“Lazy day on the Truckee!”

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We raft down the Truckee about once a year with different groups of visitors. This year my 14 year old nephew was not excited about going and had almost convinced my sister to stay home with him. After our wonderful day on the river, he was very glad he'd come along. While traffic and congestion can define Tahoe City during this time of year, the Truckee River Rafting Company makes the experience of parking and getting on the river as easy as it possibly can be. Drive up to the lot, unload your passengers and the driver is immediately informed of where to park in an extended lot if needed, complete with a van ride back. If you've made your reservations on line and printed out the paperwork and filled it out in advance (you need all rafters individual signatures) you also save time. Additionally make sure your entire group is together (yes wait for the driver to return) before checking in since each rafter will be given a wrist band to wear too. You will just cause other people behind you to have to wait longer if your group isn't together and the check in desk people have to deal with who has/does not have a wrist band yet from your party. Two "real" bathrooms mean that the girls in your party are happy since they don't need to use an outhouse or gas station bathroom right at the start. The sundry store sell some fun and sun items if you've forgotten anything and you can even rent a ice chest for the raft. When your party is ready to go they pull up a raft(s) for you and off you go. The ride down the river allows for plenty of lazing around, water fights, or stopping to picnic. We always pack simple lunches and use Glad containers to keep sandwiches dry. Once you are done, it's back on one of the buses who quickly take you back to where you started. And, the photos they take of your party are usually great! It's a must do at least once during the Truckee summer!

All reviews
in 10 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 11 reviews

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife does not like water, still I convinced her to go rafting on our Tahoe vacation. Everything was great - the operation was smoothly run, they set you up, get you going and bring you back with no fuss and virtually no waiting. The float itself was the perfect mix of relaxing and stimulating. There where plenty of people on the river, but we never felt crowded. We went straight through in just under 2 hours, but if you want to stop and swim or have a snack there is no rush. A great way to spend part of your day.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have been doing business with Truckee River Rafting with Mountain Air Sports (yellow oars) for years. This year, however, due to an error in dialing my niece called their competitor next door which we didn't know until we had already parked our car in Truckee River Rafting with Mountain Air Sports parking lot. This did not upset the staff at all. I was willing to move our car and they did not even consider it. I wanted to cancel with the "other" company but the staff told me they had a no cancellation policy within 24 hours and they didn't want me to lose $325.00. In the past years, when a member of our party was unable to come, we were NEVER CHARGED, not so with the orange oars. I have another review regarding their competitors (orange oars) and my experience with them. Upon our return, I went to Truckee River Rafting with Mountain Air Sports and had them enter their phone number into my cell phone so that no mistake will take place in the future. They even gave us a shuttle ride back to our cars at the end of the day. Never in all the years doing business with Truckee River Rafting with Mountain Air Sports did we ever ride their buses with standing people in the aisle. They are concerned for our adventure, customer relations, and our safety. We will continue to be loyal customers because of their care and concern for us.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have been brining my family to Tahoe City for summers for several years now. We bring our boat along and spend the majority of our time on the lake. Just the same, every year we take a day off from boating to go rafting on the Truckee River with Mountain Air Sports. We bring the whole family, and have been doing it since my son was only a year old. This is an activity that anybody can participate in, regardless of ability. The children seem to have as much fun as the grown adults. The trip itself takes a few hours, and finishes up at the River Ranch, which is a great place to grab a beer and a casual bite before you hop on the bus back up to the parking lot.

The operation itself is efficient, you are briefed on everything regarding safety and rules of the river. We have never had to wait more than a minute or two to get outfitted with your raft, or picked up by the bus.