“Wonderful Food, Great Atmosphere”

Lassen Ale Works at the Pioneer Saloon
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Susanville
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Lassen Ale Works at the Pioneer Saloon in Uptown Susanville is NE California's only brewpub. The historic Pioneer Mercantile building we occupy has been home to a saloon for over 150 years--look for the large vintage neon Pioneer sign on the south side of Main Street. We offer a small but eclectic menu of house-made dishes including fish and chips, lamb stew, hamburgers and fresh salads. Our ales are made on site and include light and dark ales from the pale, crisp Bizz Johnson Blonde to the rip snorting Pioneer Porter. We also have a full bar, specialty cocktails, wines by the glass and a selection of single malt scotch. Take a seat at our 36-foot-long bar and admire the wall of local ranch brands above the bar back. Or watch the brewer at work in the back room and play pool beneath the historic mural that celebrates Susanville's logging and ranching roots.
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Susanville lacks good restaurants. Fortunately, this is one of the great ones. I had never tried fried pickles so I ordered to share. . . kinda wish I hadn't . . . shared that is! LOL! But then I wouldn't have wanted to eat my delicious chicken sandwich. My only complaint is that the glass of wine was a wee bit small. Another plus is that no kids allowed. . . I love my kids but it's nice to go out without children anywhere.

1  Thank Connie92453
There are newer reviews for Lassen Ale Works at the Pioneer Saloon

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife and my self along with 3 other couples has dinner at the ale house last night. The setting is great, the food was awesome and the beer. Well there's only one way to really know how the beer is and that's to go back for more. The Thompson Peak Pilsner is awesome. And at the end of the evening the price is right. Great job LAW.

1  Thank cubbiebear1
Reviewed March 22, 2014

While in a store shopping I asked a worker to recommend a brew pub that was good. Several people around agreed that this was a great place to eat. It was excellent. The beer was tasty and the staff was very friendly. Highly recommend.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

The atmosphere is fun. Wait staff is soooo nice!! Their hamburgers are out of this world! We took home 4 bottles of beer. My husband had the homemade sausages and the beer sampler. He said every beer was good!!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We were traveling from Mammoth Lakes to Oregon and stopped here for lunch. My husband and I both said we wished we were spending the night so we had more time to enjoy the Pioneer Salon and the wonderful atmosphere.
The menu was great, many selections from salads, soup, sandwiches and hot entrees. I tried the Basque Stew, it was fabulous. It has a little kick to it, may not be for everyone.
Since we were driving we did not get to try the ales but the coffee was great! Service was excellent and very friendly. Don't miss this place if you are passing through.
I have given this 5 stars relative to other brew pubs, whose food is often hit or miss.