“Inconsistently prepared food, rude and invasive waiters”
Review of Blue Ginger Pho

Blue Ginger Pho
Ranked #13 of 68 Restaurants in Tehachapi
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Went several times over about a year's time in 2012 and 2013, hoping to find something just right, but it didn't happen. I've had good Vietnamese food, but this isn't it. The food was either seriously over cooked, under cooked (raw), or old (smelled spoiled and stale), and the size of the portions (of the same dish) would vary radically from one visit to the next. The waiters were friendly the first couple of times, but after that, became waaay too friendly, giving me no personal space whatsoever. At one point during a slow afternoon, a waiter pulled up a chair next to where I was trying to eat, sat down, and proceeded to talk to me throughout my entire meal! I did not invite him, he was not a personal friend, nor did I want him there, but I didn't want to be rude. I was alone, so I guess he felt entitled since I never saw any of the waiters (all male) do that to anyone else. During later visits when I hinted that I wanted to be left alone (by taking out a book), they (3 different ones) became rude, pushy, and insistent. I will never go back. I'm a nice, quiet person who minds my own business, tips generously, and is always polite. I work long hours and eat out a lot. They lost a good customer.
And by the way, TripAdvisor, I visited about 15 times over at least a year's time, for lunch and dinner (the menu is the same for both). There was no "one" visit, and this is relevant to this review. Why don't you include the option under "when did you visit" of saying it was for several visits and not just one since patterns are a reliable way to judge something?

Reviewed October 25, 2013

What a total surprise! By chance, we found this wonderful Vietnamese restaurant tucked away in a small strip of shops ... and I know, Vietnamese foods in Tehachapi? Yes, and it's very good too; I am a Vietnamese American restaurant patron.

Tasty pho and some quality steak topped the noodles. No skimping on the meat here! The options for Pho seem to be endless. There are plenty of options, including white and/or dark meat. We also had the grilled pork chop, fried egg and shredded meat topped a rice dish served with prepared nuoc cham (fish sauce). The large egg noodle dish with stir-fried variety of meat and fresh vegetables was quite decent too.This place compares very nicely with some better Vietnamese joints in Southern California.

Blue Ginger Pho is nothing fancy, but that's fine by us. There are plenty of tables; service was very prompt, nearly immediate attention from friendly staff. The restaurant cook/owner was pleasantly present there. It was kind of odd that we had several staff checked on us during the course of our meal. But we would rather be at an overly attentive but not too intrusive eatery than under-serviced.

Overall, our experience was very nice. It wasn't outstanding, but the Vietnamese meals were solid especially for a small place like Tehachapi, in the middle of the Sierra Mountains. We will definitely go back to Blue Ginger Pho upon our next and return visit in town.

1  Thank Tho C
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Every time we are looking into buying a boba they never want to make it. They tell us at 2:00pm and when we get there they tell us to weight 20 min. this is the only place in tehachapi that has boba I'm very upset at that...

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The service is friendly and food is always good. I love having a place in town where the servers remember my order! The broth is consistently good with fresh vegetables. The spring rolls are really yummy and a must-try.
Though this isn't the best Vietnamese food I've ever had, it always hits the spot for something fresh and spicy. It is a great place to have in Tehachapi

I always order the rare steak soup. Quick, delicious, and inexpensive.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

C-. PHO is about soup, GOOD Vietnamese soup. What I was served was not special. Overcooked chicken, noodles that were apparently old. Waiter in Levi's thinking about something besides serving me. Could have opened a can at home. Not great, but not bad. So-so.

Been to Blue Ginger Pho? Share your experiences!