I tried to a save a little money by getting a dorm room for a 5 night silent retreat. I paid dearly the year before and it was like staying in a fairly up-scale hotel room. The dorms however were depressing. Single beds. One dresser for 8 beds. In a basement that felt cold and dark. Poor air circulation and no amenities. (Someone told me they requested a frig and some other stuff later). I opted to up grade to the lower-end, ground floor room called Room F of the Pavillion rooms. There was a recently constructed and stained bunk bed and a queen size bed in the room I was assigned. The wood that had been stained still smelled quite toxic. The windows were nailed shut so I couldn't get any ventilation. They offered to bring me an air freshener. Then the faucet spit out black gunk and leaked. They fixed it. Then the door handle on the bathroom broke so I was locked out with my glasses in there. They fixed it. My last day there, the bathroom smelled like sewage which had come in from the ceiling. Later I heard a pipe had broke. They gave me another room to take a shower and it was a room that guests had already been in and left. I felt kind of weird using their old towels etc. but I was in a hurry! The manager said "I wish I would have know about all this three days ago, I would have upgraded you". I told her that I let staff know with each incident. I think I just had a "off" experience but the food and the rest of the place were very good. I still gave it 4 stars! Just don't go on the cheap unless you are really used to "roughing it". Also last year I left a $100 Tempurpedic pillow in the room and called the next day to get it back. It was gone and I knew my roommate didn't take it. hmmmm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Granlibakken's Tahoe's 74 acre, secluded valley is your very own cozy, alpine getaway. Perfect year-round for groups, weddings and families to connect in an Old Tahoe ambiance. Onsite activities include a treetop adventure park, historic ski & snowboard hill, groomed sled hill, hiking & biking trails, tennis courts and a year-round heated pool and a spa to relax in after all the fun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and getaroom.com so you can book your Granlibakken Tahoe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Granlibakken Hotel Tahoe City
- Granlibakken Resort Tahoe City