“even the zucchini bread was awesome”

Kohnen's Country Bakery
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Tehachapi
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Kohnen's Country Bakery, located in historic downtown Tehachapi, California, is a delightful contemporary German bakery designed with Old World Charm. Honoring his German food traditions, baker Thomas Kohnen makes every batch from scratch - including some 20 varieties of artisan breads dense with whole grains, full flavors, and crisp crusts. Kohnen's offers fresh bread baked daily, including crusty rye, basil-barley garden, six-grain, sun dried tomato, delicate cinnamon raisin, and even pizza bread, not to mention pretzels, boiled-then-baked bagels, and Brotchen - traditional, crusty German breakfast rolls. We also offer refreshing German beer and freshly brewed iced tea. Desserts are gorgeous and irresistible, too. A few temptations are cinnamon crisps, apricot-walnut kolaches, and espresso chocolate chip cookies. The cafe also serves fresh-made soups and made-to-order sandwiches using Kohnen's breads for take-out, dining inside, or on the patio.
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We wanted to nibble on something as we drove around to see the murals in Tehachapi. We each had a cookie and they were wonderful. They had samples of the zucchini bread that I tried on the way out. All afternoon I wished I had gone back and bought a loaf! I agree the prices seem a bit high, but these are quality products.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I live outside of Tehachapi, and when I am in town running errands, I often will pick up a sandwich to take home for lunch. Their made to order sandwiches are huge and can be split with someone else if you aren't real hungry. They always have a delicious soup, too served with these flaky butter rolls. And there is a huge selection of outstanding breads .. Try the basil barley. Cookies and pastries are the best, too.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

They have great sandwiches. A little pricey BUT, you do NOT go away hungry! They do not skimp on ingrediants.
Their bakery has a good variety of yummy desserts. We especially like their cheesecakes and the chocolate eclairs.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Big, fun and usually busy place for breakfast or lunch. Kids can draw on a huge blackboard. Without a doubt, the best coffee in town. Take home a caramel apple pie.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Kohnen's Country Bakery, located in historic downtown Tehachapi, is a delightful contemporary German bakery designed with Old World Charm. Their breads and pastries are authentic and delicious, but my personal favorite is their sandwich menu for eat-in or take-out. I particularly love their Panini Grilled Rubien sandwich (German Rye, Pastrami, Swiss, Sauerkraut, German Pickle & 1000 Island Dressing) - but, I warn you, it is huge! They also offer an incredible Poor Boy Sandwich for two (Sheepherder's Loaf with Roast Beef, Black Forest Ham, Turkey Breast, Swiss, Provolone, Cheddar, Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onion, Mayo & Mustard).

They don't make reservations, but you can call in or fax an order for pick-up. Great food in the German tradition (I know, I lived in Heidelberg for three and a half years!).

3  Thank Alan B