All reviews paddle boards water bikes beach toys ice cream shop vaulted ceilings lake tahoe across the street private beach lakefront room chaise lounges great family vacation spot north shore rooms are large low key first floor close proximity dvd library
Reviewed December 25, 2006

This is a great place to stay,
We went for our anniversary in mid dec. 06 and we stayed in the honeymoon suite,we were so impressed with the excellent service and the beautiful location,as well as the Fantastic Honey moon suite that we want to go back in the summer.
The room was Awesome ,the Veiws were great,we felt like we were in our own little world,we will definately be booking again soon,
This will be our favorite Mid-winter Getaway from now on...p.s.
the best service we ever had was given by Penoir, She was awesome...

Date of stay: December 2006
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank 61willys
Reviewed September 7, 2006

We booked here hoping for a tranquil stay on the lake. We were aware of the road passing directly behind the lodge and did phone in advance to check noise levels and were told it wasn’t a problem. We arrived finding it to be a four lane road with constant traffic noise. Furthermore, we could hear the telly from the room next door in the mornings as well as the waterworks from the bathroom next door. Eventually one does get used to the traffic drone and it is fair to say that this road circulates the whole lake and passes many resorts, but it does consist of only two lanes in many places.

The resort is very expensive and it is clear that the premium price is for its own little beach area and view of the lake. In terms of the actual accommodation, it falls far short of the price paid. Apart from the next door noise, the room, which was spacious and had a seating area and telly, gets very hot at night, compounded by the fact that the bed has a down coverlet underneath the bottom sheet which not only makes you hotter, but is very uncomfortable with feather quills poking you. The high ceiling meant that the top glass panels let in all the morning light, waking you up early. It is a wonderful plus to open the curtains of the lower windows to see a glimpse of the lake in the morning, but also bear in mind that due to the room layout, once you open the curtains all room privacy is gone with people passing outside on the communal deck able to see the whole bedroom and right into the bathroom. The room has a very basic kitchenette. There is no dry cleaning or laundering facility available either. The only option is a coin operated launderette 3 minutes’ drive away - not the best place to spend your holiday time. There is also no breakfast option – not even a muffin for sale, which is a hassle on your first morning of arrival.

Housekeeping is not that great – I had to re-clean the bath myself on one occasion. Upon arrival, we had to report some missing blinds and the fact that the water bucket outside the door to rinse the sand off your feet was filthy and had not been refreshed in days. However, the reception staff were very helpful and friendly and fixed these minor problems. There is also free internet access use available at reception.

The location is very good for restaurants and activities. There are one or two restaurants within walking distance and an ice cream shop on the opposite side of the road. We would recommend Gar Woods Grill 5 minute’s drive away for a great view of the lake for lunch or dinner. There is also a big Safeway within 5 minutes drive for groceries. Kayaks are available to rent from a shack opposite the resort and there are jet ski, parasailing and such like activities available 5 minutes drive away and you can go on a sunset yacht cruise which leaves from a marina 10 minutes drive away. One can easily drive around the whole lake and see some sights in one day – we did this and stopped off for a walk down to Emerald Bay and took the Heavenly gondola in South Tahoe for a view of the whole lake. I would recommend North Tahoe over South Tahoe as it feels less built up.

Apparently Mourelatos has many returning visitors and apparently families with children enjoy it very much, due to the beach area and ice cream shop. In the evenings there is a heated coal pit on the beach. I only wish they would let off on the constant Greek music playing outside reception. The resort has also won some awards. All in all though, we were very disappointed even though reception staff were very valiant. I am sure one could find similar accommodation just as conveniently located for a much cheaper rate elsewhere and I would only consider staying here again if the rate was reduced to a truer reflection of the amenities of the actual resort itself.

Date of stay: August 2006
7  Thank MJCB
Reviewed August 31, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Mourelatos for 2 nights (I wish we stayed longer), everything was wonderful, we thought we were in heaven. The property is owned by a Greek couple, who dedicated their lives to make this place the best hotel in Tahoe. They seem like they thought about everything. I have nothing negative I can say about this place (and I'm a very picky person).
The rooms are designed with an angle so that they can all see the lake view. We literally had our breakfasts on the beach looking at this beautiful view. If you like to swim, the lake is warmer in that area because the water is shallow. The room was very clean, the staff were very friendly. If you are a coffee drinker, they have coffee maker in every room and there is a coffee shop across the street (or you can drive to safeway to get a starbuks coffee). It was worth every dollar we spent there. We'll definetely go back again.

Date of stay: August 2006
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Alpler
Reviewed April 17, 2006

My first time in Lake Tahoe was made much easier by the Mourelatos' Lakeshore Resort staff. They were very helpful and friendly, and there was always someone around when you needed them. The room was comfortable and large enough for a single room.You feel safe and secure and are well cared for but left in peace when needed. The location could not be better just next to lake Tahoe and also i will never forget the gorgeous lake view from my room....If i go to Lake Tahoe again, i`m sure that i will ask for a room again.

Date of stay: February 2006
3  Thank soktumbey
Reviewed January 11, 2005

I looked everywhere online for a hotel that would accept us for one night on a weekend and consulted my Lonely Planet as a last resort. Mourelatos was recommended in there and when I called they had space, too!
We've already been back at this hotel and it has become our staple. The building is newly renovated, the rooms are spacious, there is a fridge, microwave, large bathroom, tall ceilings and lake view.
The hotel is kind of pricey, but if you want a relaxing weekend in Tahoe, this is totally worth it.

CONS: no breakfast offered; no online reservations.

8  Thank Happiness5299