“All skiing, no fancy.”
Review of Ski Homewood

Ski Homewood
Ranked #7 of 38 things to do in Tahoe City
More attraction details
Owner description: A small ski resort located in the Sierras.
Dublin, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“All skiing, no fancy.”
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Skied here mid- week in the midst of a multiple-week snow drought, but the groomers had done great work keeping most trails in good shape. Good varied terrain for intermediate and better skills.
The views onto Lake Tahoe can stop you in your tracks.
There is only one high speed lift, so you may get in fewer runs but then again there were many times during the day when I was the only person on the trail. Felt like I had the place almost to myself.
Facilities are basic - this is a day area and a pretty darned good one.

sydneyki
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Lakefront view, Great Skiing, Excellent Kids Ski Instructors/Program, Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed December 25, 2009

The resort opened and we were one of the first ones to arrive.

It took 65 minutes to buy an adult ticket.

Another 30 minutes to rent equipment.

The lesson didn't start until an hour later than it was supposed to.

The untrained, self-speaking, "customer service" representative at the kids ski school charged my best friend's ski lesson for his 5 year old 3X...that's $108 THREE TIMES. This transaction took 45 minutes. The process of getting his money back...days. Still ongoing.

As for the kids with me, I was charged 2x...that's $108 TWO TIMES. I thought this other "customer service" representative knew what she was doing...NOT! This also took 45 minutes. The process of getting our money back...days. Still ongoing.

Both of us went online ofcourse to book the kids in advance at their Homewood Store website as it recommends parents/guardians to do. I RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T DO THIS! JUST LINE UP AND PAY WENT YOU GET THERE...IN CASH!!!

This was my first experience as an Adult over 35 with a ski resort and the front-end experience was highway robbery! And when I called the first time to talk to someone about this at the guest services phone #, I got sarcasm and "Since were closing now, I'll deal with this tomorrow." What the [--]! It's just your money we're stealing two days before Christmas! Absolutely no urgency, empathy or responsibility at the initial stage of this mess.

Our adult ski instructor let us go to have our one-hour lunch break and return at 12:45PM. So we decided to eat at the north lodge's second floor restaurant and ordered our food around 12:15PM. We didn't get our food until 1:05PM; including the rest of the other people in our ski group. By the time 2PM rolled around, we had to quit in advance so that we can be at the south lodge to pick up the kids...just in case something else was running late.

As far as the ski instructors and assistants at the kids ski school goes, they were fantastic. AWESOME GROUP OF PEOPLE. THE SHINING LIGHT AT THIS RESORT!

Our adult ski instructor was quite friendly and went out of his way to meet all of our individual needs for the adult beginning lessons.

The equipment rental manager and the young lady at the boots rental desk that we encountered were fantastic people. Terrific customer service skills...very proficient at their jobs.

I was so revved up and very much looking forward to having a memorable experience with Homewood Mountain Resort ( I convinced my family and friends to go here instead of Sierra or Heavenly or Kirkwood...you get the drift?!) If I had the foresight that WE WOULD ALL have this kind of experience ON OUR CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY, I would not have booked Homewood. They robbed the adults of this trip of having a fun, memorable and happy holiday.

No matter how great the snow is, or some of the people that work there, if you're late all the time, don't train the people that make that first impression and steal money from your customers (because we didn't authorize you take that money!!!)...The likelihood that they will come back to your place of business is slim to none...They will not recommend you as a ski resort that anyone with a credit card should go to...They will tell people who have made plans on their Christmas holiday to make sureTHAT THEY HAVE NO OTHER PLANS when they ski with your resort so that you have complete control of their time and energy because of all the crap they now have to deal with due to your inability to manage time and your customers money...They will not give you a completely happy, positive review!

If you do use your credit card, immediately check your bank online for the next few days and compare what they charged you via receipt...KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!...and what is being charged at the bank and to HOW MANY TIMES your being charged! Not a good feeling when you get home after a long day skiing... :(

I sincerely hope that they get it right...for the kids sake.

The One-Star Rating was for doing their jobs above and beyond expectation in reference to the cool kids ski instructors with our children.

Another positive comment would be that the mountain resort has a terrific view of the lake since it's right next to it...wonderful snow.

P.S. It totally sucks that I have to write most negatively about this resort, but this was my family's and friends experience with Homewood...Be Forewarned.

1 Thank sydneyki
Sparta, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The hidden gem of Lake Tahoe.”
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Homewood is the wonderful little secret ski/snowboard resort on the west shore of Lake Tahoe. The views are amazing! Most of the trails have awesome views of the lake and on some it looks as though you are going to ski into the lake. Homewood isn't one of the bigger named resorts so it is relatively unknown to nonlocals and is uncrowded during the week. There is more to the mountain than you can see from the road. Quite a bit more. There are plenty of trails to explore without doing the same ones over and over. Unless you find a favorite of course. It is mostly intermediate with some expert and beginner. The price for a lift ticket Monday -Thursday is less than half of the bigger named resorts. The only major downside which keeps me from giving this an excellent rating would be the Ellis chairlift which is extremely slow. Instead take the Homewood Express high speed chair. It takes you to the top near where Ellis gets off in a lot less time. They plan to do some major renovations to this resort and most likely the slower lifts will be updated. Hopefully they don't spoil the place by overbuilding and ruining the charm. Maybe with the economy the way it is they will scale back the Big plans they have for the place. A little welcome tweaking here and there would be fine if they don't go too overboard.

Peotone, Illinois
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Gorgeous views of Lake Tahoe while skiing”
Reviewed January 8, 2007

Don't miss skiing here at least one day! Pick a clear day and get ready for the best views while skiing of Lake Tahoe. This is more of a locals ski hill but still has decent terrain and variety(1200 acres). Lunch facilities are minimal but ok. 4 slow lifts but the views of the lake make up for all the small shortcomings. Spend one day of your vacation here. You will not be disappointed.

3 Thank empjm