“Exquisite”

The Rustic Lounge at Cedar Glen Lodge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Rustic Lounge, is an Award Winning restaurant and wine bar that offers a unique dining experience for the guests of Cedar Glen Lodge while providing the local community a casual fine dining experience. The menu features seasonal offerings ranging from classically-inspired entrees to festive fusions. An adjacent wine bar and cozy fireplace will entice the outdoor enthusiasts as well as those simply looking for a relaxing environment to unwind and reflect on the day. Both the restaurant and bar offer stunning views of beautiful Lake Tahoe.
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Phenomenal food, atmosphere & service! The seared ahi was amazing, the kids mac & cheese was very good, the filet was perfect. The staff prepared a take-out gourmet birthday cake for my friend's daughter. We baked it back in the cabin and it was delish!

Martha B, Owner at The Rustic Lounge at Cedar Glen Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for your review! We are glad that your family enjoyed their meals. It is nice to hear that you found the birthday cake we prepared for you delicious. David, our Pastry Chef loves to put smiles on our guests faces. Come back and see us some time!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

the food was very high class and is worth trying. I had the duck and my wife had the filet minon. It was very good and the lounge is amazing.

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that you and your wife both enjoyed your meals, and found everything to your liking. We would love to have you back.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Rustic Lounge at the Cedar Glen Lodge in Tahoe Vista is by far the best restaurant in the North Lake Tahoe/Truckee area. We try to visit every month or so and it never disappoints. I never order chicken in a restaurant, but the chicken dish on their menu is fabulous. I highly recommend this restaurant. I wish they had a full bar, and a more extensive wine list, however.

Thank you for your review and continuing to be a lovely returning guest. Thank you for your compliments regarding the Roasted Chicken Breast. We are working on creating a more extensive wine list for every taste, so stay tuned! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Dining at the Rustic Lounge was almost the perfect end to a great day at Tahoe. My wife, daughter, and I were staying at the Cedar Glen Lodge and the Rustic Lounge was conveniently located in their lobby so we decided to check it out for dinner.

Things started out great: we had the tri-color beet salad and blistered shishito peppers for appetizers. For our entrees, I ordered the crispy skin duck and my wife ordered the quinoa jaradiniere. The server suggested either the mac’n cheese or steak with frites (off-menu) for our 3-year-old daughter. We thought our daughter would eat the beef so we ordered the steak with frites for her. For dessert, we ordered the meyer lemon cheesecake. The entrees were good, but the dessert was amazing!

After the meal, our server brought us our check. We saw that they had charged us $36 for our daughter’s steak with frites. I asked our server about the charge and she told us that unfortunately the filet mignon was the only cut of beef that they had, hence the $36 charge. Our server saw from our expression that we weren’t very happy to be paying $36 for an entree for our 3-year-old daughter based on her suggestion. She told us that she would see what she could do.

After talking to her manager for a while, she came back and apologized but said that she could only take $6 off for our daughter’s steak with frites. We still weren’t very happy to be paying $30 for our daughter’s entree, but we accepted it since we could have asked about the price when we ordered the off-menu item. The mac and cheese that our server also suggested was only $6 though, so we thought the steak with frites would be in the same price range.

As I was signing the check, the manager decided to come over to talk to us. She asked us if we had eaten our daughter’s steak or if we had sent it back to the kitchen. She said if we hadn’t eaten and enjoyed the steak, she could have taken the item off the check. I told her we did eat her steak because we always ate her leftovers, but that was beside the point. The point was that our server suggested the most expensive item on the menu for our 3-year-old and she didn’t think to point it out to us beforehand. She responded that she just wanted to confirm that we enjoyed the steak and walked away.

My wife and I were mortified. We weren’t sure what she was hoping to accomplish with her comments as we had not even asked for her. In all of our years of dining out, we have never had anyone be more disrespectful to us. We went and told her as much. She told us that she was the owner and to get off her property. This issue could have been easily resolved if she asked us what she could do to make things right. We would have been happy if she had at least lowered the cost so it was below our entrees.

Needless to say, we won’t be visiting The Rustic Lounge again, nor will we be recommending it to our friends. Based on the responses that she has made to negative reviews left by other reviewers for the Cedar Glen Lodge and the Rustic Lounge, you can expect her to reply soon with a defensive, personal attack at us. It’s a shame, because the restaurant has great potential, but the owner’s poor customer service skills and horrendous handling of the situation does the restaurant a great disservice. The restaurant could really thrive without her at the helm.

7  Thank Tinman_SF
Martha B, Owner at The Rustic Lounge at Cedar Glen Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Hello, my name is Ana Bryan and I am the Executive Chef of the Rustic Lounge.

Thank you for describing how good the food was. I cannot express how hard we work to provide everyone with the best dining experience possible. I personally pride myself on using the freshest and highest quality ingredients when preparing our food.
It is unfortunate that you have taken a simple misunderstanding and used it as an opportunity to speak so ill of my business. My family and I have devoted our lives to operating this hotel-resort and restaurant and we are rated #1 for a reason.

Even though the server also suggested the Mac ‘n cheese ($6), you ordered the fillet ($36), our most expensive dish for your daughter, but ate it all yourself. I am not sure why you think you wouldn’t have to pay for it; our prices are clearly shown in our menu. I personally trimmed and cut the Filet Mignon from a whole tenderloin to be a specific size and weight, and when you ordered it, I cooked it to perfection. You didn’t get a “children’s portion” or a cheaper cut of meat. You got the same superior product that everyone gets from my kitchen when they walk through my door.
Even though you were clearly told when you booked your table that we didn’t have a kids’ menu, and you replied “no problem, she eats what we eat,” the manager kindly offered to remove the charge if the portion was too big for your daughter, or if the food was not eaten. I am not sure why this offer is “rude,” or “not the point!” Upon departing our place, you decided to stop at the front desk and you and your wife made a very unpleasant scene, to the point where the manager had to ask you to leave the property.
Additionally, you booked a room for 2 people, which offers only one bed, rather than booking a larger room to accommodate your daughter as well, violating fire and safety codes, and also compromising your own comfort and that of your child’s.
Your hurtful review is not reflective of the manager, Martha Bryan, who also happens to be my mother. I would say that 99% of our guests love our service, our facilities, and our food which are all run by the manager. Your sad review goes to show the great lengths and compromises you go through in order to save a dollar. If the charge would have been removed, you would be posting a 5 star review, but we will not be bullied into giving free meals in exchange of reviews! Every guest that dines with us can expect to receive the same great food and great service for which we have become known.
Ana Bryan
Executive Chef of The Rustic Lounge at Cedar Glen Lodge

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Our meal at the Rustic Lounge was outstanding. The service was top notch from beginning to end. There is an excellent wine list and knowledgable staff to make suggestions. The menu was very interesting with delicious meat and seafood choices as well as vegetarian and vegan options. We ate here two nights in a row and loved every dish we had. The chef is really top notch, her dishes were creative and unique while still being somewhat familiar and comforting. Don't neglect the salad and desert menus. both had many truly outstanding offerings. We'd eat here again in a heartbeat!

Thank you for your review! We are glad that you enjoyed your dining experience, and that you found our staff knowledgeable. We try to provide our staff with ongoing training from wines all the way down to the cheeses. If you ever find your way back to Lake Tahoe, please come dine with us again!