“Best Buffet of Indian Cuisine Ever”
Review of Turmeric

Turmeric
Ranked #65 of 379 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I ate here twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. Seriously the food here is so authentically good. The goat curry had meat that was so tender and tasting, falling off the bone. I recommend if you go here, go early and savor the dishes through till the end of the buffet time to really make the most of it. You can use as many plates one after the other as you want. Dee-licious!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We, three of us, had gone for the Sunday buffet lunch. The buffet spread was very good and the variety on offer catered to a wide palate. For starters there was gol-guppa / puchka / pani-puri (name of the same stuff - depending on the particular part of India) with the accompanying ingredients, such as chole, cubed alu (potatoes), dahi (curd), chutney etc. There was veg-noodles (made Indian style - Not Chinese), tandoori vegetables, stuffed mushrooms, tandoori chicken, crispy fried fish, mutton/goat curry, chicken tikka masala, chole/chana, veg-kofta curry, dal, punjabi kadhi (kadhi-pakori), a paalak (spinach) dish etc., plus rice-pulao, naan and for dessert there was gulab jamun and mango custard. The service was swift & efficient. The buffet is located on the 2nd floor of the restaurant and the seating area quite spacious and comfortable. We had an enjoyable sunday lunch. Interestingly, the lunch buffet price is same for both weekdays and weekends.

1  Thank Traveler-O-World
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very good food at this place. The waiter knew a lot about the food and was able to intelligently discuss the choices and ingredients.

1  Thank rawzins
Reviewed March 7, 2013

First, how to solve the Parking Problem: Parking is not plentiful in the street. We parked just south of the restaurant in the Target parking and it was only a short walk to the restaurant (visiting Target afterwards is also a treat - unique escalators that take shopping carts up and down).
We arrived at 5:45 pm, although the buffet is only supposed to start at 6:30 pm (and run until 10:00 pm), and we were among the first to arrive for the evening. The buffet actually got going by about 6:00 pm. There were couples, groups of adults and families with small children, all appeared to be enjoying themselves.
The buffet is held upstairs so probably not suitable for very elderly people. There is an area downstairs with a bar that would accommodate everything except the buffet.
They charge $12.95 for Friday, Saturday and Sunday buffet dinner. We added the Manchurian Cauliflower (one of my favorites) as an appetizer for $3.95 and it was excellent and good value. The manager was very kind and showed us around and made recommendations for us to try. I noticed he was like that with anybody who showed interest.
The Tandoori Chicken was very good as were the Tandoori vegetables and the naan breast. I had the Chicken Curry and I tried the Goat Curry. Neither the Chicken Curry nor the Goat Curry were to my taste, but my daughter-in-law enjoyed the Chicken. This was the first time I had tasted goat; I usually eat various lamb curries. The goat itself was surprisingly (to me) good and mild tasting. It was the curry sauce that I did not care for.
My son recommended I try the Gulab Jamun and said he had read it tasted like Koeksisters from South Africa. The flavor was, indeed, like Koeksisters, but whereas Koeksisters have a crisp shell, these were soft all through. My son liked them but the softness put me off.
I'll go back to this restaurant when I have the chance and I would like to try their Lamb Vindaloo

1  Thank Longmont_Mitch
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had just finished making some mornng sales calls with my local rep, and we went looking for lunch. We walked a couple blocks down Murphy Ave and saw a number of interesting and appealing places. However, I do not often have the opportunity to dine Indian so the placard advertising a buffet special drew us in. Wonderful! I am not schooled in all things Indian, though I've been to Delhi and Mumbai. The food here was on par with the best I have had.
The Naan bread was grilled just right for dipping in the various vegetarian and meat based sauces. Hot Tandoori veggies, the chic pea spread (not humus) was super, and saffron rice were staples on the buffet. This day there was a goat curry in the selection, excellent. The staff kept the Tandoori veggie tray fresh.
For dessert there were two options, a mango pudding and something called Gulab Jamun. The pudding was very nice, but if you have a sweet tooth double up on the Gulab. Imagine a very very light, spherical donut floating in a light, but very sweet maple syrup. I held myself to just one, but could have eaten several.
Don't miss out on this one. Wish I could go back soon.