“Beautiful grounds, room just adequate”
Review of Granlibakken Tahoe

Granlibakken Tahoe
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tahoe City
Davis, California
“Beautiful grounds, room just adequate”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

After reading other reviews, we decided to stay here for a one-nighter in Tahoe. I have to stay, the is a beautiful place--large sprawling well-kept grounds with nice looking buildings that blend with the outdoors. The tennis courts, pool and hot tub were all great. We had hiked all day and were thrilled to be able to soak in the hot tub. Along with the hot tub, the other excellent thing about this place was the breakfast-- Way better than the usual continental breakfast.

But our disappointment was with the room itself. It was one of the cheapest ($150/night), but still-- it faced onto the busy road that everybody who comes there drives on. This includes trucks, deliveries, and shuttle buses. Noisy! The blinds in the room didn't close completely so light got in our eyes in the morning. There's no a.c. The TV was small and old. And, although the bed was fine, the pillows were hard as rocks and gave us sore necks (and prevented me from getting a decent night's sleep). All in all, I don't think I'd come back here. Or I'd spring for a more expensive room on the other side of the building (or in a different building). And I'd bring my own pillow.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face the road are better. If you have any issues with climbing stairs, be sure...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at Granlibakken Tahoe, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We truly appreciate the feedback and are always looking for ways to insure our guests leave feeling well taken care of. We are thrilled you enjoyed our resort amenities and our delicious food. We strive for total guest satisfaction so we hope you will come again for another visit and allow us to show you how much we care. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Toronto
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed at Granlibakken Resort as part of a conference this August, and have attended the conference at this location every two years for the last number of years. The accomodations are basic but sufficient. What reduced my rating is the poor level of customer service demonstrated by the staff. For example, when I had an issue with booking the shuttle service, the man I spoke with at the front desk was far more interested in reinforcing the rules regarding the service than empathizing with my travel challenges (my flights were delayed) and attempting to assist me in problem solving. While I absolutely recognize that my request was outside of their rules regarding reservation windows, and in fact was prepared for the possiblity that they may not be able to accomodate my needs, the attitude of the individual I spoke with was such that I left the interaction wanting to cancel my entire stay at the hotel. I had to ask twice for him to provide me with some alternative options, and he never indicated any concern for me as a guest during the conversation. In my mind, it is reinforcing a customer service orientation in one's staff that takes an establishment to the next level, and it costs the hotel nothing. Such a shame. I will also be communicating my disappointment with the organizer of the conference. It's clear from this website that I'm not alone in my experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We appreciate the feedback. Total guest satisfaction is our priority. Our staff understands the importance of making sure all requests are handled in a thoughtful and exemplary manner. We apologize if we didn't meet your expectations and we hope you will consider giving us another chance to show you how much we value your business. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
North Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My family and I stayed at Granlibakken for 5 days during the summer, while my wife was participitating in a conference there. We all had a wonderful time that far exceeded our expectations. The room we stayed in was very pleasant and comfortable, with a full kitchen--which we barely used because of the excellent meals provided by the resort. On the night they had Mexican food for dinner, they even had a mariachi band. If you like nature, there are ample trails for walking/jogging/biking. It's only about a 10 minute walk down to the river, where people are rafting. There's a treetop adventure course right behind the cottages. It's very cool, with zip lines and lots of challenging activities. There's plenty of other things to do also, swimming, tennis, fitness room.

The resort takes great care to provide an excellent dining experience. The buffet always had gluten-free and vegetarian options. The best thing of all was the friendly and attentive service staff. The only place I've stayed that has provided better service has been the Ritz-Carlton. We will definitely return to Granlibakken.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tim T
Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. We are so pleased that you had a wonderful experience that exceeded your expectations. We are honored you chose to stay with us and enjoyed the beauty all around our resort. Our delicious food and menu options are one way to show our guests how important they are to us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon and hope you have a chance to experience our Treetop Adventure park.
Munich, Germany
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I've stayed at the Granlibakken end of July this year. I did hike the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) and the hotel is located directly at the section which leads to Tahoe City. After camping a few days in the wilderness I was up to a nice shower and my clothes needed a wash, too. The hotel area is huge and they mostly do conferences so it was a bit of a surprise that a solo person showed up but I got a room and Wifi connection was high speed and excellent. I was seated at a seperate table for dinner and the former owner and manager of the hotel and his wife joined my table which lead to an interesting discussion how they build the whole complex, key customers etc. I also got introduced to the current manager, Ron Parson, who turned out being an avid hiker himself who did complete portions of the PCT, TRT etc. He immediately offered me a free of charge lift to the next trailhead the following day which I happily accepted. So my strong recommendation for any hiker doing the PCT (and looking for a shower even so it means a detour) or the TRT this is a very nice place to re-energize and the breakfast was excellent with loads of fresh fruit and Müsli. I was simply overwhelmed by the helpful attitude of Ron and the support he gave me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time review our resort. We are so pleased you felt welcomed after a long day of hiking. We feel our resort offers so many great ways to enjoy Tahoe and all it beauty. We will be sure to tell Ron how much you appreciated his taking the time to swap hiking tales with you, and sharing in your enthusiasm. We look forward to welcoming you again soon, and hope you will try our Treetop Adventure park the next time you visit.
Cottonwood, California
Reviewed July 30, 2012

When you book a room at a Lodge you expect it to be a Lodge. My room was so small and old and I was so disappointed. You get a bed and only two towels so if you want to wash your hair, too bad, only two towels for the two of you. (Most places give you 3) The bathroom was very small also and the 2 foot patio had a window from the adjoining room so we had no privacy. I went to the front desk to complain about my room seeing as how I booked it over three months ago but they said sorry, for an additional cost they could upgrade me. I said no thanks and that I would never stay there again. When I got home three days later there was a message on my home phone that they would have upgraded me for free. Why didn't they just call my room with that information? Didn't do me any good after I was home. Find another place to stay. The only good thing was the Sunday breakfast buffet. That wasn't bad. But one can get good food anywhere in Tahoe.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank carolynlakehous... R
Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. We apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We strive for total guest satisfaction and truly appreciate the feedback. We are working diligently to make our resort even more beautiful. We hope you will visit us again so we can show you how important your business is to us.
San Jose, California
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I booked the room at Granlibakken after searching a week long for a room at Lake Tahoe. It is a big resort and therefore it was not sold out, but their homepage was actually not very structured and I had a hard time even booking the room for 2 nights.
Anyhow, my husband and me had a pleasant stay, very quiet, but you cant see the lake from the resort, it is about 1 mile away from the beach.
What was extraordinary was the breakfast. everybody at the hotel seemed to love it.
Our room was old fashioned with an old TV and a window towards the parking lot, so we had to close the sheets for some privacy. The service was average.
Overall I would say I cannot recommend the place unless you don't care about your room. The price is pretty competitive for the area...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michaela M
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We appreciate your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve our guest experiences. Our delicious food is one way we can show our guests how much we value them. We hope you come visit us again and try out our Treetop Adventure park, you won't be disappointed.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 11, 2012

After holding two week-long leadership development work events at Granlibakken in the past, my spouse and I decided to hold a family reunion there over the 2012 July 4th holiday period. We all had an incredible time.

Pluses:
> We rented the 8-bedroom Forest Lodge at the edge of the property and it was absolutely perfect – 8 bedrooms (most with decks), huge great room, fully-stocked kitchen, BBQ, wrap-around deck, projector units & screens for movies/presentations, etc. And we had the whole gorgeous place to ourselves.
> Many people commented on how nice all the staff members were -- from housekeeping to the front desk to the food servers. All the folks we dealt with were very pleasant and customer service-oriented. This makes all the difference in the world to us – especially when managing a huge event!
> The beautiful surroundings – I’m not sure if it was the altitude or the beauty that literally took my breath away.
> A huge breakfast buffet is included in the room rate
> Onsite activities: heated swimming pool, hot tub, hiking trails, massage spa (fee), really cool treetop adventure center (ropes course on steroids! – the junior course is GREAT for kids) (fee), bike rentals (fee), ski/sledding hill in winter (fee)
> Nearby activities: golf, paddle-boarding and swimming in Lake Tahoe, rafting on the Truckee River, horseback riding, Squaw Valley & cable car tram, dining, Lake Tahoe dinner cruise, etc.
> July weather – not a cloud in sight. 75-degrees F every day, 45-degrees F every night.
> Convenient door-to-door shuttle to/from RNO airport ($40/person one-way)
> Free WI-FI
> AAA discount

Minuses:
> Some parts of the property seem a little dated. It’s not the Four Seasons – but it’s really not that expensive, either. Be sure to ask what kind of room you are getting – some are new, while others seem old. The multi-bedroom townhouses (with kitchen & fireplace) are great for small groups.
> Traffic on Highway 89 can be awful
> Lake Tahoe is not in sight (though it’s a short walk away)
> Property is basically on a hill. We rented a scooter from a Reno company for the one person in our party who has mobility problems.
> There is no onsite restaurant (however, a huge breakfast buffet is included with your room rate)

Bottom line: Beautiful surroundings, ultra-friendly staff, great value. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Some parts of the property seem a little dated. It’s not the Four Seasons – but it’s really not that...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KRIS-FM
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We are honored you chose to gather your family at our resort. We feel our staff is the heart and soul of our operation, so we are pleased you felt well taken care of. Your detailed experience and feedback helps us to identify our successes and where we can improve to make each guest feel like family. We hope you will take a moment on your next visit to relax and get pampered at our Lighthouse Spa. We hope to welcome you and your family again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tahoe City
Americas Best Value Inn-Tahoe City/Lake Tahoe
Cedar Glen Lodge
Cedar Glen Lodge
#1 of 8 in Tahoe Vista

Been to Granlibakken Tahoe? Share your experiences!