“The authentic sushi experience!”
Review of Yume Ya - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Yume Ya
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Yume Ya is a small restaurant, with perhaps a dozen tables, each seating 2-4 people, and a bar with seating for 9 people. We came in at 6:40pm on a Friday evening, and were directed to the bar, as the empty tables were reserved. Sure enough, the tables were soon filled with Japanese natives. This should have been a clue that we were in for a great sushi experience.

I ordered the chicken teriyaki ($11.75), and the california roll ($6.50), while my wife ordered the assorted sushi plate ($22.75). Both dishes came with a salad and miso soup. Service was slow, as it took at least 15 minutes before the sushi dishes were ready, from the time we entered.

The california roll consisted of 8 pieces, each filled with a combination of avocado and crab, surrounded with a layer of seaweed, and filled with rice on the outside. The taste was absolutely delicious, with the freshness of the crab very apparent.

The assorted sushi plate had about a dozen sashimi rolls, including lobster, and giant claims, and a few cooked items, such as eel. Fresh fish of the highest quality

The chicken teriyaki dish had about twenty pieces of chicken sliced into sizes of about 3 inches by half an inch, over a bed of raw cabbage, accompanied by a bowl of rice. The chicken was very fresh.

There are countless Sushi restaurants in the South Bay. This is the best I have tasted, and I have sampled many. We have come here many times, and I have always had a great experience. I'm normally not a great sushi fan, but this restaurant has made a believer out of me. My wife and my tennis captain both know their sushi, and swear by this place.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Hidden in the back of a strip mall this place is just awesome. The menu has Izakaya dishes and there's a sushi bar as well. Not a thousand different crazy rolls drenched in mayo, but excellent, simple stuff, all based on high-quality fresh fish. Be sure to check out the whiteboard with the specials as well. We've never been disappointed here. Keep in mind that things come out of the kitchen in no particular order so sometimes you might have to wait a bit for everything to finally arrive. No matter, it's worth the wait.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

My daughter and I saw a little Japanese restaurant tucked into a corner of a strip mall and we decided to try it out. I'm from Hawaii where we have many fine Asian restaurants and I found Yume Ya to be authentic, tasty and reasonably priced. Their sushi chef seems very absorbed and busy, but we found him to be very talkative once the rush died down. The staff was efficient and friendly. The bathroom is clean too.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 7, 2008

The Yume Ya roll is heaven!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 14, 2008

Great place to go for small Japanese dishes. Prices are very reasonable, too.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook