“Good find on the way to Las Vegas”

Kohnen's Country Bakery
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Tehachapi
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Kohnen's Country Bakery, located in historic downtown Tehachapi, California, is a delightful contemporary German bakery designed with Old World Charm. Honoring his German food traditions, baker Thomas Kohnen makes every batch from scratch - including some 20 varieties of artisan breads dense with whole grains, full flavors, and crisp crusts. Kohnen's offers fresh bread baked daily, including crusty rye, basil-barley garden, six-grain, sun dried tomato, delicate cinnamon raisin, and even pizza bread, not to mention pretzels, boiled-then-baked bagels, and Brotchen - traditional, crusty German breakfast rolls. We also offer refreshing German beer and freshly brewed iced tea. Desserts are gorgeous and irresistible, too. A few temptations are cinnamon crisps, apricot-walnut kolaches, and espresso chocolate chip cookies. The cafe also serves fresh-made soups and made-to-order sandwiches using Kohnen's breads for take-out, dining inside, or on the patio.
Coarsegold, California
“Good find on the way to Las Vegas”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stopped in Techachapi on our way to Vegas and wanted to eat somewhere "local". Kohnen's is on what looks to be the main street of older businesses and buildings. Outside patio looked nice, and inside was a bakery, lots of jars of pickled foods, some gift items and a deli/sandwich counter. Tables are family style mostly. You order at the counter and the selection was good for a vegetarian and a non vegetarian. Freshly made soup, freshly baked breads, sandwiches were loaded. I had some really great squash bisque and a roll, S.O. had a cuban - he said it was great but a little too much of the seeded mustard. On the way out we got some yummy pastries - there were tons to choose from.

• Visited November 2013

• Korean first
Tehachapi
“Impeccably outstanding!”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

As a bakery they are unsurpassed, with too many great things to mention. A little pricy with respect to the gift shop stuff, but you can just look at it, no charge. Love, love, love this place!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank TehachapiWarren
San Diego, California
“Good, huge, but wrong sandwich”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I ordered two sandwiches to go at Kohnen's. By-the-way ordering consists of checking the boxes on a pre-printed order ticket and submitting the form, so there should be no doubt about what was ordered. We drove away without checking our sandwiches and were 2 hours away when we finally opened them. The sandwiches were good, the bread was excellent; and very large, one sandwich easily fed the two the us. The only problem was that one of the sandwiches was made wrong, the only items correct were the bread and the cheese choice. We ordered roast beef and got turkey, asked for German mustard and got no mustard. We were the only customers at the time, so it's not like we got someone else's order. My advise would be to check your sandwich before you leave the premises. Also got an apple strudel, which was somewhat bland, and a cheese Danish, that was excellent.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank sdtravelertoo
Pacifica, California
“Sandwiches and Bakery Galore!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Kohnen's has become a "must" stop for our monthly visit to Tehachapi. Sandwiches are made to order on the freshest of breads and with the finest ingredients. Not only that, they are big enough to feed an army! Well, almost an army! On each one of our visits I have to allow ample time to decide which delectable baked good to get. A few of our favorites are the espresso chocolate chip cookie, the ginger cookies and can't forget the wedding cookies! The best I've ever tasted! Another favorite is the carrot-walnut bread and the zucchini bread. Stop by Kohnen's, you won't be disappointed

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Gonzy1107
Albany, Oregon
“Great German Chocolate Cake”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

As I was wandering around in historical downtown Tehachapi, CA, I found this "deli/restaurant". I was in between meals, yet I laid eyes on that huge piece of cake and knew it was mine! I found it to be moist with a frosting of coconut and pecan that was very good! I had a delicious iced tea that came in a quart-sized jar! No problems with teeny servings in this place! And lots of variety with old world breads (like Grandmother's).

I watched other people receiving their food plates and each had Large portions! I listened to what other patrons had to say and each said it was delicious. My grandmother's German chocolate cake is still my favorite yet this gave hers a real run for its money!

• Visited August 2013