“Tucked in for a fun night away”
Review of The Domain Hotel

The Domain Hotel
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We wanted to just get out and go have a fun evening where we could make a mess, lay in bed watch a movie and cupcake. What a fantastic hotel . 1st-BARGAIN under $70 , 2nd Staff was personable and friendly . Corey was sweet, quick to offer advice about the hotel and definately a plus to have on staff.
3rd Hotel has just been totally redone so it is funky and modern. Was not expecting to see this little jewel tucked into such a random area on El Camino ( but I will take it) Love the open space and the kitschy little lobby furniture. The color scheme is relaxing.
4th The rooms are not the W, but they definately thought of all the little things. From the sleep number beds, to extra pillows in the closet, Ample lighting , modern furniture (comfy). Wish they movies to order but it was ok.
5th- maybe it's because it was after christmas but we never heard anyone and we were situated in a room right about the dining area ( an inside room )

We didn't have a chance to try food or beverage service whether downstairs or room service but we'll be back so next time!
When my ffriends or family come to town, this is a great little hotel!

Reviewed December 21, 2010

We stayed at this hotel at the last moment's notice when we realized we could not sleep in our freshly painted house. Since we live in the area, I have seen a lot of hotels along El Camino Real. So I checked out a few hotels nearby (mostly well known big chains in the lower price market segment). Surprisingly, Domain Hotel offered a very reasonable rate - and the pictures on their website were gorgeous!

The pictures on the website are accurate - the hotel is very stylish and new. You can tell they did not go the route of buying the cheapest hotel furniture they could find. The most basic room has a King Size bed and is generously spaced (by California standards).

We had continental breakfast there in the morning (not free but very affordable), which offered a lot of choice: hot oatmeal, cold cereal, boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh bagels and muffins, tea selection, fresh fruit, etc.

One thing I was not quite thrilled about was the shower/bathtub leveling: no matter what I tried with the showerhead position and the curtain, I could not prevent the water from spilling on the bathroom floor.

If we ever have an overflow of guests at our house, I will definitely send them to this hotel.

Reviewed December 4, 2010

I had never hear of a Sleep Number bed until I checked in here. The firmness of the bed is adjustable. I have been known to have difficulty with too firm a bed so this was a wet dream come true for me. My lovely lady set her side of the bed for a setting she liked and I set my side of the bed to a fairly soft number. I haven't slept that good in a hotel for a long time.
There ARE cheap rooms in this hotel that have no window. I think one reviewer commented on that some time ago. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a room with a Sleep Number bed (deluxe I believe they call it) and you won't have an internal room, you'll get one that faces out toward the street or rear of the complex.
The lobby is very nicely decorated with high tech looking appointments. Rooms are equally furnished in a similar style. Lots of plugs for us tech people with things that need charging or plugging in.
There is a pool, hot tub, and restaurant on site, and dozens of international cuisine choices all within walking distance.
From my experience the Domain is a winner!

Reviewed November 8, 2010

The Hotel Staff was very hospitable and courteous. The breakfast was fresh, healthy, and well presented.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2010

It is a cute hotel with comfortable rooms, little bar, wonderful morning breakfast buffet. The rooms surround an open space which can easily walk down 3 flights of stairs to be in the center of the relaxed lobby.

It had ample parking and is close to many good restaurants. Our room had a little balcony which I so enjoyed on the 3rd floor.

The techy part comes in the little things like the phrase on one wall of the hotel room, the hotel's restaurant is called "Bytes" and some other odds and ends.

One of the quirks with the place is that the water pressure was low. No doubt to save water in California but still annoying to me. The water temperature took a while to warm up so we ended up turning on the shower and letting it run for a while which doesn't save water.

The other quirk was the restaurant doesn't operate from Friday through Saturday or Sunday. One night we were just totally tired and wanted room service and found out they didn't have it. We could order food outside of the hotel and did. Alas after an hour of waiting, we called the delivery place and canceled.

The morning buffet was excellent with good coffee and other assortments including cereal, eggs, fruit, yogurt, etc.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Based on TA review we booked hotel for one night with friends. We were placed in quiet atrium facing rooms which were clean, well appointed, and comfortable. Mattresses were great. Linens and bath towels were first rate. We were very pleased with the staff at the front desk and the quick check-in and check-out. We will definitely return. Water pressure was low on the third floor, but was being worked on during the day.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I love this hotel. Seriously love it. The staff is hands down the best I've ever seen, and I've traveled the world. They make you feel genuinely welcomed at every turn, and handle any problem wonderfully. It's in an odd location (lots of strip malls) and doesn't look like much from the outside, but it's definitely got modern luxury. Translation: it's not your grandmother's gilded overdone Rococo hotel. It's sleek and minimalist, but with every surface updated (granite, bamboo, beautiful fabrics, gorgeous wallpapers, etc). You can tell that each design element has been well thought out with your comfort in mind, like the empty fridge vs the overpriced pre-stocked fridge you see in many hotels. I'll definitely be back to this location when I come to San Jose, and will certainly look for more Joie de Vivre hotels in other cities. I'm hooked.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sunnyvale
Cupertino Inn
Cupertino Inn
#1 of 6 in Cupertino

Been to The Domain Hotel? Share your experiences!