“Disappointing interiors” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Tahoe City B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Disappointing interiors”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

Maybe it was because we had just come from a palatial room in Reno that cost less, but we were not happy with the room --it was very small and shabby & the bathroom barely big enough to turn around in. Nice location near the lake and pretty setting outside, but I've been selecting B&B's for about 8 years now and this is the first one that disappointed me.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Eclectica777

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Salinas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2009

From check-in it was the perfect week. To start with the location is ideal, next to the lake, and close enough to all the amenities of town without to much hubbub. Our room was the enchanted cottage. The room was very clean (important to us), spacious and quiet. We loved the fireplace at night while the thunder and lightening boomed outside, it was very cozy. The staff, if you can call them that felt more like old friends. Breakfast each morning was something yummy, such as stuffed French toast, or eggs Benedict. We look forward to our return trip.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kelleyhome
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

We have stayed at the Cottage Inn many times and love it. Each cottage has it's own theme and is decorated with its theme in mind - the Tahoe Tepee, The Hunter's Hideout, the Cozy Corner, Bird's Nest, the Cowboy Romance and so forth. After a day's skiing (Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows are only 15 minutes away) it's so nice to come back to a spotlessly clean room with a fireplace. It's located just minutes from Tahoe City for restaurants, shopping, river rafting (in the Summer), and has access to the beach near Sunnyside for picnics, boating and water skiing. The Sunnyside bar/restaurant is just a short walk and is always hoppin'.

The lobby has a wood burning fireplace, a perpetually challenging jigsaw puzzle, videos you can take to your room, menus of the local restaurants, discount lift tickets, and a friendly and knowledgable staff. The breakfast room is also in this building. Every morning a delicious hot breakfast is served. Freshly baked cookies are available in the afternoon.

The owners are hands-on, friendly, and go out of their way to make each guest's stay enjoyable. When we visit Lake Tahoe, we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luv_Squaw
Ventura
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

We have been staying at the Cottage Inn for quite a few years now and every visit is just as good if not better than the last. We go to Tahoe to ski and visit friends. The staff is friendly and helpful. Everything from the rooms to the food to the activities is just perfect when we stay here.

I too, cannot believe anyone would have a bad experience here either unless they were arriving in a bad mood to begin with. The atmosphere of Tahoe alone just makes us smile. I have been around a few times when guests have had to check-out early and give up a nights stay only to NOT have to pay for it in the end because the staff works really hard to re-book it. We have had this happen to us once, and the staff re-booked our room and refunded us our nights stay immediately. We also understand the policies too.

The Cottage Inn is the best and we will never stay anywhere else as long as it is still around. The owner does an amazing job at decorating and keeping the atmosphere fun, relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diesel21
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2009

I have been a regular visitor to the Cottage Inn for the past several years. My wife and I have always had great experiences here and have some of our best memories of our lives. We make it a point to come here both in the winter and summer.

On every trip there we have thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and the employees. The owners, Susi and Hansi are exceptionally accommodating and have always gone out of their way to assist us. I am a coffee drinker and like my coffee first thing in the morning. I mentioned this to Susi and since I was not staying in a room with a coffee pot she actually arranged to have a thermos delivered to our room the night before so I could have it first thing in the morning (yes it was still hot!)

I cannot think of any other establishment that would do this.

As far as the rooms, we have stayed in several different rooms and never had a bad experience. I cannot imagine how anyone would complain of anything at the Cottage Inn.

Each room has a unique theme and I won't divulge my favorite room since I don't want everyone to try it so it's not available when my wife and I return this summer.

The happy hour and socialization time is our favorite. We have met many different and interesting people here and all have told us how much they like the place. We have even exchanged contact information with them and they all tell how they will return and recommend the Cottage Inn to friends.

The employees are all friendly and go out of their way to assist you. They recommend restaurants, the cheapest rental equipment and even tell you the best hiking and skiing deals. We have even socialized with some of them when they are off work.

I would highly recommend the Cottage Inn and I have even referred the Cottage Inn to friends and clients in Austin

• Liked — Uniqueness and friendly owners/staff
  • Disliked — Liked it all
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AustinPIMAN
Torrance
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

My wife's dream was to get married on New Year's Eve at Lake Tahoe. I spent 8 hours on the internet reviewing locations for a 3 day visit. It was hard to find any place with a view that got reviews that were generally positive. Cottage Inn has very good reviews but wanted a 4 day minimum stay @ $285.00 a night.

I booked it as the pictures looked very charming and we planned on getting married in our room, The Bird's Nest. One month before we left, my credit card was charged for the full stay and although it is listed in AAA, without any discount.

Our room looked nice and had a loft where the bed was. The main floor was an open room, seperated by a flow through fireplace which supplied the heat. On one side of the fireplace was a sitting area and on the other was a jazucci tub for 2. It looked promising.

Neither my wife nor I ski so we were looking at spending a lot of time in the room but being newlyweds, that was fine.

In the sitting room, the furniture was a 4' love seat, small table and a chair. All of these were made of wicker! Ever sit very long in wicker? I had marks on my back that looked like I had just been released from some 4th world prison. That was the only place to sit to watch the TV. Oh yes, the TV. How about a 13" screen?

OK, I'll cut it short and just list the rest as you can see what I thought by now. No heat in the bathroom. Ever go to the bathroom at 3 AM when it's freezing? Small shower, no water pressure (like pouring a cup of water on yourself). The only closet had no light in it and was so dark you couldn't see into it. The upstairs floor creaked with EVERY movement as did the bed. Remember, we were newlyweds. Our neighbors yelled at us more than once because of the noisey floor/bed. The bed was so bad, we both had back aches every day (the place was full so no other room was possible). There wan't any dresser so for 3 days, you had to live out of your suitcase. The stairwell lights could only be turned on/off from downstairs, a real safety hazard or else we had to sleep with the lights on and in our eyes. There were 2, 5" inch diameter holes in the carpet in the front room.

I could go on but you get the point. We left a day early and gave up one night's money just to get back home.

The quality control was terrible and you would think that for $300.00 a night one might only have to indure one or two of these issues. We both have travelled extensively and have never had such similar problems, especially for the price.

We did encounter staff that was less than helpfull as stated in some reviews but the owners were pleasant, just not able to help. They did offer to give us a one night free stay in the future. I'd rather go back to that wicker prison.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ArtyTorrance
san jose, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2008

I really liked the looks and reviews of cottage inn and was hoping to book a cottage suite for 2 days in Thanksgiving. I was put off by the booking experience. We were 3 people trying to stay in one room. The lady who answered did not seem to really care to see if there were ways in which we could be accomodated. Apparently they will not allow 3 people to stay in one suite. I wish this was mentioned much more clearly in their web page (it is vaguely mentioned). I asked if it was just their policy or if it was something they were recommending us not to do for our convenience. She made some joke about how it was impossible for 3 people to sleep on a queen bed and how their suites will just not accommodate 3 people. I said we could adjust and perhaps bring our own portable bed for the extra person. She seemed to laugh at this. On the whole, we were really looking forward to staying here but were put off by the owners way of talking and their policies.

Stayed November 2008
#1 of 8 in Tahoe Vista
Basecamp Tahoe City
Basecamp Tahoe City
#1 of 7 in Tahoe City

Been to Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!