“Balcony Lunch Is A Delight”
Review of Hotel Sutter

Hotel Sutter
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Sutter Creek
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had lunch on the balcony of the Hotel Sutter today and it was a lovely experience. Service was good, food was good, and we enjoyed watching the rhythm of Sutter Creek from our upstairs, outdoor setting. We had two children in our group and they were nicely accommodated with kid-friendly food. I'm not sure what others in our party had to eat, but my husband had a house salad - which was nice and fresh; and we shared a Reuben sandwich with fries, which were very good. I'm not sure what the others in our party had, but they all seemed happy. We are local and looking forward to going back - especially to the balcony!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Sutter for Winefest 2013 on Saturday, Nov. 9th. The hotel was a different story (written in a different review for "American Exchange Hotel) as the hotel name had not been updated. The restaurant was very noisy, as the dining room had 1800's acoustics and was crowded. The busser immediately put a basket of warm walnut and French breads down. We ordered drinks, and 10 minutes later ordered our dinners. The dinners arrived first :(While service was friendly, our server seemed overwhelmed, and the manager zoomed back and forth across the dining floor barking orders. The food arrived, and my wife had a seafood pasta dish that was fresh and flavorful. It had fish and shellfish served over a nicely (not perfectly) cooked bed of tagliatelle. I had a fillet mignon, which was perfectly cooked, and topped with caramelized onions and a nice demi glace, and served with crunchy fresh vegetables and mashed potatoes. I would recommend this restaurant to friends, but given other highly recommended places (E.G. J&D's Steakhouse) I would go elsewhere first. Note: I grew up in Sutter Creek, and was deeply saddened to see the Sutter Creek Palace sitting vacant. Perhaps the (sorta) new 49 bypass has taken its toll.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We traveled up from Reno on a last minute whim. We were recommended to try the wine walk at Sutter Creek. We had no reservations and tried this hotel. Newly renovated we heard. Our room was on the third floor, which was very clean and cozy. We had a great experience and the staff was friendly and very accommodating. Old time charm. We will be back!!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We just attended the annual Wine Fest in Sutter Creek for the first time. We tried to find a place to eat and every where was busy. We walked into Hotel Sutter and it was swamped yet we were greeted by such delightful people laughing and smiling in the middle of this busy event. The staff was cheerful service excellent and food was great. We then proceeded to their new lounge that had jazz music and was packed and delightful. Only reason they didn't get 5 stars was they really needed a cocktail waitress as getting a drink and service was slow. But they are new and with their great attitud I have high hopes, we will be back.

1  Thank Kittie B
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We came out to Hotel Sutter from the Bay Area on the evening they unveiled their new full-service bar "The Cellar" (previously known as the Annex under the previous owners). The new owners are, piece by piece, room by room, restoring this lovely historical treasure, peeling back the decades of bad decorative decisions, to reveal its original beauty--caring for it, polishing it, and protecting it. They are bringing in charming ornamental elements to accompany the rustic backdrop of history (comfy designer chairs and settees set against the newly revealed brick walls of The Cellar, for example). The menu is new and under the direction of a professional chef that they brought over from the Bay Area. Drink and dinner menu items they are offering are innovative and exciting. While the food was quite lovely, we did have to wait a long time for it to arrive. Growing pains of an operation in transition, I assume. We will be back and we are extremely excited to see this treasure fully realized under the stewardship of the new owners!