“Adequate, but not one of our most enjoyable Best Western stays.”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Susanville
The Dalles, OR
“Adequate, but not one of our most enjoyable Best Western stays.”
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We stayed at the Best Western Trailside Inn in Susanville only for a short overnight, as a stop on a longer trip. It was adequate for a one night stay, but gave more of a feel of a cheaper hotel, such as a Motel 6 or Super 8 than one of our usual Best Western stays.

The room size was adequate, but oddly arranged, with the closet being a rod out in the open, with one end of the rod extending over the sink counter and the other end extending over the small refrigerator and microwave. As a result, I wouldn't plan on hanging up much of anything, particularly coats. The bathroom was quite small without its own sink, and with its light switch outside of the room (always irritating). Immediately outside of the bathroom was a long double sink counter.

There was little noise from adjoining rooms or outside of the door (the room doors exit straight to the outdoors), but it appeared hotel guests were scarce that night. However, the noise from items inside the room was crazy - the heater fan, even when set on low was incredibly loud, and the refrigerator noise ran much of the night.

The beds had some of the thickest and most uncomfortable pillows I've ever used. They were like pillows on steroids, so fat that they held your neck at an uncomfortable angle. That combined with the noise contributed to a poor night's sleep.

The breakfast food was reasonable for a continental breakfast, but the breakfast room itself was miniscule. Crammed into the room was a longer counter, a shorter counter, trash can, and a full-size refrigerator, along with two small tables and four chairs total. For our family of five, we asked for an additional chair, which filled the room to breaking point, and resulted in some guests that came in after us without any seating options.

All in all, adequate for an overnight stay at an okay price, but not what I've come to expect from a Best Western.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
DEllena, Owner at Best Western Trailside Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Thank you for your comments, they are helpful to us and we do take them to heart. We have heard the comment regarding the breakfast room's small size in past surveys. I am happy to report that if you choose to stay again you will see our newly renovated breakfast room which has more than doubled in size and was completed this year. We have also added a Yoga Studio this year (free classes offered to guests daily) and we are renovating many of our rooms as well which address your other concerns such as improvements to closets, finer linens and upgrades in our guest bath areas. We hope you return and visit us again. Thank you for your stay and safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We attended a family wedding in Susanville and stayed here for 4 days. We had upgrade rooms with BW rewards which were superb. On of our family is 88 years old and not very agile, the staff were very helpful helped getting her settled and taking care of her. Very quiet rooms, the entire family (3 rooms) together, and great breakfasts - what more could you ask?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Pearl298
Best Western T, Manager at Best Western Trailside Inn, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 530-257-4123.

Rakesh Mehta
Guest Services Manager
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Arrived late in the evening and found the desk clerk friendly and helpful. No rooms with 2 beds were available, but the desk clerk was happy to let us take a look at a room with a king bed in it before we registered. The room was a comfortable size with a 32" flat screen TV, small microwave oven and fridge, in-room coffee, a table and 2 chairs, and delightful decor. The bathroom was a nice size, and the combo bath and shower were immaculate. In fact, everything in our room was clean....and even smelled clean!
The price for one night, walk-in, was $80, which I felt was well-worth it.
Right across the parking lot from the hotel is a Black Bear family restaurant. It was 9:50 pm when we go to their front door, but despite the fact that all the other patrons had already gone and the staff was in the process of cleaning to close for the night, they ushered us in and served us our dinners with tremendous grace.
We would definitely recommend this Best Western. There was nothing about our experience that one could term "bad" or "disappointing". Clean, everything in good functioning order, friendly service, and a reasonable price!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
La Pine, OR
Reviewed May 16, 2010

This is a very old motel which reflects in everything. It is your typical older motel with all entrances outside. There seemed to be several people staying there for extended stays so lots of people knew each other so there was a certain amount of noise outside the room. We also heard the people in the room above us. The only really good thing is that the Black Bear restaurant is right there by the motel (lots of good food). They did give us a lower rate which was appreciated. It is OK for an overnight stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are currently in a state of significant renovation with many upgrades to our guest rooms and we have added amenities which we hope will enhance your stay such as a larger breakfast room, new yoga studio, separate new fitness room, and the Black Bear Restaurant is undergoing a total renovation.

You mentioned you thought some guests were long term stays, to clarify we are not an extended stay property. Our guest typically stay from anywhere from one night to two weeks. Thank you for your comments, we are listening.
Los Altos, CA
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed at the Trailside in for one night this past weekend; I was in town for the Bizz Johnson Trail Marathon. The hotel was fully booked over the weekend, as are most of the hotel/motels in town.

I found the hotel clean and comfortable; the front desk staff cheerful and accomodating; and the hotel's flexibility in helping out all the runners was great. They had their continental breakfast opened earlier than usual on race morning, and for those of us that had to check out the same day, they kept two rooms on reserve that afternoon after the run was done: one for the men to take showers, and the other for the women. So those of use that checked out and weren't staying another night, we were welcome to come back and freshen up before we departed the area. Very thoughtful.

Also, the previous evening I had a problem with the in-room television...and they had somebody available at 9 PM at night to help me fix the problem. We needed a new coaxial cable from the wall to the television, and they were able to find a replacement for me at that late hour.

The Black Bear Cafe is a short walk away, literally 50 feet or so from the front lobby.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Mill Valley, California
Reviewed October 9, 2009

A great value, with a good size room. Flat screen TV, which is always nice, and free wifi. The room was big enough that we were able to put an air mattress on the floor beside the bed for a third person. Overall it is what you would expect and hope for from a Best Western.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
California
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I checked into this hotel with my 2 children. We needed a place to stop before heading back home. At about 10 pm there was a knock on the door. A woman said that she was there to meet someone with my name (I have a very common name). She realized that she did not know me then said the front desk told her what room I was in. What??!!?? That should have never happened. About an hour later the front desk called me and asked if I was in town visiting anyone from the prison. I said I wasn't and she said...'hmmm that is so weird.." and hung up. Needless to say I checked the locks and slept with my cell phone next to me. I did not feel safe at all. I have since emailed Best Western about this experience and never heard back. Obviously, this isn't a huge concern of theirs. I won't be back.

• Stayed August 2009
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 530-257-4123.

Rakesh Mehta