“A wonderful spot in Tahoe!”
Review of Cedar Glen Lodge

Cedar Glen Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Tahoe Vista
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had not been to Tahoe, this was our first trip. We found our "cabin" just as we had seen online and were also pleasantly surprised by how clean our room was and how friendly the staff was to our every need. Our only complaint was there was not a room with a fireplace available and no bathtub, only a shower. Our son was thrilled by the nightly smores and we loved the community feeling the owners create within the lodge boundaries. We will definitely come again!

2  Thank Evans506
Martha B, Owner at Cedar Glen Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you for your review! We are happy you enjoyed your first trip to North Lake Tahoe and felt comfortable around the property. We apologize there was not a fire place unit available. Next time you come to visit, be sure to snag one! Fireplace units also have tub showers, so it would be a perfect fit.

There are newer reviews for Cedar Glen Lodge

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed in #5 studio cabin. Not roomy but it was fine for us. Had a cozy cabin feel to it. Separate little nook was nice. No frig but the rate was good. There was always plenty of ice nearby for our ice chest. The room was not far from the road, but there wasn't a noise problem. Martha did a beautiful job making the lodge warm and welcoming. The continental breakfast provided a variety of choices of pastries and cereals, muffins, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit and fruit juices. It would have been nice to have a microwave there to zap the pastries a bit. S'mores every night around a little campfire pit was a nice extra. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the new restaurant there. Our dinner was very tasty and the presentation was similar to our cruise ship dinners, classy. The meals were a bit pricey. We split a meal, since we eat light anyway.
We have already recommended this place to friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thankful777

Thank you for your great review! I am happy you enjoyed our new restaurant and were able to make use of all the amenities around the property. We rarely have a noise problem in the studio cabins even though it is closer to the road, and for short stays without a refrigerator, guest seem to get by with just a cooler to keep their food cold. So I am very pleased you were comfortable on your stay. Nest time you come to visit, if you need a microwave and one is available, we would be more than happy to put one in your room. Hope to see your return!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here last year and had a great experience so we came back for a 2nd time and this stay was even better! We've frequented a few other places in the area that are the same style lodging and Cedar Glen blows the others away.
Super clean renovated cabins, amazingly customer service, and all around great property for hanging out and taking in the view. Spent a lot of time at the pool, firepit, & picnic area. Can't wait for our next stay so we can try the restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your flattering review! We are lucky to have you as our neighbors in Reno, anytime you are in the area, come by and say hello!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Had a great two-day stay at the Cedar Glen Lodge. Were meeting family from the east coast who were staying nearby, so it was a good location for us. Stayed in the back, upstairs at the lodge building with a nice view of Lake Tahoe. Room delightfully appointed,with attractive details throughout. Floors squeeked a lot, and I worried about disturbing people downstairs. Breakfast was good, and items plentiful. Owner was so nice, and gave me a ride in the golf cart from the lobby up the slight incline of a driveway as I was trying to carry breakfast for two to our room. Then he saw me the next morning, and repeated the offer. Very thoughtful gesture.

Room Tip: our room was very nice, but i think i would try for a one-story cabin closer to the lobby next time...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review! Alan is always happy to help our guests, especially when it comes to driving the gulf cart. San Jose is so close by, come see us again! November is a great time in Lake Tahoe, and all the crowds are gone.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We've stayed at Cedar Glen Lodge before and I would say that we liked it better last year. We stayed in a studio cabin for 4 days in July. Of course mother nature wasn't cooperating so we didn't have the most pleasant weather. But, we still did all the activities we wanted.

The best improvements to Cedar Glen was the lodge. We didn't get a chance to eat at the new restaurant, but we did enjoy the wine bar.

I think our biggest compliant was the guests this time. There were two large family reunions staying at the lodge at the same time. I think we may have chosen a different hotel if we knew there would be two large groups staying here. They took over everything...BBQ area, pool, spa, lodge. One night my BF and I wanted to BBQ dinner using the shared grills and picnic area. We went to look at the BBQs around 4 pm to see if we needed to buy any charcoal, etc. since we were going to the store to get out food items. We were quickly informed by one guest that she had over 20 people to cook for so we could not use one of the two grills. The other grill had a hand-written note that said "reserved." No one would even let us throw on a couple of hot dogs. So rude.

It was difficult to find a spot at the pool and we couldn't relax in the spa with a bunch of kids splashing all the water out.

In the morning, if I wasn't one of the first ones in the lodge when the breakfast started, I would have been out of luck. The groups took over that too.

This was supposed to be a peaceful getaway for my BF and I. Instead, we pretty much were at the mercy of two large groups and their agenda.

We really love the property and the staff is great. The owners are friendly and you can tell they have the best intentions to please everyone. But, it just fell short for us this year. It would have been nice to get an acknowledgement about the inconvenience these groups had on our vacation. Last year, for one night a company had a party on the property. Martha made sure we had what we needed and we were not disturbed by anything. This year, they catered more to the groups than to guests not in a group, so that wasn't a very pleasant experience.

This year they are not offering a military discount. They said that because they didn't raise the rates they weren't giving any discounts. But, that was disappointing.

I also want to mention that we stayed in the pet-friendly cabin last year and even though the bathroom was not very good, the room was much nicer than the studio cabin we had this year. The studio cabins are really tiny and close to the road, so really noisy. The small cabins also don't have a mini-fridge, so we had to keep our stuff in a cooler.

My BF and I are still considering Cedar Glen for future trips, but I think I will ask more questions when I book to see if there will be any large group reservations and then make a decision. We actually think it would be nice to have a wedding reception here, but I'm on the fence about it.

Room Tip: bring your pooch and stay in a pet friendly cabin. Since you have to drive most places, I suggest ge...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MandaSanders
Martha B, Owner at Cedar Glen Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Dear MandaSanders,

Thank you so much for your feed back! We truly appreciate what our guests have to say and try to address everybody's needs and concerns.

I am so sorry that you felt bothered by other guests. You stayed with us for 3 nights during July, which is our busiest time of the year. I am shocked to hear that they were "so rude," to you! Every time I went to the picnic area, all I ever saw was everybody socializing and sharing our facilities. So you know, we do have extra BBQs, which we bring out upon request.

I am sorry it was difficult for you to find a spot at the pool area, though it is pretty big. Kids were bothering splashing water. Again, you came to visit during the busiest time of the year and when families go out on vacation.

Even though our continental breakfast is free, between 8-10:30 AM, we provide an unlimited (literally!) amount of food. When something is depleted, we are quick to refill it immediately. So, I don't understand how you were "out of luck."

If you need a more peaceful getaway with your BF, try coming back during Spring or Fall.

We are really sad that we fell short of meeting your expectations this year! Please do know that anytime you come to Tahoe during July and August the whole town is going to be at its max capacity. I am sorry you feel that we "cater" to groups. We strive to give equal attention to every single guest. We always love the challenge to meet everybody's needs and concerns when voiced.

I am so terribly sorry that we did not give you a "military discount," on your 3 nights stay! You paid $99 per night, which included continental breakfast, Wi-Fi, free s'mores, use of our amenities, beach access (across the street), chairs, towels, ice, your $38 complimentary bottle of wine (via TripAdvisor coupon), and NO resort fees! Frankly, I don't think that even the worse hotel in the area could match half of what you received during the high season for $99 per night.

Yes, the single studio cabins were you stayed this year are our smallest (and cheapest) rooms and indeed, those are the closest rooms to the road and do not have mini fridge. And yes, we do provide ice for our guests coolers.

I am glad you and your BF still consider our property for future trips. Again, if you are looking for a quiet time, you must avoid July and August. If your budget allows it, we highly recommend one of our gorgeous free standing cottages with fireplaces, full kitchens, king size beds, etc. We are truly honored that you are considering a wedding reception here, unfortunately we are no longer taking larger groups.

Thanks again happy future travels to you!

-Martha =)

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Had a simply wonderful 3 days in Tahoe Vista, based at Cedar Glen Lodge. Alan and Martha- owners are the hardest working, most detail oriented proprietors I have yet come across in my travels. Beautiful, clean swimming pool and hot tub, which are daughter loved. Location cannot be beat with the best North Lake Tahoe beaches within walking distance. This is a classic Tahoe experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for the flattering compliments! It is so nice to have such wonderful guests, such as your family, come to stay with us; AND you live so close, so you must come see us again!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I can't say enough good things about this place:
Location - By the lake...stunning
Rooms - Modern, clean, spacious, beautiful
Facilities - Pool, hot tub, sauna, computer, breakfast, free parking...I could go on!
Price - Incredibly cheap for what you get
Staff - So friendly and informative
Generally - perfect!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the kind review! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay here with us! Come see us again anytime you make it back to North Lake Tahoe!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tahoe Vista
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
#1 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
#11 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge
#3 of 8 in Tahoe Vista

Been to Cedar Glen Lodge? Share your experiences!