“Good Breakfast”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sunnyvale
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Nice room and breakfast. We were there on a weekend. The bar (food) was closed. The breakfast was good. Nice selection. Eggs, potatoes, meat, breads. Nice attentive staff at the breakfast buffet. The only complaint was that the beds were uncomfortable. I woke up with a backache.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good points:
Friendly Staff
Comfy beds
Decent WiFi

Bad points
Paper thin walls - woken every morning by the hair drier next door!
Poor and expensive food
In the middle of a business park so nothing nearby
Tatty and in need of an update
Swimming pool is a paddling pool

I can't recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
John H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sunnyvale, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Daniel L.,

Thank you for your valued review of your most recent stay at our hotel. All guest feedback is welcome and appreciated. I am excited to see that you were able to enjoy the comfort of our beds, the friendly company of our staff, as well as our complimentary high speed wifi internet access. However, I did notice your concerns regarding a few areas of your stay that you found less than satisfactory. I would like to invite you to contact me at the property at any time so that we may discuss suitable remedies for future visits. I would like to mention that we are starting phase 2 of our property refresh process which will bring in many new and refreshing updates throughout our hotel's public spaces and guestrooms.

Once again, thank you for your time and valued feedback. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Sunnyvale area.

John H.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We where in town for the Bay Area Classic, which is a major fall NorCal recruiting tournament for girls fastpitch softball. We would be getting in at around 2am due to another engagement. I wanted something close to the Twin Creeks Sports Complex. This fit the bill, .23 miles from the park. It was 2am and I was exhausted, thinking about having to be up in 4 hours to shuttle my daughter to the complex. As I walked through the door I was greeted by Monette with a big cheerful smile and by name. I was checked in, told the best place to park, and access my room in what seemed like seconds. This was just the beginning of an over the top excellent stay. The room was nice, clean, quiet, and comfortable. The staff was helpful throughout my stay. Last, but not least, the breakfast buffet was much better than expected.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We booked this hotel through Hotwire for the night before an early flight out of San Jose airport. The hotel is located in a business park about a 15 minutes from the airport (on a Saturday morning with no traffic) ... but it seemed remote from a casual restaurant or shopping.

The people at the front desk were quite nice and check-in is quick. There are cookies and coffee across from the desk.

As Hotwire prepaid customers, we have noticed that we are assigned less desirable room locations. This time was no exception. Our room was located in a busy place, adjacent to a door leading outside the hotel, one to the business center and an elevator. On several occasions, we heard both adults and noisy children just outside our door. We didn't complain and fortunately, things quieted down after around 9 p.m.

The room itself was large, clean and well appointed (with a nice desk and chair), but showed a fair amount of damage from previous occupants. The louvered door to the closet was missing a few louvers, for example, and the door to the bathroom didn't close without a lot of effort. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was nice, with the vanity area outside the toilet / bath room. The bath towels were a fair distance from the bathtub, so be sure to hang yours on the back of the door within reach of the shower before you get wet.

Breakfast (included) was surprisingly good, with a fairly wide assortment of hot and cold items, including (powdered) eggs, sausage, corned beef hash, oatmeal, etc. The coffee was passable, juice choices (including guava) interesting.

We would definitely stay at this Country Inn again (at the right price), but not in the same room.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 103 unless you are really hard of hearing or not bothered by noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

On a trip with several legs, it was nice to stay at the Sunnyvale Country Inn and Suites. The room was nice and clean and it was very quiet despite the fact the elevator was near my room. The staff was friendly and the room comfortable. The only detractor was the strong room deodorizer when I entered the room, however my nose quickly adapted. Will definitely consider this hotel when I am in the area again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is THE hotel to stay in Sunnyvale. The rooms are spacious, modern, clean and comfortable. Great free breakfast with eggs, bacon or sausage, waffles you cook yourself, fruits, everything. Friendly staff. Here's what happened this morning: I went for an early breakfast and there were no complimentary Wall Street Journals. I asked one of the breakfast staffers, Angie Figurosa, if there were any WSJs. She went to the front desk and reported that they hadn't arrived. As I was eating the great breakfast, she appeared at my elbow with a WSJ that had just arrived. How often would you expect to get that level of personal service in a complementary breakfast buffet? These folks are terrific!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room (though perhaps they all are by now)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2012

After reading multiple outstanding reviews from previous guest, our travel group spent the weekend at the Sunnyvale Country Inn & Suites while touring the San Francisco area in early September. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out we could not asked for better results. Check-in was a breeze. the rooms clean and user friendly, beds comfortable, lobby area inviting and staff attentive. Can not say enough regarding the hot buffet breakfast, BEST EVER. It's clear why this property at an average nightly rate of $70 is so highly rated.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends