“Don't Smoke, Don't Gamble, Don't Go”

Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Susanville
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Don't Smoke, Don't Gamble, Don't Go”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Boy what a place of contrasts. I was there 2 days on business in town, I was not ready for the smoking. Whats good first. The food in the casino was great and very affordable, the staff were also really friendly and fun. My room and floor was no smoking. Now the bad, everywhere smelled of smoking, the front door, the hallways, and the cafe. The furniture was cheap and showed it although the hotel is not very old, and I had to walk through the hallway downstaires to get to the single, only tiny elevator. The "Board Room" was off that hallway and the doors were open with what seemed like 300 smokers in there. If you gamble it would be okay, but I shall not be back.

Room Tip: 4th floor was "non Smoking"
Green Features: I'm really not sure they have any, the usual towel enviroment thing, but with the smoking it's all wasted
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Malcolm F
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Malcom, thank you for your comments. Gary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Northern California
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The hotel was very accommodating with our changing work schedule. The rooms were nicely appointed with refrig, mircowave, flat screen, and Keurig. The bed was too soft and lumpy as were the pillows; however, others in my group found the beds to be comfortable.
The gym was VERY small and stuffy.

I did not eat at the hotel due to the stench of cigarette smoke on the first floor. The paperwork at check-in had a statement that was highlighted which said illegal drugs were not allowed on the premises and the discovery of stuff would result in immediate removal from the property and MAY result in prosecution.....interesting!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank businesstraveler155
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Traveler, Thank you for your comments. We do enforce a zero tolerance policy and inform our guests of the same. One must remember that we are NOT technically in California, Federal laws apply here and many guests from California don't realize that fact. Gary
Poulsbo, Washington
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've stopped at this hotel many times on business trips. Very friendly staff, clean rooms and comfortable beds are just a few assets. Great getaway for a few days of leisure and if gambling is your kind of fun, they have it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Les, Thank you very much for your kind review. I'll post this for our staff. We also are very close to Lassen Volcanic Park and the Biz Johnson Trail. Gary
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have stayed here a few times and every time has been wonderful. The beds are so comfortable, I haven't found any other hotel that compares to the beds here. The rooms are always very clean and you have everything you need in your room. My kids love the pool they have a blast when they are here. For the price its the best place to stay I would recommend it to all my friends and family. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank alison2930
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Alison, Thank you so much. I will post your review for the entire staff. Its always nice to hear that the efforts of the staff are paying off. Gary
Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was heading to Reno by way of Susanville Ca. Big storm and icy roads, myself and three other friends decided to play it safe and spend the night. One of my friends suggested the above because she had gone to there dance club.
The room was nice and clean comfortable. A suggestion I would have is that they put real coffee makers in with real creamer. The two cup coffee makers are slow and require thinking in the morning when a person needs coffee to read the instructions. I noticed other people thought they were broken. There not, I initially thought the same. There to complicated for a person whose is half asleep! LOL!
The food was good at the restaurant and affordable. What I thought was interesting is people could smoke in the restaurant. For me that seriously distracts from the good food that's being served. If I had not been snowed in I would have ate somewhere else.
90% of the staff is very helpful and friendly. The other ten percent is the opposite.
I'm bring these things up so that management might address them. I think they are easy fixes. This is why I rated it average.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Carol, Thank you for staying with us. We always appreciate learning where we can improve. Gary
Whistler
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Yes it is true that this is probably the best hotel in Susanville but that is not saying much. First off it is difficult to find. The hotel was probably once quite nice but starting to get cluttered, tired and junky. The lobby has huge signs advertising the $10 shop that sells jewelry, watches, etc., Nail Saloon, etc. Furniture in room is starting to get tired. The Keurig coffee machine was broken in my room. I went downstairs to get an Americano from the lobby coffee shop. Lots of staff enjoying the coffee bar and chatting. Tough to get their attention. Standing at the counter, your direct vision is of the sink and lots of containers of disgusting chemicals which make me nervous of how the equipment was cleaned. But then I looked at the floor and doubted that much cleaning was getting done. View from our room was of the back parking lot and clutter of leftover beer kegs, building materials and junk. Yes, we would stay again if we had too but will definitely plan our trips south so that we do not stop in Susanville. This hotel totally caters to Casino users.

Room Tip: Hotel is on the reservation, out of town and there are very few signs. Difficult to find.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MargiMC
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Margi, Thank you very much for your information. We always appreciate knowing where we can improve. Gary
Oregon
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is a nice small hotel. It's a bit out of the way, in the mountains just a few miles out of Susanville. Nice view, quiet. The bed was incredibly comfortable... I didn't want to get up for a change! Only problem I had was the Keurig coffee maker doesn't work... but I'm sure they'll take care of that when I tell them. Very polite staff. The restaurant in the casino is excellent , and the prices incredibly reasonable. The gas station is next door and is much cheaper than in town. It is a bit tricky finding the place, make sure you have directions as we missed the small sign in town totally in the congestion. And there is NO sign at all at the entry that we could see, until we passed it and there's a sign that says "make a u turn if you are going to Casino". That was just weird. Once we found it, it's a nice place.

Room Tip: Be careful using their web site for direct booking - make sure you get a confirmation number. I did...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear crangrammy, Thank you very much. I apologize for the signage, we have very strict city regulations. I will personally look into the website problem. Gary