“Happy we stopped”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: They used to be at 605 Main Street
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Currently finishing our meal at happy garden and can write a quick review because they have free wifi! Great food and plenty of it. We did the family style dinner and got almond chicken and barbecue pork. It came with soup, appetizers, fried rice and ice cream. All for under $24 for the two of us! I was especially impressed when the guy next to us was not familiar with Chinese food and he was not sure he would like his meal when it came. The waitress told him not to worry and gave him that dish for free and cooked him something she thought he might like better. Excellent and friendly service and worth a stop on that alone.

1  Thank Mataturider

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Arriving at this restaurant after a harrowing detour, we were treated like honored family members. The staff was friendly, hospitable, patient, and attentive. They had us smiling in spite of ourselves! The food was excellent. The egg flower soup was the best I have tasted any where. The vegetables were crisp and seasoned to perfection. The entrees are colorful, portions are generous, and the food is just delicious. Top marks!

5  Thank MegandBigGeorge
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Whenever I pass through Susanville I now always stop at Happy Garden for a great Chinese meal and the wonderful service from Margret and Phillip. The food has always been fresh and very tasty. I have always had wonderful and attentive service there and these guys are always willing to go the extra mile and make your dining experience there a great one, plus change any dish on the menu to have it just the way I like.

Very Happy with Happy Garden.

Highly recommended dishes are Mongolian Beef, Crispy Basil Prawns and Wor Wonton Soup.

6  Thank Bullwinkle S
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Nice folk and it is okay but their roast duck dinner was below my expectation. I would probably try one of the establishments if I wanted Chinese in Susanville.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My wife, the boys and I decided we would try the Happy Garden restaurant in Susanville California. I had looked at all the reviews and I found that the Lassen Ale Works was the #1 but it appeared that you had to be 21 and older to go there which quickly eliminated this as an option because our boys are 8 and 11. I determined this by the Lassen Ale Works website which had a disclaimer that said 21 and older to enter. So the number 2 place was the Happy Garden. When we arrived, we found the parking lot was quite full of vehicles which typically is a good sign that people like the food. When we got out of the vehicle we were overwhelmed by the very strong smell of rotting food garbage which was not a good first impression. I saw the garbage dumpster to the restaurant was in the parking lot area and it smelled horrible. We then walked to the front door of the establishment and found that the garbage odor did spill over into the restaurant a bit which was not so good. We were quickly greeted by a nice hostice with some really wild hair but she was very nice. We got a table within seconds of walking through the door (very nice!). Within about a minute a waiter had given us menus and the hostes brought us our drinks which was again very nice. I ordered the dinner for one with sweet and sour pork; my wife order the same but with mongolion beef, and the boys got fried rice and chow mein. We got our food within about 10 minutes of ordering which was very fast considering the restaurant was very busy and full.

Quick side note: I had read some reviews on this restaurant before we went there and found that one person rated the chow mein as horrible. I would have to disagree with that particular review as pan fried chow mein is just that "fried" which means it is cooked in oil or grease to achieve the desired doneness. It would appear that the person who had rated this so poorly should have chosen the other option of Chow Mein which was on the menu and the noodles are not cooked and are added later giving the meal the crunch texture instead.

We began eating our food and it was actually pretty good and so was everyone's food. My wife liked all of her food and so did the boys. My food was also very good. I have to give the restaurant a "high 5" on their ice tea. I am very picky about Ice tea as it is my drink of choice and I drink a lot of ice tea. I can tell if they have put some old ice tea into fresh ice tea which typically makes the ice tea have the stale or formented taste to it. The Happy Garden's ice tea was definitely a 10 meaning very good to excellent.

The end of the meal: our waiter brought all of us a one scoop of sherbert ice cream and gave us all a fortune cookie. The ice cream was very good but I have to give them another high 5 on the fortune cookie's. I have eaten a few fortune cookies in my 40 years young age and I must say their fourtune cookies were truly how a forturne cookie should taste. As soon as the cookie hits your mouth / tongue you can taste the vanilla which tastes very good. I have had other fortune cookies from different restaurants which taste terrible and stale but the Happy Garden's was very good and not stale.

Recapping the experience: the first impression of the rotting food smell / garbage was not so good and every time someone would walk past our table I would get a hint of that garbage smell which was terrible. Overall food experience: I would have to give them a 9 on the scale and a 10 on the ice tea. Overall service: I would have to give them a 10 as they were very busy when we got there but they still waited on us quickly and gave us our food within a reasonable amount of time which was about 10 minutes after we ordered our food. I would likely eat here again but I would hope that they could fix the smell of rotting food garbage so that does not effect the total experience or first impression. The people here were very nice, friendly and very eager to help us. I never once had to ask for any refills on Ice Tea either and that is how I judge how good of a tip they get and they indeed got a very nice tip.

5  Thank DBJ007