“It was only okay”

Cuisines: Italian
Tehachapi, California
“It was only okay”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

As locals we have tried it a couple times. It's okay, not great. As others have said the owner is very sweet and sincere, the interior is nice. The food however it was just okay. We'll try it again after going to the movies next door, but we don't expect much.

I had pasta that was good, husband and grandson shared a pizza that they said was not good at all.

• Visited December 2013

Tehachapi, California
“Mediocre Italian food”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Poor atmosphere, poor service, and food I can make better at home. Bottled spaghetti sauce is a lot better than what I had in this restaurant. We ate here once and won't return. It was a waste of money, the only advantage was that I didn't have to wash dishes.

Visited May 2013
Tehachapi
“Wish we could rate it higher”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We've eaten here a couple times now - had mixed results the first time, but decided to give it another shot. The owner seems very nice and sincere, the interior is pretty, the seating is clean and comfortable, lots of our favorite Italian dishes on the menu - the place has a lot going for it.

Unfortunately, a lot of the food just doesn't come out that well - very hit or miss. It simply doesn't compare to the good Italian restaurants we've eaten at in the past. A Calamari appetizer was inedible - like it had been frozen WAY too long; a Chicken Piccata order had no discernable lemon flavor and had not been pounded flat. A requested lemon wedge helped a little, but it was still nothing like an authentic Italian dish. Pacino's does a good version of this dish - maybe the cook should go there and try it.

Some other orders at the table were OK - but it's like just knowing the words to a song, but not the tune. It's not enough to have an attractive interior and list appealing things on a menu if the cooking doesn't support the promise.

• Visited October 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Excellent Dining Experience in Tehachapi (Italian Fare)”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

While on the 58 east, en-route to Palm Springs from Napa Valley, I was passing through Tehachapi and found myself craving a nice sit-down dinner. After searching through the downtown area, I spotted La Bella Amore Italian Bistro and decided to go in and see if they had fried calamari and cold beer. Upon entering the quaint and clean dining room, I was greeted by two female food servers who were preparing the dining room for dinner service. I was seated in a booth and my server, Ashley, approached promptly to offer me a beverage. I asked to start with an Italian Beer (Peroni) and an order of Calamari Fritti. The calamari was hot and tasty, the beer was cold and refreshing, and Ashley was courteous, friendly, and prompt. After finishing the calamari and beer, I was eager to try some of the other offerings so I ordered a glass of chardonnay, a dinner salad, and Capellini al Fresco Pasta (with fresh vegetables and olive oil and garlic sauce). Craving greens, I modified the order to add extra spinach. Though the entree took quite a while (arriving 21-minutes after the salad), I was happy with the dining experience to that point so I decided to enjoy a second glass of the delicious and refreshing wine. Two critical comments on the flavor of the food: While the pasta was light, fresh, and made with high quality produce, the cook made one sizable mistake by either boiling or steaming the veggies rather than sautéing them in the garlic-infused olive oil. Also, it did not seem like the cook took time to impart the garlic flavor into the oil by sautéing it slowly before adding the vegetables. Thus, the flavor of this aglio i olio pasta was not what it could have been if the cook would have been more on top of his game (Italian culinary principles & techniques). After finishing the pasta, I decided to enjoy some tiramisu and an espresso for dessert. Both were excellent and so I was able to return to the road with a smile, a full belly, and a desire to return someday for another satisfying dining experience at La Bella Amore in Tehachapi. By the way, if ever you decide to dine there, I recommend you ask for Ashley.

Liked: Clean Dining Area, Cold Beer, Tasty Calamari, Fresh Produce, Delicious Wine, Authentic Tiramisu, Real Italian-Style Espresso, and Ashley's Attentive Service

Disliked: Long wait for entree and the cook's lack of attention to Italian culinary details

• Visited July 2013