“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Mystic, CT
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

Usually book through priceline but going to corporate HQ so I booked through Corp travel.

Usually don't select Sheraton as my first choice but what a nice experience.The flight from the East Coast was late so I thought I would be stuck w/ the dregs. Not so. The guys checking in couldn't be more helpful, described the room and the choice I had to drive @ or just walk through the courtyard. I chose the courtyard and actually stopped for a few moments in one of the pool lounge chairs at 1am in the morn as it was such a pleasant oasis.

The business center was great as I had to access it for my next day redeye boarding pass. It's right in the lobby and could not have been better set up w/ multiple PC's, free wifi, a WORKING printer and food right next to it that you can pay at the front desk. Room was very clean, average size and average decor but I only had 4 hours to sleep anyway. Bathroom was fine, hot water and got me moving in the morn. I had a late checkout as I wanted to change for my redeye home and they actually gave me an extra couple of hours, I had a soda by the pool before heading back to SFO and it was a really good experience for what I would say was a business hotel.

BTW, also very easy to find coming off Route 101.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
Stockton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

I’d like to say the Sheraton Sunnyvale is my home away from home. It is truly a Green Oasis and definitely Resort like facilities as your website nicely put it.

We had two major family events going on and because of all the work and long days and nights we had during our event it was great to be able to come to a hotel and have that home away from home, it was a great treat.

My family of 7 stayed here 2 nights at the end of our week long week family event, all I can say is this place is great! The front desk employees were top notch, I’d like to especially thank Epenesa Pakola for her warm friendly smile always and Terry who so kindly helped make sure my children room was next door to me.

The rooms were spacious and very clean. The 2 rooms were perfect for my family. The pool and hot tub were perfect I had a great view outside my window and I was able watch my kids have fun as well, it was great to see the tour buses come in with other groups who came in for the night we were able to mix and mingle with them and had a wonderful time meeting other people who travelled from other countries. Some hotels are very stuffy and I must say it was nice to be able to relax yet still have fun. It was hard to leave but we will defiantly come back again and we often recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good room for a good value! I would defiantly rate this hotel as a 5 Star.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

We had a nice 2 night stay here last weekend, as we came to the area for a family gathering.
We got a real good rate of $79, using the AAA discount & chose the package that included the buffet breakfast in the restaurant. Also got the "deluxe" room--which has a view of either the pool or courtyard which was a good decision. Chose this as it is a 2 story hotel, surrounded by parking lot on 3 sides & if you got an exterior room (non deluxe) , you might have headlights shining in on your room if someone pulls in the parking lot.
We asked for a quiter room & got #513 which was great--facing the pool. The room was nice & clean & updated we chose a 1st floor room to get the little patio area outside. The bed was very comfortable & we slept great both nights.
The buffet breakfast in the restaurant was very good---nice selection of hot & cold items & also included any coffee or juice you wanted. All the staff we encountered --from room service, to front desk, to the restaurant were all very helpful & friendly.
Reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is no free wi-fi in the room (there is free internet in the lobby with the computers there though) & no refrigerator or microwave in the room. (you can get a refrig--but they charge you extra which I think is ridiculous & very cheap!) . But other Sheratons we have stayed at do the same thing--which is really a shame as this really knocks points off for them & is not very competitive at all.
Anyway, we had a great stay & would recommend this hotel & will stay here again when we come back to the area. Easy freeway access as well. Main reason we picked was location, having a restaurant & room service on site. :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reno, NV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

Purchased through hotwire however the desk upselled the poolview rooms for 10./night I have never had this experience before. I visit the southbay at least twice a month and will not be staying at this property again.

• Stayed March 2010
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

Very good hotel in Sunnyvale. Hotel was very near to my office, but the best I liked was the service of the staff and the rooms. The rooms were very neat, roomy and had very good beds. We got a very good rate and stayed here for 5 nights. The hotel was calm and had very good sleep after days long work. Good hotel to stay for people who travel to Sunnyvale.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

I booked this hotel through priceline for a rate of $49 per night, stayed 2 nights.

The hotel itself is somewhat unremarkable. As others have said, it's a 2 story motel. After requesting ground floor rooms, we were given rooms in the "exclusive"? section nearest to the lobby. This section required a key to enter, and had a lounge with continental breakfast.

Our rooms were positioned nearest to the exit ramp from 237, so there was a lot of car noise, and bright lights shone in from the parking lot. The next morning, we discovered that there were much nicer looking rooms adjacent to the pool, though I doubt we would have been given one of those with the Priceline rate.

The room was clean, but didn't look particularly updated. I thought the selection of TV channels was good -- included Comedy Central, Lifetime, TLC, and Showtime. My friend complained that the selection was not good, since they didn't have MSNBC.

We asked the man at the front desk for a recommendation of a good Chinese restaurant. He sent us 4 miles away to a very dicey looking place in a strip mall -- we didn't even bother going in.

The pool area looked nice, and larger than average for a hotel like this. The fitness room was average -- a few cardio machines, some weights and balls/mats.

All in all, the stay was comfortable and pleasant enough, but next time, I'd be sure to ask for a room away from the freeway exit ramp.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
sheratonsunnyvale, Guest Service Manager at Sheraton Sunnyvale, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay here at the Sheraton Sunnyvale hotel.

The management team has reviewed your comments and I am sorry that the room you were assigned was noisy and headlights disturbed your rest. The guest service agent did upgrade you but we will remind our staff to advise future guests that noise and light may be a concern for that particular room.

Please also accept my apology for the unsatisfactory restaurant recommendation. I have reviewed your comments with our concierge so that he can better explain the location and facilities for future restaurant recommendations.

Again, we truly appreciate your feedback and if we have the pleasure of hosting you again, please let our staff know if there is anything we can do to make your visit more comfortable.

Warm Regards,
Leticia Castellanos
Guest Service Manager
408-745-6000
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

The Sheraton Sunnyvale is an older hotel. However, it has been newly remodeled and everything is very "standard Sheraton," which is a good thing. The interior is very modern and sleek, with even High Definition Channels on the sleek LCD TV. The rooms are spacious and the Sheraton sleeper beds are awesome. I was very pleased with the quality of the room. They did a good job remodeling the place.

Service was okay. I didn't have many complaints. However, when I asked for a King, I instead got two Queens. I didn't bother to ask the front desk to change it, since two Queens was okay too. The hotel is somewhat like an apartment complex. There are a few two story buildings. The second floor has no elevator access.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Sheraton Sunnyvale and will come back. The value is very good. The room is priced at $99 per night. However, with AAA Card discount, it comes to $71, which is about 30% off, a significant discount. This includes a free breakfast buffet in the nice restaurant. In Silicon Valley, this is a better value compared to other similar hotels like Hilton Garden Inn Cupertino and Marriott Courtyard Cupertino.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
sheratonsunnyvale, Manager at Sheraton Sunnyvale, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
Thank you so much for the feedback--we truly appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel.

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed the remodeled rooms, flat-panel televisions and Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds and that the AAA rate was a good value.

I was disappointed to read that you were not assigned your preferred room type by the guest service agent. In some cases, the room type is not guaranteed or is unavailable but I'm happy that you were satisfied with the room anyway.

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and thank you again for your feedback.

Warm Regards,