“A quirky hotel, but a bad night's sleep”
Review of The Domain Hotel

The Domain Hotel
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The affordable price and small locally-based chain drew me to this location for a 1-night stay during a business trip.

My large, but odd room was a "lobby king", not adjacent to any outside wall. I've stayed in lots of Euro-style hotel rooms like that, but instead of just being entirely indoors, this room had a large window that opened onto a service corridor (I think). The blinds didn't quite cover this window either (it would have been easy enough to peek in from the hallway).

Room decor was decent. There was a lot of green/eco signage which was welcome, but the recycle bin was missing...

The wi-fi was free, but truly awful, even in the middle of the night, as I tried to get work done. My wifi connection was good, just the outbound link seemed all but unusable.

There was a lot of loud, creaky noise from upstairs. If I had been trying to sleep instead of work, it would have woken me up.

The large open lobby superficially reminded me of an Embassy Suites. There's a bar/restaurant in the lobby with a happy hour (nice touch). It's easy to find the hotel (off a major road) and garage parking is free. Staff we very nice and friendly on both check-in and check-out.

I liked the idea of this place, but being unable to work or to sleep well makes this Not Recommended. Try the Moorpark instead (same chain).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Omar S
Todd M, Manager at The Domain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Omarsidd,

Thank you for you kind comments about our staff. I have had your room inspected and we have remedied the sound in your room. This was clearly unacceptable and we thank you for bringing it to our attention. The recycling program at this property is the same however we manually separate the recycling vs trash. We love our environment and adhere to strict company standards when dealing with such.

I read all comments and take these reviews very seriously. We would love another chance at your business, so please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly and I will personally oversee your next stay with us.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

From the open airy lobby, a well appropriated breakfast bar, Jeff's superb service at the bar, and the room service staff's attention to detail, I couldn't be happier with my experience at the Domain. They even offer a frequent slumber discount by the name "Joy of Life" which will offer you further discounts on top of the already great service across their properties. Highly recommended!

Dear SlyderC,

Thank you for you kind comments about Jeff. He is one of our long term associates that understands making a people feel at home!

We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had a wonderful stay last weekend at The Domain. We live in SF and just needed a quick trip out of town to decompress after a 6 day work week. All we wanted was a pool and a few restaurants we could walk to. We got so much more than we expected (especially for the reasonable price) at this hotel. Very close to tons of restaurants and a few fun dive bars (Oasis down the street has a great Saturday Karaoke!). Nice modern rooms (sleep number beds!!), a cool little pool area, and a hotel bar with a decent happy hour and a wonderful bartender in Jeff made a quick trip turn into a very memorable experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Courtney and Jason,

We love to hear great feedback! Everyone needs a short vacation to relax and rejuvenate! We are happy you choose us. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly if you need help booking in the future. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed here for 10 days on business. It's a convenient location to a lot of local businesses and shopping. The breakfast buffet was excellent. I also enjoyed great service from Jeff the bar tender. Jeff is very friendly, engaging and it was nice to have someone to chat to on my extended stay.

Dear Anto R,

Thank you so much for your feedback. The recently updated breakfast bar will continue to evolve as we know our guest are always looking for a fresh experience. We are pleased you had a great stay with us. Your comments have been shared with Jeff.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had a very enjoyable weekend stay and I recommend it. Nice amenities and not overdone. Very lovely. I also really liked the new domain bathrobes so much that I bought one. They are exceptionally nice soft fabric compared to most others. I also enjoyed the very nice spa and breakfast at the restaurant. I love the modern décor and overall look and feel of the hotel. One more thing that was handled very well is that my original room had a problem with stains in carpet and blinds that were not working on the windows. If Holly had not called a few minutes after I went to my room to see how the room was, I probably would not have said anything. This was my first time staying in the hotel. Anyway, after I shared the problem without hesitation Holly offered me a better room and brought me keys. I was not expecting a higher level room but I was thrilled that she did this for me. Further Ruby at the front desk was very helpful in making a recommendation for a really good church to attend and print out directions. Holly and Ruby professional and high level of customer service made the difference for me on whether I will stay in The Domain hotel again. I will definitely do so.

Room Tip: Recommend deluxe or higher room and NOT overlooking the garage and also corner of building for quiet...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Thorner602,

Thank you so much for your feedback. You have a great eye. The bathrobes, Holly and Ruby are all new additions to our hotel. We cannot be more pleased that the service and amenities met your satisfaction. Stay tuned for more and follow us on Facebook!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Domain a couple of weeks ago. My husband and I were there on business. We spent each evening at the bar...just because the bartender, Jeff is so wonderful! The location is great and there are many other places we could have spent our evening, but purely because Jeff was so accomodating and friendly, we chose to spend our money there...GREAT service!! Great Place!

Room Tip: Even though its cool to have an inside room facing the open area, its kinda noisy in the morning whe...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mandie A,

We would like to thank you for choosing The Domain Hotel for your stay in the Bay Area. Nothing is more gratifying then receiving positive comments from our guest. We are excited to serve you in the future. Your comments have been shared with our guest superstar Jeff!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This place costs half as much as the last place I stayed in this area, and it's got three times the character. This is no cookie-cutter hotel. It's very nicely appointed, lobby and rooms both; happy hour here are local wines (I'm no connoisseur, but they were certainly tasty to my untrained palate). The happy hour appetizers were affordable, and excellent. The staff are all awesome, friendly and helpful (particularly Jeff). If I stay in the area again, I'm going to stay here, if I can possibly get away with it.

Dear theijilep,

Nothing means more to us than our guest satisfaction. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our complimentary wine hour and guest service. Please come see us again soon!