“Great roll selection and friendly service”

Hanamaru Restaurant
Ranked #189 of 380 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is a great local Japanese restaurant that is not stuffy. Friendly service and good food. Large roll selection and hot food is good. Donburi is good and I like the bento box - good portions. Highly recommend this local casual place. Prices are reasonable - not too pricey.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I come here once in a while to treat myself to some delicious sushi. They have a great selection of rolls and they're all delicious! I HIGHLY recommend the Harley Davidson roll. The name doesn't sound very good, but it looks and tastes a lot better. Try to come during off peak hours. The place is not very big and it gets pretty packed during rush hour.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

A small place with tight seating but the sushi is varied and of high quality at reasonable prices.lots of choices well presented by a great serving staff.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

It took a couple coworkers to convince me to try this place out - but so glad they did! I was initially judging this restaurant to be exactly what it looked like from the outside: a small sushi restaurant in a shopping center mall in Nowheresville [I mean: Sunnyvale], CA. Anywho, we walked into a packed restaurant and enthusiastically greeted by couple of the servers on the floor. There weren't any tables available - so we opted for the Sushi Bar. Great experience all around! There were sushi boats floating around a moat built into the bar that had different sushi roll and seaweed salad options. I didn't go for any of those options - but easily spent 10 minutes reading the menu trying to decide on my dinner choices. I ordered Fireball (amazing) and Midori Musi roll (unreal). The Fireball was something my tastebuds had never experienced: a very generous serving of Spicy Tuna hand-rolled into a ball artfully wrapped in a whole, sliced avocado. The sauces included in the presentation of this dish were awesomely tasty too! After diving into the Fireball, and feeling helplessly full - I'm presented with the Midori Musi roll. The roll was huge, and tasted just as good as it was colorful!

Overall - awesome experience. The place is typically decorated - with a lot of hand-drawn signs featuring different sushi specials and desserts. Each of us really enjoyed our dinner choices and had a really great time! We will be back, for sure~!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I have visited Hanamaru many times in the past few months and make a point of going whenever I am in Mountain View. The staff are friendly, the sushi chefs are engaging and the restaurant operates efficiently to deliver excellent grade sushi to your plate. They have an excellent spicy tuna/avocado dish (on the board behind the chefs) that's a delight.