“Communication and Customer service opportunities”

Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Susanville
GreenLeadersGold level
Chico, California
“Communication and Customer service opportunities”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I made a reservation online and asked to bring my service animal. I spoke to Madeline on the phone. She had to go ask her manager if it was OK for me to bring my service animal. After being on hold she came back and asked me what my disability was. This is a HIPPA violation. I asked her if I could check out at 1PM instead of noon, she said fine. When I arrived the next day at check in no one knew of my service animal or my reasonable accommodation request. Madeline had noted on the reservation that I would be checking out at 1 PM the next day. The room had loose plumbing in the shower, the sink, the mirrored bypass closet doors were broken off the track. Not god shape. The maid and a house keeping have both been knocking on my door to tell me I need to check out. It is still 12:30 PM right now as I write this. The TV remote failed so I asked for batteries. I thanked the young man for the batteries. Then the front desk called and asked why I would not let him in to help us. I thanked them for the batteries and said my wife and I are lounging around this morning and did not want company. The food had very little flavor in the restaurant last night and looked like microwaved left overs out of the freezer even though they advertised " Wild Caught Mahi-Mahi." The "non-smoking area of the restaurant stunk like typical casino cigarette smoke. Dreck. The general staff is unfriendly and walking around in their own unhappy world. The service area's people were warm and friendly but no one else. I asked for simple directions to a local lake in the area that no one had heard of so they handed me a map and wished me good luck. I can not recommend this place until they fix their customer service and communication issues.

Room Tip: Pay less, get a cleaner room and free breakfast at the local Best Western.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Chad, I sincerely apologize for your inconveniences. We appreciate knowing where we can improve. Gary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Greater San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We found the hotel easily using our GPS device. It is a clean facility with great food at inexpensive prices. The rooms are nicely appointed, charming even! Bed comfy if a bit on the soft side. Compared with some of the other rooms that my company books, this was a notch above. I read the concerns about the coffee maker. Although I understand the inconvenience of figuring out the Keurig, I appreciate the better than normal flavor. Enjoyed shopping at the $10 shop. The employee who working our all day business event in the Board Room was very helpful and accommodating of our needs. I know I will return for business and I will recommend this venue to co-workers who will travel in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Eringorah, Thank you very nuch for your kind review. I will see that the banquet people also get to know about your review. Gary
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Boy what a place of contrasts. I was there 2 days on business in town, I was not ready for the smoking. Whats good first. The food in the casino was great and very affordable, the staff were also really friendly and fun. My room and floor was no smoking. Now the bad, everywhere smelled of smoking, the front door, the hallways, and the cafe. The furniture was cheap and showed it although the hotel is not very old, and I had to walk through the hallway downstaires to get to the single, only tiny elevator. The "Board Room" was off that hallway and the doors were open with what seemed like 300 smokers in there. If you gamble it would be okay, but I shall not be back.

Room Tip: 4th floor was "non Smoking"
Green Features: I'm really not sure they have any, the usual towel enviroment thing, but with the smoking it's all wasted
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Malcolm F
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Malcom, thank you for your comments. Gary
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

The hotel was very accommodating with our changing work schedule. The rooms were nicely appointed with refrig, mircowave, flat screen, and Keurig. The bed was too soft and lumpy as were the pillows; however, others in my group found the beds to be comfortable.
The gym was VERY small and stuffy.

I did not eat at the hotel due to the stench of cigarette smoke on the first floor. The paperwork at check-in had a statement that was highlighted which said illegal drugs were not allowed on the premises and the discovery of stuff would result in immediate removal from the property and MAY result in prosecution.....interesting!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank businesstraveler155
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Traveler, Thank you for your comments. We do enforce a zero tolerance policy and inform our guests of the same. One must remember that we are NOT technically in California, Federal laws apply here and many guests from California don't realize that fact. Gary
Poulsbo, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've stopped at this hotel many times on business trips. Very friendly staff, clean rooms and comfortable beds are just a few assets. Great getaway for a few days of leisure and if gambling is your kind of fun, they have it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Les, Thank you very much for your kind review. I'll post this for our staff. We also are very close to Lassen Volcanic Park and the Biz Johnson Trail. Gary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have stayed here a few times and every time has been wonderful. The beds are so comfortable, I haven't found any other hotel that compares to the beds here. The rooms are always very clean and you have everything you need in your room. My kids love the pool they have a blast when they are here. For the price its the best place to stay I would recommend it to all my friends and family. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank alison2930
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Alison, Thank you so much. I will post your review for the entire staff. Its always nice to hear that the efforts of the staff are paying off. Gary
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was heading to Reno by way of Susanville Ca. Big storm and icy roads, myself and three other friends decided to play it safe and spend the night. One of my friends suggested the above because she had gone to there dance club.
The room was nice and clean comfortable. A suggestion I would have is that they put real coffee makers in with real creamer. The two cup coffee makers are slow and require thinking in the morning when a person needs coffee to read the instructions. I noticed other people thought they were broken. There not, I initially thought the same. There to complicated for a person whose is half asleep! LOL!
The food was good at the restaurant and affordable. What I thought was interesting is people could smoke in the restaurant. For me that seriously distracts from the good food that's being served. If I had not been snowed in I would have ate somewhere else.
90% of the staff is very helpful and friendly. The other ten percent is the opposite.
I'm bring these things up so that management might address them. I think they are easy fixes. This is why I rated it average.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Carol, Thank you for staying with us. We always appreciate learning where we can improve. Gary