“Not very welcoming for a charming inn (and no internet)”

Mother Nature's Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tahoe City
Mother Nature's Inn
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Tahoe City
Oakland, California
“Not very welcoming for a charming inn (and no internet)”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

This place is in a great location (walkable to so much) and is cheap for a clean, nice sized room. However, there is no inn keeper at the Mother Nature Inn. It's more like a set of rooms behind a store and you are much on your own.

We arrived around 9 pm and had been given the wrong room (a single bed instead of two double beds). When I knocked at the door of the onsite manager (who lives there), the greeting made me feel like I was disturbing someone at their house. That feeling continued when the door was only slightly cracked open to talk to me. During the day, the staff in the store (which is part of the inn) was too busy with retail customers to really stop and talk to me when I came through.

The other big issue (made more difficult because of the above) was that there was no internet for rooms 3, 4, 5, 9, and 10 (when I made the reservation, I was told twice that internet was available in all the rooms). No one on site new what a wireless router was or where to find the password to the network that covered the rooms on the far end of the inn. At one point we were instructed that "this is the mountains and we don't always have internet." That may be true, but it had nothing to do with not having the password to your own network. We were told that we could sit in the unheated hallway during the night to use the internet (the router must have been in the store, which is on the other end of the inn). We were also told that maybe we shouldn't be doing work while on vacation. Thanks, that's nice, but I like to read the paper, check on my kids, make dinner reservations, and post trip pictures while I'm on vacation.

So, in summary, this is a fine, clean place to stay, but don't count on internet access and be okay feeling like there is no host to greet you.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank mindfulday

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Nicely positioned clean hotel with good amenities in room. Room was very clean and bed was comfortable. Our stay would have been more enjoyable except for the morons above us who proceeded to drag furniture around at all hours. Can't blame the management for that though. All in all a though good place to stay. Pet friendly

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed August 20, 2011

This is the second time I have stayed at Mother Nature's Inn with my husband. We were here last December as well (snow, and more snow then). We have found the rooms, beds, ammenities, location and overall experience very nice. This Inn by far has the cutest rooms around, all with refrigerators and coffee makers, it's really hard to beat. It is not a 5 star hotel, but we didn't pay that 5 star price or expect it to be one. It was extremely clean and well cared for. I love the fact that you really never need to get into your car once you're there. You can walk across the street to the beach and anywhere else you may want to go, We love this little place, and hope it will remain as quaint, quiet and charming as it is now. We can't wait to for our next visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anne b
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I'm writing this right now from room 8 of Mother Nature's Inn, because I couldn't wait to share about this little gem. If you've read all the other reviews, you know by now that it's a small two-story inn behind a crafts shop, and decorated right out of its inventory. There are wild-vine wreaths on the walls of my room, and a big ancient clock with roman numerals, and a small wooden canoe holding my soap and shampoo.

Nothing about this place is fancy, but the owner put her soul into it and it shows. It's immediately across the street from a public beach on the lake, and within a few-minute walk of most of the vicinity's food and drink. The inn is pet-friendly, but the pets stay in certain rooms; I did not bring a pet, (though I enjoyed sharing the company of the Australian Shepherd who is staying in a downstairs room right now), and my room smells immaculately clean.. The rooms have refrigerators, and there is a microwave to share down the hall. The beds are among the best I've experienced in a hotel, and they are sold at the store.

I have nothing bad to say about this place. To the person who complained that their car got dinged by a passing drive from the nearby golf course, they've now got a net protecting the parking lot from stray tee shots. This is the most beautiful way I could imagine to see a beautiful area, where you don't leave Tahoe just because you come inside, and you aren't stuck with a cookie-cutter room or cookie-cutter service. All at about half the price of the other area hotels I've seen advertised. We' love it so much weve decided to stay an extra day.

Room Tip: If you need a ground floor room let them know, stairs are the only way to the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PocketTraveller
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Positives: Quaint decor.
Negatives: The upkeep is poor. The bathroom had a broken glass shower door on which I cut my foot. The charming decor has a thick build up of dust..There is also a noisy arcade right next door. This not only created noise all night, but also flashing lights that beamed into my room. There is also a baseball diamond behind the inn where youth groups played games well into the evening. To add insult to injury, the supposed 'manager' kept forgetting that I was a guest and interrogated me every time she saw me on the premises.

I don't usually write reviews, but I think you should know what your getting into by staying here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cadence b
San Jose
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Had a great stay at Mother Nature's Inn. Quaint rooms in a great location in the heart of Tahoe City. You can walk to everything in town. Staff is very nice too.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2011

A very decently priced, beautifully located, friendly and clean hotel! I will definitely be back and would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 7 in Tahoe City
Pepper Tree Inn
Pepper Tree Inn
#5 of 7 in Tahoe City

Been to Mother Nature's Inn? Share your experiences!