“0 out of 10 for Service”
Review of Pepper Tree Inn

Pepper Tree Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Tahoe City
Reviewed April 1, 2005

We experienced the worst service from ever in a hotel - starting with the reservation the man was rude and unhelpful on the phone. On arriving at the hotel his attitude hadn't changed - more of those pesky guests wanting to check-in again. However the room was very nice - obviously refurbished. Beds comfortable and nice decor. Only issue was with the heater - only had one setting - LOUD. Fortunately the rooms were warm enough without it. Bring your own powder for the guest laundry. When we enquired, we were rudely referred to the laundromat down the road. Surely not too much to offer laundry powder for sale? You can even get those dispensers so the staff don't have to be "bothered" with pesky guests asking for it.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank Christo99

Reviewed July 23, 2004

I was given such a hard by the person in reservations that I cancelled at the risk of ruining my whole vacation. I had merely called to confirm my reservation as appearently you do not get a confirmation # from their website. The young man was extremely rude and unaccommodating. Even telling me, when I had asked about the view from my room "Nobody sits in their room and stares at the lake!" He was really put out when I suggested a room change after he told me my room was on the 4th floor! By the way, I had chosen their priciest room (It is implied that these would be on the 7th floor) in hopes that I would get something better than average. He was so cranky and rude that I told him not to bother with changing the room after all and then he hung up on me! I thought to call and check after reading several very bad reviews of this hotel. I think that my experience on the telephone is a good indication of how badly people are treated by the desk clerks there! I'm glad that I wised up

8  Thank newstoneage
Reviewed July 21, 2004

Ideal location...right across the street from the lake. However, rooms were a bit worn. Found out the hardway that local calls are charged after 30 minutes (we had our laptop and needed to connect to intenet). When I asked the manager he said there should be something in the room exlaining the policy. There wasn't and that is the first thing I look for when going to hotels. There was no AC and while it was cool in the evening you had to keep the room window open (fine) and the bathroom window open to get a cross breeze. The bathroom did not have a screen and thus bugs galore. There are lots of other places we will stay next time we come to Tahoe.

4  Thank TravelGirl33
Reviewed July 11, 2004

We were incredibly disappointed with the quality of this hotel. The building is run down, the outside is rundown, the room was very small, sheets barely fit the bed, there was no tub-just a small shower in a very small bathroom with small towels. There was no air conditioning, which would not be a problem if you could open the windows and still be secure, but if you open the window anyone walking down the walkway could get into your room - not to mention you would listen to traffic noise all night. The traffic noise in Tahoe City is huge and there was not even a fan to provide "white noise." Nice view of lake (we were in tower) but, again, you have to sit on the common walkway to appreciate it. Nothing "cute" or nice about this hotel to make it worth the money. You would expect to get this sort of room at Motel 6 but not at the rates this place charges.

• Stayed: September 2004
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed July 6, 2004

Upon arrival, the outside of the hotel didn't impress us too much. However, we were pretty impressed by the quality of the rooms and the view. The rooms don't dazzle you with fancy chandeliers or anything. But they are exactly what we were looking for. Clean, cozy, quiet, and as my girlfriend put it.... "really cute." Not to mention the jacuzzi tub was really nice. We were in one of the tower rooms, so the view was really nice too. We booked through Expedia ($96 a night, I think) and didn't have any problems with the front desk staff. I must admit, they weren't the friendliest or most talkative of people, but they weren't rude either.

We agreed we would love to stay here again. Pretty good deal we think.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cheltenham, England
Reviewed June 25, 2004

Unlike the last review we came across on here, we booked the room through the hotels website so didn't encounter any of the problems mentioned there.

We stayed mid may 04 for two nights and had a newly refurbished tower room with great views of the lake. The room was pretty large and had a very comfortable bed along with a fridge, microwave etc... The location is also pretty good if you are after a quiet time away from the hustle of South Tahoe. All in all, well worth the money.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 17, 2004

PLEASE BEWARE!!! This hotel treats guests like trespassers. They tried as hard as possible to ruin our anniversary trip last month. We have never been treated this rudely by anyone at anytime in the hospitality industry. If you have pre-paid reservations through Expedia or Travelocity (like we did) they will intentionally give you the worst possible room regardless of what was advertised on the website and then try to blame the internet company. They told me my only solution was to pay again for the room I wanted, but at twice the price, and then try to get my money back from the internet company later.By everything they said and did, it was obvious that could care less about their guest and they only wanted my money. Stay far away from this place because they have mastered the art of ripping people off!!!

4  Thank USC-Travel
#11 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Tamarack Lodge
Tamarack Lodge
#4 of 7 in Tahoe City

Been to Pepper Tree Inn? Share your experiences!