“Great Weekend Get-Away”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tahoe City
San Francisco, California
“Great Weekend Get-Away”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was a great spot to spend a long weekend. The rooms are really great and the restaurant is awesome. There are a lot of hikes and water activities steps away from the hotel. They offer complementary breakfast which is a great spread for all taste buds.

Good crowd at the bar and amazing hotel staff! Very accommodating to their guests and outgoing. If you are going during the summer, make sure to bring your own beach chairs, umbrella and towels. We will certainly visit Sunnyside again during the summer months.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laura l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The restaurant: I had a great dinner here. Our waitress was busy - she forgot our drink orders twice - but I appreciated that she stopped by often and ensured we were enjoying our meal. The food is absolutely wonderful. (Note: The only portion of the meal I wasn't crazy about was the Ahi Tuna "Fish and Chips." The Ahi was still partly frozen!) Everything else about the meal and the service was fantastic.

The room: We had a partial view of the lake, which was beautiful. The wine selection in the room is fun. Other than that, the accommodations are average but comfortable. It's not the least bit pretentious, and it was the perfect place to put my feet up for some much needed relaxation.

The staff: I paid for my room with a debit card, and on my online statement it appeared I'd been charged twice. Apparently this sometimes happens. The staff was very quick to explain what had happened, and assured me they had only run my card once. I appreciated their efforts (a lot of back and forth on the phone) to make sure I hadn't been overcharged.

Overall: Nice location, great restaurant, and excellent staff. With a few upgrades to their rooms (e.g. newer furniture and better pillows), they could easily become a hotel of choice in Tahoe. I have stayed here twice now, and I hope to be back soon!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReviewerD
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Normally we stay slopeside in ski in/out lodgings with a balcony on the slope, however this time some friends were staying here so we stayed here too. The cabin was sizeable and very comfortable. The restaurant is terrfic with attentive staff and mouthwatering dishes. The wines matched perfectly and the place is clearly a haunt for the local estate owners. Take note that that roadworks to Tecoma have just finished so the road is fabulous to places like the beach and the Vikingshome estate, Emerald Bay (it's like Norway!) and the Heavenly/Stateline Nevada area. Sunnyside is very close to Homewood Ski Area which really really really is ideal for all levels of skiers and it is huge. Homewood is nmuch bigger than it looks from the road because most of the runs are over the ridge 'up top'. Sunnyside is also maybe 10 minutes drive from the awesome Alpine Meadows Ski Area (next to the famous Squaw Valley). Also Sunnyside is close enough to Tahoe City with its shops and earteries and ecletic art places and laid back 'western town meets arts' feel. Sunnyside is well worth visiting.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank velkytatry
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had planned a vacation to California and had reservations for Yosemite during the first week of Oct 2013. The day before we were supposed to arrive,Yosemite was closed because of the gov't shut down. We had to scramble to find an alternate spot for our vacation at the last minute. (We were traveling from Michigan).

We saw Sunnside on-line and they had rooms,,, so we booked. We had never been to Lake Tahoe before so we didn't know what to expect.

WE WERE THRILLED WITH THE SERVICE AND EXPERIENCE AT SUNNYSIDE!

The views were spectacular, the rooms were cozy (with fire places) and clean, the entire staff was kind and helpful and the food was fabulous. I would recommend this lodge to anyone..... we had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: We stayed in a court yard room as well as one with a lake front view. Both were very nice and both...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank First L
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at the Sunnyside Lodge and had a room over restaurant with amazing views of Lake Tahoe. We ate in both the main restaurant and at the bar and the food was very good. On the Thursday evening the bar was packed with both locals and residents all watching a football game on TV. Wonderful atmosphere and very American.

What is a bit odd was breakfast which is served in an area over reception. The food was OK but there are only two tables and one morning there was not enough rood for everyone so some ate on their laps whilst sitting on a sofa. I must mention that this was a small issue and you could take breakfast to your room on a tray,

The only real complaint I had was that the walls between rooms are very thin. I could hear every word from the laddies sharing a room next door!

I would still recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a room overlooking the lake as the garden rooms overlook a car park
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Sunnyside has everything for a perfect Tahoe experience: awesome views; location on the shore; gorgeous historic woodsy lodge; great recreational and creature comfort amenities; delicious food in two great restaurants; easy access to hiking, cycling, skiing, boating, anything you want to do in Tahoe, but still a small town friendly feel.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Kegamagal
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is a fun place to eat, because it it right on the beautiful beach. We are locals and out of town friends always enjoy going here. The food is generally pretty good, but certainly not spectacular, and a bit over priced. Nevertheless, we enjoy going here.

I have a couple of gripes, however, and feel like I need to point this out. I can't remember a time in recent visits when there weren't whole sections of tables with no people sitting at them, and yet, people were standing around forever waiting for a table to clear in an other section. I think this kind of service is not in the spirit of hospitality. They are happy to sell you drinks while you stand around, which i think is rude instead of thoughtful considering there are empty tables where people could sit.

And by the way, speaking of drinks, don't have a mojito, because the bartender has no clue how to make one. I had forgotten that fact, even though my husband mentioned it to me that they were terrible. Honestly, they should just tell people they don't make them if they are ordered, because they don't make them!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 7 in Tahoe City
Cottage Inn
Cottage Inn
#1 of 5 in Tahoe City

Been to Sunnyside Restaurant and Lodge? Share your experiences!