“12 home brewed beers to sample!”

Lassen Ale Works at the Pioneer Saloon
Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Susanville
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Lassen Ale Works at the Pioneer Saloon in Uptown Susanville is NE California's only brewpub. The historic Pioneer Mercantile building we occupy has been home to a saloon for over 150 years--look for the large vintage neon Pioneer sign on the south side of Main Street. We offer a small but eclectic menu of house-made dishes including fish and chips, lamb stew, hamburgers and fresh salads. Our ales are made on site and include light and dark ales from the pale, crisp Bizz Johnson Blonde to the rip snorting Pioneer Porter. We also have a full bar, specialty cocktails, wines by the glass and a selection of single malt scotch. Take a seat at our 36-foot-long bar and admire the wall of local ranch brands above the bar back. Or watch the brewer at work in the back room and play pool beneath the historic mural that celebrates Susanville's logging and ranching roots.
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

This is a great place to drink beer and eat hearty food. We stopped for one night in Susanville and needed somewhere to eat. We didn't fancy Chinese food so opted for LAW. We were not disappointed. We tried the 12 samples. The beers are very good (if not a little over hoppy) and the food was great. We also sampled the Bloody Mary made with the porter and vodka, this was excellent!
The place has a good atmosphere and the service was efficient. We tried the cheesy fries to start and they were very tasty and cheesy. A good size portion for sharing. The main course arrived too early. Some mistake by the chef apparently. Nevertheless, the fish and chips were very good, the batter was generally crisp, a bit doughy on the ends! We also had the French beef sandwich and dipped it into the jus. It was very good, with a hint of horseradish. No room for dessert! Probably the best place to eat in town, by miles!

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I liked Lassen Ale Works a lot. I got their beer taster tray and the sausage meal. The sausage and onions were tasty and the micro-brews were high-quality. The garlic fries were disappointing. (I think it was the first time I have ever disliked garlic fries.) I will definitely be back.

Unfortunately, my 18-year-old sister was not able to eat with us, because this restaurant's 19th-Century liquor license does not allow minors to enter the premises. I think that adults should be able to eat at 2 PM at any full-service restaurant. If I had realized this before stopping by, I would have gone somewhere more family-friendly.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Had dinner and drinks at the Lassen Ale Works on the last night of our road trip. This was our kind of place with good food and cold beer. Much thanks to the staff................

Reviewed July 20, 2014

The food at Lassen Ale Works has been consistently good. We've been there 4 times - 3 for lunch and 1 for dinner while travelling through Susanville. The service is generally good, but has been a little inconsistent at lunch. It's a very comfortable place and love that they've kept the historic feel. I would recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Claudia E
Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a great room for having a beer and pub food. The veggie (black bean) burger was outstanding, the tap beer selection of regional brews was impressive, and the service was upbeat.

2  Thank R4300JHchrisc