it, but after a couple of attempts it was clear it wan't going to work. A shame, as my kids went hungry!

Overall then it was ok for one night, but would probably choose a different hotel next time. Would rather pay a little for a decent breakfast than have a poor complimentary one.

Room Tip: Avoid room above front entrance
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank XCTrainsDriver
Good Afternoon and thank you for reviewing our hotel. I do appreciate you taking your time to let us know about the good and the bad. I am glad that the rest of your stay was to your satisfaction but sad to hear that you had such a terrible experience when it comes to our breakfast. I would like to let you know that I have brought your concerns to our management and we are in the process of making the appropriate adjustments accordingly. Thank you for staying at our hotel and I hope that someday you may give us another chance =)
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Worst hotel experience EVER. Billed for two reservations, never stayed there, showed up at 1pm on day of arrival and cancelled my reservation due to location of hotel was BILLED for the night anyway and when I called to get charges reversed they BILLED me for a second night. Holidayinn.com no help. DON'T STAY HERE, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Elizabeth247
tehcafd, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Tehachapi Hwy 58 / Mill Street, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for bringing out your concern about billing issue you encountered in your last stay with us. We do understand it can be very frustrating and appreciate your patience with the issue. Unfortunately we cannot waive the charges that have occurred because we do not process any records of when and with whom you had placed the cancellation request. All we can see through our system is that this reservation turned out to be a no-show on a date that the hotel was at 100% Occupancy, at which point there were several turn aways due to the gaurantee of your reservation. We are sorry if we cannot supply the resolution that you desire specifically due to lack of records and prolonged period of time that has passed since we charged your credit card to the no-show in February. What we can do is to offer you a discount off your next stay with us.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to seeing you and your family in the near future.
San Jose, California
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This is one of the newer hotels, 5 years old as of 2012. It is located FAR away from any railroad tracks on the other side of HWY 58 next to a Dennys and Texaco gas station. We had a room on the third floor facing the town of Tehachapi and the mountains. The staff was extremely friendly and courteous. In the morning I ran down to the breakfast with only 10 minutes left to go and the staff assured me that it was no problem and to please take lots of food and take my time. There were scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, yogurt, bagels, cereal, bacon etc and really yummy cinnamon rolls. The coffee was good also and available 24/7. The room was clean and functional and quite spacious. They had tons of cable stations which made my children happy! It would be a nice place to stay in snow...unfortunately there was only snow on the mountain tops.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
U.K
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed here one night , it was just what we expected,comfortable bed and room,quiet location,far enough from the trains to sleep!
The hot breakfast was excellent , no negatives,can fully recommend

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank roscoetheotter
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I want to also take this time to thank you for noticing our hotel staff and the comments you left will be passed to them in an effort to let them know that there positive attitudes and helpfulness has not gone unnoticed.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Great quiet place in Tehachapi. Very convenient, right off the highway. Sits back from the rail tracks, so train noise is not very noticeable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Travel4Fun_DC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tehachapi
Best Western Plus Country Park Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Tehachapi
La Quinta Inn Tehachapi
La Quinta Inn Tehachapi
#6 of 8 in Tehachapi
Best Western Desert Winds
Mariah Country Inn & Suites
Motel 6 Mojave - Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Tehachapi Hwy 58 / Mill Street? Share your experiences!